A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 06:34:51 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I sincerely hope..  (Read 46134 times)
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2013, 07:28:50 pm »

It appears that Blake and Elliot ticked off ABLE and/or TPD.  Been ruffling a few feathers?

Ask former councilor Joe Williams what happens when you dont toe the FOP line
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=13&articleid=010718_Ne_a1repor
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2013, 07:39:22 pm »

A couple of officers is all that is needed for such checks.  One would hope that even then, if possible, they would be considerate of the business and not come in at the busiest/most disruptive time.  The police are there to serve and check, not disrupt.

The other day a young lady and gentleman came into our shop to check if we had our sales tax permit and had it posted in a prominent space.  This imho would be a bigger deal than the video game stickers.  It would have flustered me and disturbed my customers if half a dozen police officers would have come in to do this.  As it was they looked like everyone else and were very friendly and did their job.  I had not had it posted at our new business, but looked through my files and found the permit.  Had there been a lot of police there I might have felt very nervous and may not have found the permit lol.  I didn't know the permit was supposed to be posted and asked the couple how I was supposed to know that.  The guy then pointed at the sheet I was holding and it clearly said "post in a prominent place" lol.  I was like "Oh" Roll Eyes   Grin  

Anyway, why it would take that many police officers going in like that to check on what they were checking,,, well it's wasteful, and inconsiderate.        

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2013, 09:27:16 am »

A couple of officers is all that is needed for such checks.  One would hope that even then, if possible, they would be considerate of the business and not come in at the busiest/most disruptive time.  The police are there to serve and check, not disrupt.

The other day a young lady and gentleman came into our shop to check if we had our sales tax permit and had it posted in a prominent space.  This imho would be a bigger deal than the video game stickers.  It would have flustered me and disturbed my customers if half a dozen police officers would have come in to do this.  As it was they looked like everyone else and were very friendly and did their job.  I had not had it posted at our new business, but looked through my files and found the permit.  Had there been a lot of police there I might have felt very nervous and may not have found the permit lol.  I didn't know the permit was supposed to be posted and asked the couple how I was supposed to know that.  The guy then pointed at the sheet I was holding and it clearly said "post in a prominent place" lol.  I was like "Oh" Roll Eyes   Grin  

Anyway, why it would take that many police officers going in like that to check on what they were checking,,, well it's wasteful, and inconsiderate.        

I guess I don't understand why the city needs any police officers to check arcade game licenses.  That is not a good use of police officer's time and resources.  Let a regular city employee check the arcade license, much like the sales tax notice.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2013, 09:59:36 am »

I doubt it would be unreasonably disruptive if only a couple of officers were sent in.

Fully dressed out with a gunbelt?  It's very disruptive.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2013, 10:48:07 am »

I guess I don't understand why the city needs any police officers to check arcade game licenses.  That is not a good use of police officer's time and resources.  Let a regular city employee check the arcade license, much like the sales tax notice.

I agree.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2013, 10:53:46 am »

If I am a father with my family in Back alley, Joe Momma's or el Guapo and I see a caravan of uniformed officers walking through the door.  The first thing I do is check and see if they are there for dinner, if they are, AWESOME, my kid would love it.  However, if they appear to be there on business, I am going to be nervous.  Not because of anything I have done, but because I expect the place to be safe and if 10 people walk in on business you are going to think the absolute worst.  And if I found out they are just there to write some citations on video games, I would be pretty ticked as a tax payer.

I disagree that anytime should be reasonable for compliance check.  A liquor license, food handlers permit, etc are all things that you should have regardless of time of day.  Compliance checks should be done at times to minimize the impact on the place being reviewed.  Additionally, if a place doesn't have the needed documentation, I would much rather be shut down before I have my evening rush, not during.  

The actions of the police department and ABLE are unprofessional.  You should work WITH businesses, not against them.  With the show of force for this action, you have shown that you are against them and against the successful operation of their business.  You are really going to get people interested in relocating downtown if this is what they can expect.    

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2013, 11:37:39 pm »

Well, then you'd have to have regular 9-5 city workers responsible for Enforcement of Codes,
sort of a, oh, what would you call it...

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2013, 08:37:23 am »

Well, then you'd have to have regular 9-5 city workers responsible for Enforcement of Codes,

I'm drawing a blank? Crossing Guard?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2013, 08:50:31 am »

Department of Revenue / Revenooers

dbacks fan
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2013, 01:54:09 pm »

You mean a department of a city that has advanced past prohibition jackbooted thuggery? Not sure what you would call it. Code something or other sounds familiar.......
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2013, 02:29:42 pm »

You mean a department of a city that has advanced past prohibition jackbooted thuggery? Not sure what you would call it. Code something or other sounds familiar.......

Business Licensing Services Harassment & Intimidation Task-force

B.L.S.H.I.T. for short.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
dbacks fan
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2013, 02:31:12 pm »

Business Licensing Services Harassment & Intimidation Task-force

B.L.S.H.I.T. for short.

Perfect! We have a winner!!!!
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2013, 07:10:01 pm »

You're being a bit naive if you really think what they were doing really had anything to do with license compliance.
dbacks fan
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2013, 09:26:09 pm »

You're being a bit naive if you really think what they were doing really had anything to do with license compliance.

Oh, that's right, they were planning to have tea and crumpets.    Roll Eyes
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2013, 12:08:43 am »

Tulsa World is now on top of things

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=298&articleid=20130216_296_0_usiycu982619
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org