A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 12:38:13 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Restoration Contractor and Mold  (Read 3807 times)
Chacha
Tourist

« on: January 29, 2014, 09:34:15 am »

Hi,

My refridgerator had a leak and the water has gotten under Saltillo tiles and into the baseboards and dry wall.  The house was built in 1979 and they installed the tiles after the cabinets and at some time someone removed the side wall next to the fridge so they could put in a bigger fridge.  So there is a channel between tiles running about 3 feet long, 2-3 inches wide and about 1-1 1/2 inches deep.  The leaking water went into the channel which is under the fridge so we were not aware of the leak until some efflorescence (moisture moves through the tile leaching salts/minerals with it and when the water evaporates the salt is left on top of the tile) started appearing on tiles.  After shutting off the valve supplying water to the fridge, the channel dried out.

I have made a claim with our insurance company.  They sent their preferred contractor (SerfPro of South Tulsa) out to look at it.  He wouldn't make any recommendations until the insurance adjuster looked at it.  He did take some drywall off and found mold on the interior.  He had a moisture meter which registered saturation (moisture) under ~170 tiles (1 foot square).

I then got Burggraf to come out and look at it.  They had the moisture meter along with a thermal imaging equipment and identified a larger are of water damage.  They alos claimed we have a leak in the plumbing in the wall behind the fridge based on the moisture pattern on the drywall on that wall.

The insurance adjuster is coming out today.

Does anyone have any recommendations on good contractors to deal with the problems?

Our concern on the mold is finding how far it may have spread and documenting it is gone for when we sell the house.  The insurance has a $5,000 limit on mold damage.

Thanks,

Chacha
rdj
City Father

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 09:35:25 am »

I've heard good things about Reset Restoration lately.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 09:41:56 am »

Doen’t Burggraff do those sort of repairs/remediation?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
HoneySuckle
Philanthropist

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 12:52:26 pm »

From my experience, they won't come out until you get someone to check whether it's hazardous mold or regular mold.

I don't like that company.  The owner is extremely rude, and his staff isn't any better.

HoneySuckle
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 06:22:20 pm »

Hi,

My refridgerator had a leak and the water has gotten under Saltillo tiles and into the baseboards and dry wall.  The house was built in 1979 and they installed the tiles after the cabinets and at some time someone removed the side wall next to the fridge so they could put in a bigger fridge.  So there is a channel between tiles running about 3 feet long, 2-3 inches wide and about 1-1 1/2 inches deep.  The leaking water went into the channel which is under the fridge so we were not aware of the leak until some efflorescence (moisture moves through the tile leaching salts/minerals with it and when the water evaporates the salt is left on top of the tile) started appearing on tiles.  After shutting off the valve supplying water to the fridge, the channel dried out.

I have made a claim with our insurance company.  They sent their preferred contractor (SerfPro of South Tulsa) out to look at it.  He wouldn't make any recommendations until the insurance adjuster looked at it.  He did take some drywall off and found mold on the interior.  He had a moisture meter which registered saturation (moisture) under ~170 tiles (1 foot square).

I then got Burggraf to come out and look at it.  They had the moisture meter along with a thermal imaging equipment and identified a larger are of water damage.  They alos claimed we have a leak in the plumbing in the wall behind the fridge based on the moisture pattern on the drywall on that wall.

The insurance adjuster is coming out today.

Does anyone have any recommendations on good contractors to deal with the problems?

Our concern on the mold is finding how far it may have spread and documenting it is gone for when we sell the house.  The insurance has a $5,000 limit on mold damage.

Thanks,

Chacha

Call Cox Environmental at 918-740-5551.  They came highly recommended by Espo Fire and Water Co.

Cox is doing the mold damage check and the type of mold at our house.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 11:29:54 pm »

Ouch!!  Guess you can't/won't do the repair yourself...?   (Doesn't sound like that big a thing....)

I haven't tried it yet, but have a good friend who said he uses Angies List for the area and has been very happy with the recommendations there.  I am gonna give it a shot for some stuff I am going to be forced to get help with since there is so much unwarranted government intrusion into my personal life - the city won't allow me to do my own A/C work, even using the new R-410a refrigerant!  Narrow minded bunch of busy bodies....  Luckily, I can still do the electrical work!

Just a thought....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 06:41:12 pm »

Luckily, I can still do the electrical work!

The city inspectors wont sign off on work that isnt done by a licensed contractor, just so you know.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 06:47:46 pm »

The city inspectors wont sign off on work that isnt done by a licensed contractor, just so you know.

Don't need them to.  As long as I am gonna live in the house for two years or more, it is ok, according to the person I talked to about it.  And anything I would do would be light years ahead of what the city approved from Colburn Electric in the past.....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org