A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:31:37 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New I-244 Bridge  (Read 188222 times)
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 05:38:31 pm »

Most definitely, and I think it would include such a clean-up.  The part that intrigues me is that the rail line would be placed under the road on the bridge, does that mean the existing rail bridge would be demolished as well?  That would be much better having the 11th/SW Blvd. bridge, Avery 'pedestrian' bridge, and then just one large bridge for I-244 and the rail line.  Hopefully they add some style to it.  It doesn't have to be a cable-stayed suspension bridge but maybe an arch or at least some interesting lighting could really make it standout as a landmark within Tulsa, much like the 23rd St. bridge.  Maybe something like the I-40 bridge over the Mississippi between Arkansas and Tennessee but smaller with one arch in the middle:

Something like this:

I would prefer a multi-span rainbow arch style bridge like this one, albeit on a much larger scale:

Since the roadway is close to the river, a bridge in a similar style would easily fit.

Anything would be preferable to the plain concrete steel stringer bridge that ODOT will undoubtedly build.  Some highway departments have pride in what they build, but ODOT would rather punt when they have a chance to score a touchdown.

Personally I'd like to see a through truss bridge, but I won't hold my breath.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 11:00:24 am »

Here's the issue:  large spans and added height cost money.  On the Arkansas river there is no navigation, the bank height is not a real issue and there is no valley to span.  Hence, they would be wasted elements for the most part.

I will want to see a cool bridge, but I doubt we spend the money to get something like the ones shown above because it isn't needed. Anyone have examples of lower bridges over non-navigable waterways that are cool?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 11:35:49 am »

Are we getting entirely new bridge spans or just decking?  They've stripped off a lot of decking around the IDL, but I've not seen any steel spans disappearing yet.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2009, 12:02:43 pm »

Are we getting entirely new bridge spans or just decking?  They've stripped off a lot of decking around the IDL, but I've not seen any steel spans disappearing yet.

Although off topic I'll reply. The IDL remodel is new bridge decks. They said the steel spans are fine for the most part but there may be some slective work to them.
tshane250
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 12:58:31 pm »

FWIW, as part of the I-40 relocation in OKC, there is going to be a pedestrian birdge built across the interstate.  I am not sure about it's funding, but ODOT mentions it on their website as part of the relocation, which also includes sound walls.  Granted, this is only a pedestrian brigde, but it shows that ODOT may be warming up to the idea of marrying form and function.  Here's a pic of the bridge. 
Ihearttacos
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 02:13:49 pm »

FWIW, as part of the I-40 relocation in OKC, there is going to be a pedestrian birdge built across the interstate.  I am not sure about it's funding, but ODOT mentions it on their website as part of the relocation, which also includes sound walls.  Granted, this is only a pedestrian brigde, but it shows that ODOT may be warming up to the idea of marrying form and function.  Here's a pic of the bridge. 
reminds me a bit of the Chords Bridge in Jerusalem by Calatrava. 
http://www.europe-re.com/files/processed/00093500/93509_Inauguration_CalatravaBridge_kl.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/76/Calatrava_Jerusalem.jpg

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 03:30:24 pm »

Here's the issue:  large spans and added height cost money.  On the Arkansas river there is no navigation, the bank height is not a real issue and there is no valley to span.  Hence, they would be wasted elements for the most part.

I will want to see a cool bridge, but I doubt we spend the money to get something like the ones shown above because it isn't needed. Anyone have examples of lower bridges over non-navigable waterways that are cool?

Dallas is getting a spectacular Calatrava-designed suspension bridge over its Trinity River which makes the Arkansas look like the Mississippi.  In Dallas' case they wanted something really nice to revitalize the riverfront and the TXDOT bridges wouldn't cut it, hence the hiring of Calatrava.  Another reason I'm glad an architect has been hired for this project..

http://www.trinityrivercorridor.com/html/trinity_bridges.html

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2009, 08:54:01 pm »

It's difficult to argue against a pretty bridge.  How much are you willing to pay?

