A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 08:23:56 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Santorum: McCain doesn't understand interrogation  (Read 7996 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 01:26:21 pm »

Huckabee out?  Were there bones rattling in his closet?  Affair, toe-tapping in the airport, diddling underage boys?

I just caught it on TV.  I don't remember the exact words but it was not apparently related to skeletons, etc.

Edit:
Found this

http://www.mikehuckabee.com/mike-huckabee-news?ContentRecord_id=9a989cf6-fe6d-42fb-9825-d8095c2d15c2

« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 01:31:53 pm by Red Arrow » Logged

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 01:34:49 pm »

The near certainty of any Democrat (or at least not a Republican) should have you guys jumping in the aisles for joy.

I want my guy to win, sure, but I really do believe in the marketplace of ideas.  If the GOP has a strong field, my guy is forced to play smarter, be sharper, is perhaps even held to a higher standard.  If Obama's a shoe-in, he doesn't need to be quite as loyal to his base and even though I don't see him as quite the traitor to the cause that some other libs do, I still think he's veered right a couple of times too many.  If he still needs my vote, then (at least according to theory) he'll try to court it by not veering as much.

This cycle, though, I'm glad the GOP is self-destructing because more than usual I think the ideas clanging around in some of those heads aren't just bad for the country, but they're crazybad.  Like, drive-us-off-a-cliff bad (cf.  debt ceiling debate).  It hasn't always been that bad with the GOP, but it sure is now.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 01:35:53 pm »

I just caught it on TV.  I don't remember the exact words but it was not apparently related to skeletons, etc.

Edit:
Found this

http://www.mikehuckabee.com/mike-huckabee-news?ContentRecord_id=9a989cf6-fe6d-42fb-9825-d8095c2d15c2

No skeletons in evidence.  I'm betting he either couldn't make the poll numbers or the dollar signs line up to his satisfaction.  Possibly both.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 01:40:10 pm »

I want my guy to win, sure, but I really do believe in the marketplace of ideas.  If the GOP has a strong field, my guy is forced to play smarter, be sharper, is perhaps even held to a higher standard.  If Obama's a shoe-in, he doesn't need to be quite as loyal to his base and even though I don't see him as quite the traitor to the cause that some other libs do, I still think he's veered right a couple of times too many.  If he still needs my vote, then (at least according to theory) he'll try to court it by not veering as much.

This cycle, though, I'm glad the GOP is self-destructing because more than usual I think the ideas clanging around in some of those heads aren't just bad for the country, but they're crazybad.  Like, drive-us-off-a-cliff bad (cf.  debt ceiling debate).  It hasn't always been that bad with the GOP, but it sure is now.

Typical left vs. right stuff.  Competition makes my guy better.  Goes both ways, of course.  See another thread regarding the debt ceiling.  I forget which one at the moment.  Nice video of Harry Reid in 2006 saying not to raise the debt.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 01:43:56 pm »

No skeletons in evidence.  I'm betting he either couldn't make the poll numbers or the dollar signs line up to his satisfaction.  Possibly both.

Reading his account, sounds like fund-raising and approval wouldn't have been much an issue.  However, a fundamentalist like him would have gotten slaughtered in open primary states.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 01:44:18 pm »

From what he has on his website, I'd say he just decided he didn't really want the job.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 01:48:38 pm »

From what he has on his website, I'd say he just decided he didn't really want the job.

Can't blame him.  I wonder how many times President Obama has thought of calling McCain in the middle of the night and said: "Uh, how bad did you really want this job, John? It's yours!"

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 02:58:57 pm »

Typical left vs. right stuff.  Competition makes my guy better.  Goes both ways, of course.  See another thread regarding the debt ceiling.  I forget which one at the moment.  Nice video of Harry Reid in 2006 saying not to raise the debt.

Well, look, you asked so I told you.  I think the GOP isn't thinking clearly, and that the Tea Party is dangerous, especially if they get their way.  They really want to destroy a lot of the modern parts of our state that I personally value -- and in some cases, am relying on in the future.  I genuinely would like a considered opposition in the GOP, but I don't think we have that right now.   

I can't speak to the debt argument in 2006.  I don't know the context, and wasn't paying attention to it back then.  If the circumstances were much like they are now, then Reid and Obama were both wrong, as is the GOP now.  Flirting with a debt panic in order to advance an ideological agenda is really bad policy. 
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 03:22:17 pm »

Well, look, you asked so I told you. 

Correct.  Also about what I expected.  I am not condemning your answer.

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 05:38:21 pm »

2006? Ah yes, before the sh!t hit the financial fan. I think the world economy is far more precarious today.
In 2006 we were only 4 years into the Bush doctrine.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2011, 05:52:27 pm »

The near certainty of any Democrat (or at least not a Republican) should have you guys jumping in the aisles for joy.

I just don't believe ANYTHING is a certainty, although with the political climate on the right these days the mass destruction of the moderate wing of the Republican base will make those on the extreme right not very palatable to the moderates and/or indies.  Which usually results in those people not even voting, as opposed to voting for the other party.

I'm never averse to voting for a Republican if he/she aligns more closely to my belief system/fiscal views than the opponent on the other side of the aisle.  Problem is alot of these loonies in the TP have these beliefs based in hard-line religion.  Religion should NOT play into politics, although I know it does..I'm not naive.

I'm not for one party.  I'm for the person/people that most align with what I believe our path should be for this city/state/country.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2011, 06:06:39 pm »

2006? Ah yes, before the sh!t hit the financial fan. I think the world economy is far more precarious today.
In 2006 we were only 4 years into the Bush doctrine.

Weren't there problems with the economy immediately after Bush took office in Jan 2001?

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2011, 08:05:45 pm »

Red,
Remember how the stock market took a big juicy dump about 3 weeks after Bush was nominated.  They knew then what a mess was coming.

McCain and Santorum absolutely personify and highlight exactly the point that I have been trying to make concerning the hijacking of the Republican party.  McCain IS a Republican.  Santorum is.... well, santorum!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2011, 08:23:15 pm »

Red,
Remember how the stock market took a big juicy dump about 3 weeks after Bush was nominated.  They knew then what a mess was coming.

Actually what I remember is the machine tool manufacturing sector was on its way down many months before Bush was nominated.  Guess which sector of manufacturing I was working in at the time.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2011, 10:19:06 pm »

Actually what I remember is the machine tool manufacturing sector was on its way down many months before Bush was nominated.  Guess which sector of manufacturing I was working in at the time.
That was likely largely due to the FRB's increasing the target rate up over 6% in early 2000, which pushed commercial paper and corporate bonds up over 7%, a level not seen since except during the recent liquidity crisis.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org