A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 06:12:40 am
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boston Marathon Bombing  (Read 64109 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2013, 03:57:57 pm »

Why Should I Care That No One’s Reading Dzhokhar Tsarnaev His Miranda Rights?
When the law gets bent out of shape for him, it’s easier to bend out of shape for the rest of us.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2013/04/dzhokhar_tsarnaev_and_miranda_rights_the_public_safety_exception_and_terrorism.html

Him being unconscious from blood loss was one reason given for not reading Miranda,
but to admit that opens up the can of worms surrounding the boat being shot up in the first place.

Then there is the question of how long they knew he was there after the police chopper spotted his body heat on FLIR.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/20/boston-marathon-dzhokhar-tsarnaev-mirnada-rights
First, the Obama administration has already rolled back Miranda rights for terrorism suspects captured on US soil. It did so two years ago with almost no controversy or even notice, including from many of those who so vocally condemned Graham's Miranda tweets yesterday. In May, 2010, the New York Times' Charlie Savage - under the headline "Holder Backs a Miranda Limit for Terror Suspects" - reported that "the Obama administration said Sunday it would seek a law allowing investigators to interrogate terrorism suspects without informing them of their rights." Instead of going to Congress, the Obama DOJ, in March 2011, simply adopted their own rules that vested themselves with this power, as reported back then by Salon's Justin Elliott ("Obama rolls back Miranda rights"), the Wall Street Journal ("Rights Are Curtailed for Terror Suspects"), the New York Times ("Delayed Miranda Warning Ordered for Terror Suspects"), and myself ("Miranda is Obama's latest victim").

That's  our Patric, more worried about the evil police than the perpetrator that robbed our society of this child:  

At some point, your schtick gets real old. And almost like crying wolf.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2013, 04:00:42 pm »

It does, and some like-minded confederates also think due process and civil rights can selectively be ignored.
As a free country, we have certainly lost something fragile and precious in this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcJPaJt1VoE[/youtube]

This will make you happy Patric, a 26 year old police officer was killed, and another seriously wounded. The cherry on top? They left families behind. Party time at Patric's house!!!

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2013, 05:27:23 pm »

Now you are talking. Maybe an amputation without anesthesia, just like this guy got.

Rated PG-13 version.

Is that Christian Bale?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2013, 06:17:21 pm »

Him being unconscious from blood loss was one reason given for not reading Miranda,
but to admit that opens up the can of worms surrounding the boat being shot up in the first place.

Being unconscious sounds like a good reason to delay reading Miranda.

I missed it.  Was this "person" shooting at the police from the boat?  If so, I have no problem with the police shooting back.  I also think the boat owner should be compensated without having to make a claim on his insurance.  I would be willing to send a few bucks. 

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2013, 09:49:14 pm »

Was this "person" shooting at the police from the boat?  If so, I have no problem with the police shooting back.  I also think the boat owner should be compensated without having to make a claim on his insurance.  I would be willing to send a few bucks.  

$50K ought to do it.
The suspect had no weapons when they arrested him.

That's  our Patric, more worried about the evil police than the perpetrator that robbed our society of this child:  

Im not so much worried about his civil rights as I am yours
when sidestepping them becomes easier with each justification.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 09:53:27 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2013, 10:06:56 pm »

Talk about unintended consequences. With the current Congress being adamantly against anything and everything Obama, they left the door open for him to arbitrarily change policy. Its no lose for the executive branch. Way to go Teapartiers.

I still think we are playing stupid by calling these crimes terrorism, to placate right wing politicians who hope to be reelected on chest thumping. Unless the intent is to exact increased control of our population through irrational fear, which is what the far right is most afraid of anyway.

Call it what radicals most fear....not sacrifice but pre-meditated murder....and they lose their power to persuade losers to throw away their lives for nothing.

The "terrorism" charge probably fits (more so than the three Occupy Chicago protestors still being held without trial in Cook County) but calling an American citizen arrested on American soil an "Enemy Combatant" is just a reckless application of authority that will only serve to delay justice.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2013, 08:46:19 am »

Im not so much worried about his civil rights as I am yours
when sidestepping them becomes easier with each justification.

I agree. One of the best things about America is the freedom of wrongful prosecution.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2013, 09:10:17 am »

$50K ought to do it.

So if 10,000 people sent $5 each, he would be covered.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2013, 07:38:29 am »

I hope they water-board the smile outta the surviving piece of trash.....!!!!

And maybe a meeting with Big Bob....Smiley  and for patric's benefit, here is someone that talks his language.

http://twitchy.com/2013/04/21/meet-the-next-alex-jones-dzhokar-tsarnaev-supporter-troy-crossley/

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2013, 08:53:12 am »

I hope they water-board the smile outta the surviving piece of trash.....!!!!

Of course you do...that's what we always expect from you!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2013, 09:12:58 am »

I just heard an informed, intelligent discussion of why he may not have been mirandized. First off, he had tried to cut his own throat which makes it difficult to respond. Secondly, he was semi conscious which also is a problem and lastly, they have enough evidence accumulated that lack of a Miranda doesn't really hinder prosecution.

Anyway, one has to wonder just how effective water boarding would be on a semi conscious, suicidal, seriously injured patient.

onward...through the fog
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2013, 09:39:09 am »

Anyway, one has to wonder just how effective water boarding would be on a semi conscious, suicidal, seriously injured patient SUSPECT.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2013, 09:45:59 am »

I'd chance "suspect" to "terrorist". But your point is taken.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2013, 12:06:31 pm »

This will make you happy Patric, a 26 year old police officer was killed, and another seriously wounded. The cherry on top? They left families behind. Party time at Patric's house!!!

As educated and successful as you are, you can sure come up with some profoundly ignorant s$$$ sometimes.... like now.

You know better than that.  On all counts.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2013, 12:07:05 pm »

I just heard an informed, intelligent discussion of why he may not have been mirandized. First off, he had tried to cut his own throat which makes it difficult to respond. Secondly, he was semi conscious which also is a problem and lastly, they have enough evidence accumulated that lack of a Miranda doesn't really hinder prosecution.

Anyway, one has to wonder just how effective water boarding would be on a semi conscious, suicidal, seriously injured patient.

Curious how informed that was considering it has been reported repeatedly it was a gunshot wound to the neck or mouth or is this a new development since this morning?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org