A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 12:20:57 pm
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Community Gardens in Tulsa - zoning change!  (Read 31989 times)
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2009, 10:32:03 am »

The City Council will vote on this tomorrow (March 26th).  If you would like to support Community Gardens in Tulsa, be sure to let the councillors know.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2009, 11:19:34 am »

The City Council will vote on this tomorrow (March 26th).  If you would like to support Community Gardens in Tulsa, be sure to let the councillors know.

Done!

+1  Thanks for letting us know.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2009, 09:00:51 pm »

City Council approves the ordinance with a few changes:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=298&articleid=20090326_298_0_TheCit245044

Requirements include posting a sign to notify the neighborhood, and providing written notice to the abutting property owners.  I don't know that the changes were necessary, but they don't seem to be much of a problem, either. 

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2009, 07:35:46 am »

Hurray!  Good decision.

Now we can grow our pot.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2009, 07:46:27 am »

Essentially, to get the permit for a community garden you need to:

1) Get the permission of the land owner.

2) Notify immediate neighbors in writing.

3) Post the name and address of the owner so people can complain (might be a sticking point for a few people).

4) Remove dead plants by October 31st.

5) No powered gardening tools outside of 8am to 8pm.

They seem somewhat unneeded, but are reasonable restrictions.  Interestingly, none of them will stop pot plantations from sprouting up all over north Tulsa.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
buckeye
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2009, 10:13:47 am »

R i g h t   o n    m a n ....

This is cool.  I'm very interested to see how they play out!
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2009, 03:57:50 pm »

Still have to wonder how anyone got the idea that pot would be grown in community gardens that is what basements are for.

Tongue

Thank you,
Robert Town
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2009, 11:45:02 am »

Cool!  So now, when my next door neighbor starts mowing his lawn at 7:00 AM on a Saturday, we've  got a legal precident!  I can go to the City Council and insist that ALL power equipment for lawns and gardens be operated from 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM. 

Of course, I'll be mowing MY lawn at 8:30 PM in July.  But don't worry, I'll post a sign in my front lawn, and include a bogus phone number, in case there are any complaints....  (Perhaps one of those tech support 800 numbers that take you directly to India for assistance!  Or better yet, a 1-900 number that would charge by the minute...)

These are dorky additions to the city ordinances.  Sometimes, I think it's the grownup equivalent of kids scribbling on walls.  They do it b/c they can...and haven't learned restraint.

Just for fun, take a look at all the nusiance laws already on the books.  And don't you dare spit on the sidewalk!  (It's illegal!)
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2009, 02:22:52 pm »

Additional thoughts on the signage requirement for community gardens...

On one hand, posting contact info is not necessarily bad, b/c most people who call will probably be interested in getting involved.  ("How can I help?")

On the other hand, if someone calls the property owner with a complaint, then what?  Does the ordinance require the property owner to care or respond...or even answer the phone?

Complainer: "I have a problem with your garden."
Garden owner: "Uh-huh."  (Click.)

I couldn't find anything other than the Tulsa World article that describes the Council's additions to the ordinance amendment.  The "backup documentation" in the City Council agenda includes the language before the council made their additions. 

How big is the sign?  Too big and it's distracting and obtrusive.  (I would call the property owner just to complain about the size of the sign!)  Too small, and it defeats the so-called "purpose."
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2009, 03:27:09 pm »

The signs should just be visible and eye catching like this one:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org