A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 12:57:10 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pearl District & form based codes  (Read 5427 times)
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« on: October 21, 2007, 09:31:04 pm »

For those who didn't hear, last week at the TMAPC meeting it was announced that the mayor has officially requested that INCOG begin a trial program for formed based codes in the Pearl District.  Next step will be to hire a consultant to draft the ordinances, and begin the process.  It will still take some time before it actually happens, but the ball is rolling.  It will be interesting to see the effects.

Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 10:02:46 pm »

Glad to hear it.
Rico
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 10:08:00 pm »

How does anyone think this will affect the asking price for Mister K's property...? ( and I don't mean Kanbar..)

That area could become a Booming little suburb...

[}:)]

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 08:18:21 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Rico

How does anyone think this will affect the asking price for Mister K's property...? ( and I don't mean Kanbar..)

Dont know the person our property you are referring to, but from what I hear many of those properties are already too high. If they stay the same, it wont make any difference, if the prices go higher, wont make any difference. People still wont pay those prices. Easier to take your money and go south or to other areas where you will be able to make more money.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Rico
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 10:33:26 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

quote:

Dont know the person our property you are referring to, but from what I hear many of those properties are already too high. If they stay the same, it wont make any difference, if the prices go higher, wont make any difference. People still wont pay those prices. Easier to take your money and go south or to other areas where you will be able to make more money.

The person owns most of the stuff  from 6th and Peoria East along 6th Street.... Don't know the exact holdings he has...

Point was.

The price has always been high... He bought most of them when there was nothing but slum in that area.

I think if their can now be "mixed use development "by right"... The prices will begin to look more attractive to people that have had an interest in the property for quite some time...

"Easier to take your money and go south or to other areas where you will be able to make more money.">>>The Artist.

Yeah always kinda figured you to be one of those "Burbanites"...

[8D]
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 11:20:26 am »

That is a good point that a person can feel more confident that when they build something in the area, once the form based codes are in, they will not get a neighbor who will do something that will not compliment them. You will be more assured that something decent will go in next to you, have proper set backs, parking behind, etc.

I have always been a firm advocate of downtown and mid-town revitalization and infill. It perterbs me that some old property owners just sit on their property waiting for the next oil boom or whatever in the hopes that they will make some money on it often while the property falls further into ruin. It used to be that downtown may have been "the" place to build the next office tower, mixed use development, ballpark, or urban center. But I just want those old timers to know that times have changed. They could very well sit on those properties till they die. The reality is that office towers can easily go in south Tulsa. Thats not a bias, thats a fact. A ballpark can go by the river or in Jenks. Jenks wasnt a player 15 years ago. Times have changed. While some developers are holding on to their properties expecting some big east end urban development to go in downtown thinking they can get high prices...I hope they got a bit of a wake up call when Jenks landed the River District. Those types of things do not have to go downtown anymore. Those old property owners imo need to face reality. They are actually hindering growth from growing and evolving downtown. I do not like that one bit. I was stating that people can more easily and more profitably build out south in the hopes that they will realize that and perhaps loosen their greedy little paws a bit and more easily allow growth to happen in and around downtown. Otherwise we could stay in this stupid stalemate for another decade or more.

Also, as I have stated before, I do not begrudge or demean urban growth or people who want to live an urban lifestyle. Urban and suburban growth can be done either well or poorly. I personally would rather die than live in some suburb lol. But thats my personal choice. I hope that suburbanites will not begrudge or demean urban growth or people who want to live an urban lifestyle. Different strokes for different folks. I think Tulsa is lacking in urban lifestyle options and that it would greatly benefit Tulsa to have good urban lifestyle and living options.  We are running out of room as a city for suburban growth so it must naturally begin to be that if we want people to move to our city it must begin to offer good urban lifestyle choices and begin to more adequately compete with other cities on that front.

