A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 06:01:37 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: License Tags - Public Record?  (Read 3156 times)
Aa5drvr
« on: January 18, 2009, 08:06:14 pm »

There is a a suspicious vehicle in our neighborhood on occasion.  Is there method whereby an individual citizen can determine who it is registered to?

The FAA maintains a public database for aircraft online.  Didnt know if something similar is avail for OK license tags.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 08:06:46 pm by Aa5drvr » Logged
waterboy
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 08:31:57 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Aa5drvr

There is a a suspicious vehicle in our neighborhood on occasion.  Is there method whereby an individual citizen can determine who it is registered to?

The FAA maintains a public database for aircraft online.  Didnt know if something similar is avail for OK license tags.

Not any more. Police can check the database but not civilians. Seems stalkers, murderers, etc were using the database to commit mayhem. Your privacy is more important than your suspicions of strangers.
tulsa1603
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 09:05:22 pm »

Hmmm....  I have a friend who hired a private investigator to figure out who owned a car based on a tag number.  Charged her $20 I believe.  Not sure how he did it.

waterboy
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 09:57:13 pm »

There may be legal methods available for a licensed P.I. or he may have friends in the department. Civilians have no such access.

I once tried to write a book listing personalized license plates with the story behind each one. Turns out stalkers were tracking down young women with personalized plates around the country. So were enraged spouses. There were some nasty lawsuits over privacy rights.

A P.I. is a good idea though.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 08:14:55 am »

I'd just call the DOT or a TAG agency and ask.   They may just say no, or they may say "we can't look that up for you but..."  May as well ask.  (my guess is the answer is no)

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Wilbur
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 09:42:38 am »

That is not open record information, but there have been tag agents known to release that info (which is against the law, by the way).

Your insurance company can get that info IF you file a claim, but only if you file a claim.

Police are not allowed to release that info.

Turning that info over to police and allowing them to look into your concerns is always a great idea.  You may help solve a crime problem in your area!
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 10:41:42 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Aa5drvr

There is a a suspicious vehicle in our neighborhood on occasion.

Define suspicious.

Does it look like this?
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 12:56:53 pm »

Just turn it over to the cops- There are web sites that will tell you who a license is registerd to but they are all pay sites. Giving that info to a cop won't cost ya anything.[Smiley]

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
tnt091605
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 10:48:23 pm »

If this person is suspicious why would you just not call the police why they are there?
mrducks
Citizen

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 09:47:11 am »

Did it ever occur to anyone that the "suspicious" vehicle might be a private investigator or an undercover officer? Unless there's some actual "suspicious" ACTIVITY, perhaps you should mind your own business, Gladys Kravitz.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 09:55:36 am »

quote:
Originally posted by mrducks

Did it ever occur to anyone that the "suspicious" vehicle might be a private investigator or an undercover officer? Unless there's some actual "suspicious" ACTIVITY, perhaps you should mind your own business, Gladys Kravitz.

The "mind your own business" line of reasoning is entirely contrary to what the police advise you to do, neighborhood associations or a rational person would do.  In my neighborhood, a strange vehicle or strange person IS MY BUSINESS.  I'm not saying they are guilty of a crime, but certainly keep an eye out for your sake and your neighbors.

Mind your own business.  Great community attitude.  Possible crime?  Mind your own business.  

If it is a cop or a PI then nothing will come of it.  If it is a citizen that is just strange nothing will come of it.  If it is a new car, visitor, family member or otherwise someone who belongs there no big deal.  But by at least paying attention to what happens around you and your neighbors homes you are minding you business.  My home is certainly my business.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
mrducks
Citizen

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 10:21:44 am »

I'm all for paying attention to activity in your neighborhood, but the ORIGINAL post was about finding out who it belonged to. From the ORIGINAL post it appears that this is not the first time this vehicle has been in the neighborhood. A RATIONAL person would have called the police the first time or two, which may or may not have happened. I can only assume that if a person is that involved in their COMMUNITY, they would have no problem in asking their NEIGHBORS who the suspicious vehicle belonged to. I am evidently missing the purpose of finding out the vehicle's registration information, which may or may not be current. What purpose would that serve? If you don't know your neighbors well enough to ask them about a car, I would think that the registration information would not be of any assistance either. Still sounds like they are just being nosy.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 10:24:25 am »

quote:
Originally posted by mrducks

I'm all for paying attention to activity in your neighborhood, but the ORIGINAL post was about finding out who it belonged to. From the ORIGINAL post it appears that this is not the first time this vehicle has been in the neighborhood. A RATIONAL person would have called the police the first time or two, which may or may not have happened. I can only assume that if a person is that involved in their COMMUNITY, they would have no problem in asking their NEIGHBORS who the suspicious vehicle belonged to.

Looks like someone's having a hard time controlling the volume of their voice
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org