A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 02:54:58 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sinclair sold to Holly?  (Read 8944 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« on: October 20, 2009, 06:47:43 am »

Holly bought the Sunoco refinery last year.

I heard a rumor that they bought the Sinclair refinery today. Anyone know anything?  

Power is nothing till you use it.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 07:01:23 am »

I had not heard that they had sold, but heard a sale was on the horizon.

Having both refineries run by a company who (at least seems) interested in following through on modernizing and cleaning them up, is great. Sinclair obviously isn't doing it anytime soon.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 07:46:48 am »

I had not heard that they had sold, but heard a sale was on the horizon.

Having both refineries run by a company who (at least seems) interested in following through on modernizing and cleaning them up, is great. Sinclair obviously isn't doing it anytime soon.

Have you driven by Sinclair lately?  Take a spin down SW Blvd. at lunch and see what they've done just in the last year.  There's been projects on-going there for at least three years I'm aware of.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 08:26:20 am »

It's official:
http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS130443+20-Oct-2009+PRN20091020

And as far as projects go, they announced themselves they put off the bulk of the work.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 08:37:19 am »

It's official:
http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS130443+20-Oct-2009+PRN20091020

And as far as projects go, they announced themselves they put off the bulk of the work.

Yes, their next projects have been deferred, still doesn't negate the fact there have been cranes in the air for at least three years, they have re-made a stretch of the the east side of SWB into something quite a bit more appealing than it was two years ago, and that smaller projects continue on-site.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 09:53:04 am »

Am I just used to this sort of thing ending badly and I have an unreasonable sense of foreboding?

The first thing I thought of is someone's over-extending themselves into Tulsa again and Tulsa will bear the pain from it.

Am I way off?  I'd like to think I am.  My knowledge of Holly's business is limited.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 10:09:21 am »

Am I just used to this sort of thing ending badly and I have an unreasonable sense of foreboding?

The first thing I thought of is someone's over-extending themselves into Tulsa again and Tulsa will bear the pain from it.

Am I way off?  I'd like to think I am.  My knowledge of Holly's business is limited.

Well, if they start buying up asphalt terminals, sponsoring golf tournaments, events at the PAC, and move into offices at 61st & Yale, there might be a familiar pattern at work.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 11:11:30 am »

Well, if they start buying up asphalt terminals, sponsoring golf tournaments, events at the PAC, and move into offices at 61st & Yale, there might be a familiar pattern at work.

You forgot the ballet
FOTD
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 03:12:55 pm »

Related reasoning to this : http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/102109dnbushollysinclair.12b8c0c.html

Tulsa World purposely hold this story or just falling behind?

StinkAir saw this coming! Obama's EPA cracks down, orders more tests for BP refinery
In last months of Bush's administration, agency approved project to upgrade and expand northwest Indiana BP site, one of the largest polluters in the Chicago area

http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/chi-bp-pollution-20-oct20,0,930177.story

Global Moderator
Civic Leader

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 09:48:21 am »

Originally posted by RecycleMichael:

The plans are to build a pipeline connecting the two plants. That would allow them to operate as one large refinery.

I am pretty familiar with refinery operations because of serving on Sunoco's citizen advisory panel for over a decade. There are clear challenges meeting more and more stringent environmental regulations.

This seems to make a lot of sense. This would allow combining management and other issues like permitting. I imagine there could be some real cost savings to Holly.

Post was moved from a related thread to consolidate.

dbacks fan
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 09:53:39 am »

Related reasoning to this : http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/102109dnbushollysinclair.12b8c0c.html

Tulsa World purposely hold this story or just falling behind?

StinkAir saw this coming! Obama's EPA cracks down, orders more tests for BP refinery
In last months of Bush's administration, agency approved project to upgrade and expand northwest Indiana BP site, one of the largest polluters in the Chicago area

http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/chi-bp-pollution-20-oct20,0,930177.story

Of course Dallas will report first, Holly is based there.

And to compare Holly and Oklahoma to BP in Indiana is apples and oranges. BP had been notified of violations over several years for it's refinery in Indiana.

Holly wants to connect the two together to make it more efficient to meet the requirements for low sulfur diesel. It saves them money in their original upgrades that can be better utilized for other improvements.

Also, converting to run on CNG or propane will not eliminate the need for petroleum, you still have to lubricate the engine since it is still an internal combustion engine.
FOTD
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 10:36:42 am »

The new name of the WNBA team is the Tulsa Toxins....just heard on KRBS!
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 10:44:49 am »

From an intimidation point of view, that wouldn't be a bad name.

Not sure of the mascot though.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 10:46:14 am »

KRBS 107.1 FM  Oroville, CA

Must be big stuff to get on California radio.  Do you listen on-line?

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 12:49:59 pm »

From an intimidation point of view, that wouldn't be a bad name.

Not sure of the mascot though.

Ms. Slime

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org