A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 11:58:35 am
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burn Co BBQ  (Read 66502 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2012, 11:46:52 am »

Funny you mention sausage. . . 

Sausage will pick up more smoke than any other meat (because it's porous, and incorporates multiple fats).  If you put sausage on a smoker when it is cold, it will get a very nasty taste, because it will absorb creosote.  The reaction produces an almost "burnt plastic" taste.  I am willing to bet that this is what's happening.  You have to bring sausage (of any kind) up to temperature before adding it to the smoker.  You should really do this with all meats, but especially sausage.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some herbs do not react well with smoke.  Sage (the primary herb in breakfast sausage) is one of the worst herbs to use with culinary smoke.  Sausages with a strong sage flavor can produce strange results (pine tree taste) when smoked.  A mild sausage, is best.  Stay away from meat seasoned with sage, rosemary, bay and marjoram.  If you use these herbs, use them in finishing (after the smoke) only, and use them sparingly, as they compete with the smoke flavor in a bad way. The best rule of thumb in BBQ seasoning is to stay away from any herb with "back of the tongue" flavor.

The spices that work best with the smoke process are the ones on the other end of the flavor spectrum (front and middle of the toungue) like thyme, black or green peppercorn, grains of paradise, paprika, cardamom, celery, cumin, ginger, coriander, allspice, nutmeg (small quantities), and of course onion/garlic powder.  You want to take advantage of the savory nature of these spices and the sweetness of whatever natural sugar you use in your rub/sauce.  Any of the back of the tongue flavor should come from the smoke.

Joe wins awards for his sausage, so it may have just been a fluke, or perhaps a "pit-master in training" problem.

Could have been...just had an off taste that I couldn't identify.  Didn't like it very much, but was not actually repulsed by it.  Could just be an acquired taste kind of thing, too.  But I am not a big fan of barbeque sausage usually.  I tend to go more toward the BlueGold type for breakfast, or the German/Bavarian style sausages.  Summer, brat, knack, etc.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2012, 12:40:40 pm »

I am not a big fan of barbeque sausage usually. 

That's what she said.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2012, 04:32:05 pm »

Sausagefest?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2012, 08:31:36 am »

Sausagefest?

Foot-long....WoW...!

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2012, 01:09:16 pm »

Once again, another stellar outing.  This time tried both things I haven't had (pulled pork sammich; baked beans), plus had a burnt end rib (nomnom).

The pork was out of this world tender and needed no sauce.  The baked beans were smokey and sweet and were quite good.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2012, 01:13:34 pm »

Wish I could have eaten more of the beans.  They could use some tweaking (just had to reference the PE debate Wink ) though.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2012, 01:16:47 pm »

They do have great beans!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2012, 01:19:14 pm »

Wish I could have eaten more of the beans.  They could use some tweaking (just had to reference the PE debate Wink ) though.

Yeah, I kind of wished I had used that greeting on you now...I was going to tell him I was running behind because I needed to buy a case of Sudafed...

Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2012, 02:16:50 pm »

They do have great beans!

Seriously? It is literally:

mixed with
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2012, 02:22:24 pm »

mixed with

And that equals

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2012, 07:34:39 pm »

mixed with

Well it works whatever it is.  Almost as good as Oklahoma Joe's.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2012, 10:11:41 am »

Wish I could have eaten more of the beans.  They could use some tweaking (just had to reference the PE debate Wink ) though.

DO THIS!
3 GUYS SMOKIN' BEANS

In competitions with a bean category we use this exact recipe except we put the beans in the "cool" part of the smoker (180 to 200) all day long and allow them to form a nice caramelized smoky crust on the top.  If you have ever had our beans at AOB, Bixby, or the Royal, this is what you have had.

A few hints. . .chop your peppers and onions in exactly 1/2 inch perfect squares.  Use a good pork sausage and good quality bacon, none of the cheap stuff. Do not use a heavily herbed sausage.  Jimmy Dean mild or mild with maple is excellent.  If you just happen to have any burnt ends (as we typically do), for God's sake, throw them in!

Warning: These beans will cause you slap your momma, and in-turn cause her to slap her momma, possibly erupting into a case of domestic abuse that could result in incarceration.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:23:29 am by Gaspar » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2012, 10:17:43 am »

Yum!

I like to start with dry beans...

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2012, 10:24:37 am »

Yum!

I like to start with dry beans...

If you do, cook them several days in advance and allow them to refrigerate un-drained.  Otherwise you will get tough skins.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2012, 11:54:05 am »

Funny you mention sausage. . . 

Sausage will pick up more smoke than any other meat (because it's porous, and incorporates multiple fats).  If you put sausage on a smoker when it is cold, it will get a very nasty taste, because it will absorb creosote.  The reaction produces an almost "burnt plastic" taste.  I am willing to bet that this is what's happening.  You have to bring sausage (of any kind) up to temperature before adding it to the smoker.  You should really do this with all meats, but especially sausage.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some herbs do not react well with smoke.  Sage (the primary herb in breakfast sausage) is one of the worst herbs to use with culinary smoke.  Sausages with a strong sage flavor can produce strange results (pine tree taste) when smoked.  A mild sausage, is best.  Stay away from meat seasoned with sage, rosemary, bay and marjoram.  If you use these herbs, use them in finishing (after the smoke) only, and use them sparingly, as they compete with the smoke flavor in a bad way. The best rule of thumb in BBQ seasoning is to stay away from any herb with "back of the tongue" flavor.

The spices that work best with the smoke process are the ones on the other end of the flavor spectrum (front and middle of the toungue) like thyme, black or green peppercorn, grains of paradise, paprika, cardamom, celery, cumin, ginger, coriander, allspice, nutmeg (small quantities), and of course onion/garlic powder.  You want to take advantage of the savory nature of these spices and the sweetness of whatever natural sugar you use in your rub/sauce.  Any of the back of the tongue flavor should come from the smoke.

Joe wins awards for his sausage, so it may have just been a fluke, or perhaps a "pit-master in training" problem.

Sausage has to be cooked in beer first to make the casing snap. You can disagree with me...but you'd be wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org