I am not against suburban dwellers and how they want to live, and I do not think its right for them to be against me and what I want. I do believe that we can all work together to make Tulsa have a full range of good, quality, options, both good suburban options and good urban options as well.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 01:37:08 pm »

Anyone know if Kay Rahal still owns properties along 6th St?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 04:38:00 pm »

quote:

Hazy Club Nitro daze, K? Crazy George Usdin is ringing in my ears.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
Rico
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 05:56:35 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

That he does....  I haven't seen him in a while though... Maybe we are on different flight paths at the time.
Rico
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 06:00:07 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

quote:

Strange you mention the "Nitro"... went to a Wedding there once..... I think it was White.

Hazy Club Nitro daze, K? Crazy George Usdin is ringing in my ears.

Strange you mention the "Nitro"... went to a Wedding there once..... I think it was White.

Rico
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 06:04:34 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

That is a good point that a person can feel more confident that when they build something in the area, once the form based codes are in, they will not get a neighbor who will do something that will not compliment them. You will be more assured that something decent will go in next to you, have proper set backs, parking behind, etc.

I have always been a firm advocate of downtown and mid-town revitalization and infill. It perterbs me that some old property owners just sit on their property waiting for the next oil boom or whatever in the hopes that they will make some money on it often while the property falls further into ruin. It used to be that downtown may have been "the" place to build the next office tower, mixed use development, ballpark, or urban center. But I just want those old timers to know that times have changed. They could very well sit on those properties till they die. The reality is that office towers can easily go in south Tulsa. Thats not a bias, thats a fact. A ballpark can go by the river or in Jenks. Jenks wasnt a player 15 years ago. Times have changed. While some developers are holding on to their properties expecting some big east end urban development to go in downtown thinking they can get high prices...I hope they got a bit of a wake up call when Jenks landed the River District. Those types of things do not have to go downtown anymore. Those old property owners imo need to face reality. They are actually hindering growth from growing and evolving downtown. I do not like that one bit. I was stating that people can more easily and more profitably build out south in the hopes that they will realize that and perhaps loosen their greedy little paws a bit and more easily allow growth to happen in and around downtown. Otherwise we could stay in this stupid stalemate for another decade or more.

Also, as I have stated before, I do not begrudge or demean urban growth or people who want to live an urban lifestyle. Urban and suburban growth can be done either well or poorly. I personally would rather die than live in some suburb lol. But thats my personal choice. I hope that suburbanites will not begrudge or demean urban growth or people who want to live an urban lifestyle. Different strokes for different folks. I think Tulsa is lacking in urban lifestyle options and that it would greatly benefit Tulsa to have good urban lifestyle and living options.  We are running out of room as a city for suburban growth so it must naturally begin to be that if we want people to move to our city it must begin to offer good urban lifestyle choices and begin to more adequately compete with other cities on that front.

I am not against suburban dwellers and how they want to live, and I do not think its right for them to be against me and what I want. I do believe that we can all work together to make Tulsa have a full range of good, quality, options, both good suburban options and good urban options as well.

There, there... Artist.. It was a simple spelling error..

I meant "Bourbon-ite"..[8D]
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 06:08:52 pm »

quote:

quote:

That he does....  I haven't seen him in a while though... Maybe we are on different flight paths at the time.

Seemed like if we showed up after 10pm, Kay would be plowed.  He'd start fumbling w/ the door money if I was with a large group, and would finally manage to get out: "Hell, just go on in and make sure you buy plenty of beer..."

Great memories aside, I think this sounds like good news for the area.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Rico
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 06:55:23 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

Seemed like if we showed up after 10pm, Kay would be plowed.  He'd start fumbling w/ the door money if I was with a large group, and would finally manage to get out: "Hell, just go on in and make sure you buy plenty of beer..."

Great memories aside, I think this sounds like good news for the area.

Also.. Sounds like something larger than a 50 caliber round to be used against Seay and Company... if needed.
booWorld
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 02:39:34 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by pmcalk

For those who didn't hear, last week at the TMAPC meeting it was announced that the mayor has officially requested that INCOG begin a trial program for formed based codes in the Pearl District.  Next step will be to hire a consultant to draft the ordinances, and begin the process.  It will still take some time before it actually happens, but the ball is rolling.  It will be interesting to see the effects.

Any updates on this process?  Also, exactly where will the trial program be allowed?  Have the geographic boundaries been established?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org