A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 03:59:48 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ODOT proposes retrofitting Creek Turnpike and Memorial Dr to DDI  (Read 7730 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« on: July 10, 2021, 09:51:52 am »

This would be the first interchange of its kind (Diverging Diamond Interchange) in Tulsa and only the second in the state (I think OKC has one on deck too but the only one currently in operation seems to be in Elk City).

Pertinent info:  https://us64us169.transportationplanroom.com/

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 10:13:43 am »

Sounds great, but also seems like it will freak out some south Tulsa drivers.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 10:32:18 am »

Sounds great, but also seems like it will freak out some south Tulsa drivers.

It freaked me out driving the one in Springfield several years ago, but it actually makes sense once you drive on it.  But with my experience with Tulsa drivers yesterday, it doesn't give me much hope...

this is a little better map with the current configuration using an overlay.

https://garver.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=6eb36e437292482fbe744aac1a481dd2

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 11:08:40 am »

ADOT built a Diverging Diamond Interchange that opened last year. Made a huge difference in the traffic flow from the old roundabouts that were there. The roundabouts were built 20 years ago but were quickly overloaded in just a few years.

https://azdot.gov/projects/central-district-projects/i-17-ti-reconstruction-happy-valley-rd-and-pinnacle-peak-rd/happy-valley-rd
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 11:10:34 am by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 11:39:49 am »

If it works the state needs to build one at 71st and 169, the traffic at that interchange is even worse.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2021, 12:42:22 pm »

If it works the state needs to build one at 71st and 169, the traffic at that interchange is even worse.

I was a little surprised this wouldn't be the first one.  But the Creek/Memorial interchange is bad enough.

AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2021, 03:18:40 pm »

I was a little surprised this wouldn't be the first one.  But the Creek/Memorial interchange is bad enough.

I believe this is the type of interchange they have in Norman at I-35 and Main, and maybe Lindsey too.
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2021, 05:35:14 pm »

I believe this is the type of interchange they have in Norman at I-35 and Main, and maybe Lindsey too.

Those are different. Here is the one at Lindsey & I-35

https://goo.gl/maps/o1dmCkxU9TGoqt1p6

I-17 through Phoenix has a lot of those types of interchanges because they can fit it smaller areas.

I-17 & Northern

https://goo.gl/maps/1wHZuo7AJvhfWkAfA
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2021, 06:28:22 pm »

Those are different. Here is the one at Lindsey & I-35

https://goo.gl/maps/o1dmCkxU9TGoqt1p6

I-17 through Phoenix has a lot of those types of interchanges because they can fit it smaller areas.

I-17 & Northern

https://goo.gl/maps/1wHZuo7AJvhfWkAfA

It's not Lindsey in Norman, it's Main, but it's different again, and does all the traffic with a single light.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/I-35+Industrial+Park/@35.2184084,-97.4859664,194m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x78be9b62099c9a20!8m2!3d35.217315!4d-97.4955902

There's no room on Memorial to do anything like Main in Norman.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 06:30:29 pm by swake » Logged
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2021, 08:22:36 pm »

There's no room on Memorial to do anything like Main in Norman.

Memorial from (at least) 121st to 91 is always a mess.  I am beginning to think that no one in Bixby has a job due to traffic most of the day.  They are just out driving around.

I know the urbanistas like congestion and deplore alternate routes but Memorial is a mess.  There is only one way from downtown Bixby north, Memorial/US 64.  "Alternates" are Peoria/Elm though Jenks or OK 72 through Coweta.  That was sorta OK 50 years ago but not so much now.

Before I retired, traffic on Memorial from 111th to the Creek was OK, at 6AM. By 6:30 it was getting busy.

Bixby is trying to maximize its tax collections by allowing apartment complexes and other high density development per the urbanista mantra but not paying attention to simple things like getting around.  There are windows of opportunity to get through Memorial.  They are somewhere around 10:30 AM, 3 PM and from about 10 PM to 6 AM.   Sad

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2021, 08:28:12 pm »

Memorial from (at least) 121st to 91 is always a mess.  I am beginning to think that no one in Bixby has a job due to traffic most of the day.  They are just out driving around.

I know the urbanistas like congestion and deplore alternate routes but Memorial is a mess.  There is only one way from downtown Bixby north, Memorial/US 64.  "Alternates" are Peoria/Elm though Jenks or OK 72 through Coweta.  That was sorta OK 50 years ago but not so much now.

Before I retired, traffic on Memorial from 111th to the Creek was OK, at 6AM. By 6:30 it was getting busy.

Bixby is trying to maximize its tax collections by allowing apartment complexes and other high density development per the urbanista mantra but not paying attention to simple things like getting around.  There are windows of opportunity to get through Memorial.  They are somewhere around 10:30 AM, 3 PM and from about 10 PM to 6 AM.   Sad

The Gilcrease turnpike under construction never made sense to me, it should have been built a mile or two west of Memorial from the Creek down to at least 151st.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2021, 09:29:30 pm »

The Gilcrease turnpike under construction never made sense to me, it should have been built a mile or two west of Memorial from the Creek down to at least 151st.

Two miles west of Memorial is Yale.  The right of way for Yale is wide enough for 4 lanes but the rich folks there don't want a bridge over the river.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2021, 09:45:15 pm »

Two miles west of Memorial is Yale.  The right of way for Yale is wide enough for 4 lanes but the rich folks there don't want a bridge over the river.

Sorry, I meant east.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2021, 10:18:20 pm »

Sorry, I meant east.

Oh, the other west. I've done that before.

Two miles east would be Garnett.  That would probably have nothing to do with the Gilcrease but may have been a part of the Creek at one time.

TulsaBeMore
Activist

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2021, 12:08:01 am »

ADOT built a Diverging Diamond Interchange that opened last year. Made a huge difference in the traffic flow from the old roundabouts that were there. The roundabouts were built 20 years ago but were quickly overloaded in just a few years.

https://azdot.gov/projects/central-district-projects/i-17-ti-reconstruction-happy-valley-rd-and-pinnacle-peak-rd/happy-valley-rd

Very cool.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org