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 03:42:14 pm »

While I'd prefer something spectacular, especially if Kaiser is funding the design, I would take something, anything other than your typical boring causeway-style bridge.  This scene outside Pittsburgh could almost be mistaken for the area west of Tulsa by Sand Springs sans pretty bridges and low water lock and dam:

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 03:41:44 pm »

Here is a website with the TIGER (Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery) grant info. and maps/studies related to the I-244 bridge which will replace both spans with a new double span bridge with the north span double-decked with two rail lines, one for future HSR and the other for LRT/commuter rail, below the highway.  There will also be a new pedestrian bridge incorporated to connect the west bank trail to the east bank trail north of the current bridge.  I'm not sure what the current progress is though, or if the project was even awarded the $95 million in TIGER funds.  It appears the existing rail bridge, Avery bridge, and SW Blvd. bridge are all staying and the new bridge will go pretty much where the current bridge is located.

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/recovery/tiger/tulsa_i244/index.htm

I'm still hoping for an interesting design, or at least interesting lighting.  Here is an example of a double-deck bridge that includes a pedestrian/bike trail component, something like this would be great:

...or if we really want to get fancy, a cable-stayed bridge:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 04:10:41 pm by SXSW » Logged

dsjeffries
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 04:19:30 pm »

SXSW, you got me all excited for about three seconds, because I thought designs for the bridge had been released!

I really hope we get a beautiful, interesting bridge instead of, say, every other strictly utilitarian bridge in Tulsa. Throwback, modern, art deco, whatever, just make it interesting!
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2010, 05:17:51 pm »

Here is a website with the TIGER (Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery) grant info. and maps/studies related to the I-244 bridge which will replace both spans with a new double span bridge with the north span double-decked with two rail lines, one for future HSR and the other for LRT/commuter rail, below the highway.  There will also be a new pedestrian bridge incorporated to connect the west bank trail to the east bank trail north of the current bridge.  I'm not sure what the current progress is though, or if the project was even awarded the $95 million in TIGER funds.  It appears the existing rail bridge, Avery bridge, and SW Blvd. bridge are all staying and the new bridge will go pretty much where the current bridge is located.

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/recovery/tiger/tulsa_i244/index.htm

I'm still hoping for an interesting design, or at least interesting lighting.  Here is an example of a double-deck bridge that includes a pedestrian/bike trail component, something like this would be great:

Only problem is this is a deck truss bridge, and deck truss bridges are out of style since the Minneapolis I-35W bridge collapse.  I doubt we'll see any new deck trusses built ever again.
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 05:55:24 pm »

A sad thing about the current I-244 bridges is the fact that they were built in 1967 and they're already falling apart.  They built the bridge as cheaply as they possibly could and we're paying the price today.
tulsamatt
Activist

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2010, 11:44:23 pm »

Funding for this round of TIGER Grants should be announced this month...

"DOT 112-09
Monday, July 30, 2009
Tel.: (202) 366-4570
Email: Sasha.Johnson@dot.gov

U.S. Transportation Secretary LaHood to Announce TIGER Discretionary Grant Awards Early in Effort to Accelerate Recovery Spending

Washington, D.C. – U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood today said he will accelerate stimulus spending and announce $1.5 billion in TIGER Discretionary Grants as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act one month early. The TIGER (Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery) Discretionary Grant program will award Recovery funds on a competitive basis to projects that have a significant impact on the nation, a region or metropolitan area and can create jobs and benefit economically distressed areas.

“Our top priority with the Recovery Act is to get money out the door quickly in order to put people to work and get the economy back on track,” said Secretary LaHood.

As part of the ongoing effort to accelerate spending, Secretary LaHood created a review team to expedite the application process for the $1.5 billion TIGER Discretionary Grant program. That will enable the Department to announce the grants in January 2010 – one full month ahead of the statutory deadline. "

via... http://www.dot.gov/affairs/2009/dot11209.htm

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2010, 09:33:04 am »

The aesthetic design work hasn't been done because no-one knows if it will happen or not, so if it does get approved, don't expect pictures anytime soon.

I believe the rail component is supposed to be two lines and parallel and slightly lower than the auto component.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org