A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 01:21:47 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Macy's to Open Distribution Center - 1,500 jobs  (Read 83257 times)
rebound
City Father

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 09:50:35 am »

Seriously? NIMBY stuff?

I don't know who could be upset about the location. The area is already an industrial park, and it's right next to 75.  It will add some congestion to the 76th street N and HWY 75 intersection, but overall it's a great place to put a DC.

Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 09:50:50 am »

I'm guessing this going in across the street (north side of 76th) of Whirlpool?

There are some newer homes on the NW side of that parcel of land and I can understand those homeowners being upset they weren't informed of this but at the same time that areas is industrial and marked build to suite IIRC so...

Is it not the realtors responsibility to inform potential buyers of things like this?
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 09:56:00 am »

I don't know who could be upset about the location. The area is already an industrial park, and it's right next to 75.  It will add some congestion to the 76th street N and HWY 75 intersection, but overall it's a great place to put a DC.

76th street will have to be redone. At minimum the outside lanes in both directions. They are literally sinking and disintegrating and patching can't keep up.
The drainage pipes under the road in some spots appear to have caved in as well.

I don't know who the contractor on that 4 lane project was but they managed to do a worse job than whoever did the Creek Turnpike bridge over the SE wetlands.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 09:56:55 am »

There are some newer homes on the NW side of that parcel of land and I can understand those homeowners being upset they weren't informed of this but at the same time that areas is industrial and marked build to suite IIRC so...

Is it not the realtors responsibility to inform potential buyers of things like this?

Probably no more than a realtor's responsibility to inform a home buyer of an existing nearby airport and the noise it may generate.  Similar situation to the dirt track car racing at the fairgrounds in the 70s.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 09:57:57 am »

I don't know who the contractor on that 4 lane project was but they managed to do a worse job than whoever did the Creek Turnpike bridge over the SE wetlands.

You have something against roller coasters?
 Grin

Actually, that road surface is in lieu of speed limit enforcement expenses.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 10:00:23 am by Red Arrow » Logged

rebound
City Father

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 09:58:16 am »

76th street will have to be redone. At minimum the outside lanes in both directions. They are literally sinking and disintegrating and patching can't keep up.
The drainage pipes under the road in some spots appear to have caved in as well.

Yep.  That area near the industrial park has not stood up to traffic at all.  And there are spots all the way into Owasso that need repair.  

sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 11:41:50 am »

This is great, this is fantastic- Thank you Mary Fallin! Yep Mary Fallin beat out the other states and brought Macys to Oklahoma. I don't think Macys would come to Oklahoma if we had a Democrat gov who who tax them and regulate them to death. Last year Mary Fallin brought 500 jobs to Tulsa. This news is outstanding we are talking about 1,000 good paying $15.00 an hour jobs at a huge distribution center. Good Job Governor! Smiley

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 11:45:40 am »

Yep.  That area near the industrial park has not stood up to traffic at all.  And there are spots all the way into Owasso that need repair.  

They may have to widen the road as they build the new distribution center and WoW that new building will be huge and  state of the art. I worked at the Big Lots distribution center in Columbus, Ohio back in 1992 and I thought that place was huge but we only had 400 employees and it was not not large as this Macys center will be. What a boom for Tulsa and Oklahoma!

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
rebound
City Father

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2013, 11:50:41 am »

Just saw the article in the paper, and by the picture it looks like it is going in East of Whirlpool, South of 76Th st.  There are a few houses that front 76th on the North side opposite the site, but given that there is already industry in the area I can't see how this would be a big surprise.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2013, 11:51:02 am »

Residents near there are complaining they weren’t told about it first.

That's probably closer to it.  The developer apparently treated neighbors like they weren't even there, which they see as a warning flag.

Probably no more than a realtor's responsibility to inform a home buyer of an existing nearby airport and the noise it may generate.  Similar situation to the dirt track car racing at the fairgrounds in the 70s.

If the airport or racing track havent been built yet, or even rumored, that would be a better analogy.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 11:54:34 am by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 12:09:08 pm »

If the airport or racing track havent been built yet, or even rumored, that would be a better analogy.

Better analogy:  The runways were there, but the terminal hadn't been built yet.    Racetrack was there, but the grandstands hadn't been built yet.

the industrial park has been there with industry pending.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2013, 12:23:31 pm »

Probably but see BKDotCom's even better analogy.
My point was that realtors don't seem to be obligated to tell prospective buyers of even existing situations much less ones that are zoned but just not developed yet.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2013, 12:40:41 pm »

This is great, this is fantastic- Thank you Mary Fallin! Yep Mary Fallin beat out the other states and brought Macys to Oklahoma. I don't think Macys would come to Oklahoma if we had a Democrat gov who who tax them and regulate them to death. Last year Mary Fallin brought 500 jobs to Tulsa. This news is outstanding we are talking about 1,000 good paying $15.00 an hour jobs at a huge distribution center. Good Job Governor! Smiley

What an idiotic post. Zarrow's son had a lot more to do with it than Failin' did (read the morning newspaper...free at the librarium). Since he passed away, she hustled over to get the photo ops in an election year.  Making potential users aware of land opportunities others put together is not genious work. Democrats do it. Republicans do it. Commercial real estate people do it. Libertarians talk about doing it.

onward...through the fog
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2013, 12:48:52 pm »

Probably but see BKDotCom's even better analogy.
My point was that realtors don't seem to be obligated to tell prospective buyers of even existing situations much less ones that are zoned but just not developed yet.

They did have that obligation when I sold real estate for a Realtor broker. I couldn't say for commercial real estate people but if you had the information or were privy to it before the public, you could be held liable for not sharing that with a buyer or seller. For instance if the land nearby had recently been zoned for coal mining but the signs were not obvious, yes, you better inform them even if it had been in the newspaper. Prospective buyers (not offering a contract) I don't know. As a professional there was a reasonable expectation that we would not mislead, withhold or deceive buyers and sellers. Otherwise there is no real reason for the Real Estate licensing.

onward...through the fog
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2013, 12:55:47 pm »

This news is outstanding we are talking about 1,000 good paying $15.00 an hour jobs at a huge distribution center.

Well, it's a lot better than minimum wage.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org