A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 04:09:35 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A little advice needed...  (Read 4119 times)
restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

Marble steps - Charm City

« on: August 03, 2007, 08:27:42 am »

I sold a car in May to a local lawyer. Two days ago, I got a fine in the mail with a picture of the license plate going through a toll (actually, I got 3 of them). Apparently the guy has not transferred the car into his name yet.

I called the number for ODOT (I assume it's ODOT) on the fine notice and explained that I no longer own the car. They said return the coupon on the notice with a bill of sale. Cool.

You guessed it: I am unable to locate the bill of sale. (Yeah, I'm a little disorganized - sue me) I have not contacted the buyer as yet, I wanted to get advice first. I don't want to get stuck with $150 worth of fines that are not mine - plus, if this is not resolved, any future violations will be my responsibility.

Any advice?
Wilbur
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 09:09:03 am »

I really don't have any advise on how to resolve the problem, but will tell you that you want to get it resolved soon.  The Turnpike Authority has the ability to prevent you from doing any business with any state agency until those tolls are taken care of.  Like state income taxes, driver license, license plates, .......  Get the problem resolved soon before it costs you more in the long run.

Will the buyer agree to a new bill of sale document?
restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 09:31:29 am »

Thanks, Wilbur. I haven't contacted the buyer, yet. I wanted to see if anybody else on here had gone through this and had some, "Whatever you do, don't contact the buyer until..." advice.

He seemed like a nice guy. Maybe if we both rode up in your cruiser to deliver the news...
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 11:32:57 am »

Report it stolen, that might work...

restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 11:50:54 am »

Can't - Wilbur is da fuzz and he knows about this already.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 12:09:56 pm »

Give the Oklahoma Tax Commision a ring.....

restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 12:33:04 pm »

You mean report him for not transferring the title within 30 days?

(They're gonna want a bill of sale, too.)
NellieBly
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 01:02:13 pm »

Better start looking for it. You know, it will be in the last place you look.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 01:44:12 pm »

You're only real option is to call the buyer.

What a cluster!    I guess this is why a lot of people go to the TAG agency together and sign the thing over.  I learned my lesson from you... thanks for your sacrifice.  [Tongue]

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
restored2x
Disgraced - AGAIN!
Civic Leader

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 09:19:01 am »

Thanks, guys.

I called OTA and explained that I had no bill of sale. The agent told me to write a notarized letter with all of the info on it (from car; VIN tag number. From buyer; name, phone, address) and send it in with the coupons on the bottom of the violation notice.

I also called the buyer and left him a message to inform him of what I'm doing. I figured maybe he bought this for one of his kids or something and maybe the kid hasn't done the proper paperwork. He may not even be aware that someone used the car on those days. It could also be that he forgot to put the PikePass thingy in the car that weekend.

Hopefully this thing will go away now. Thanks for the advice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org