A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 03:00:56 pm
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 120   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Protect Yourself From Obamacare  (Read 503405 times)
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #1305 on: November 07, 2013, 01:08:07 pm »

I’m glad to see you are still a master of condescension, Aqua!!

Its a gift.

onward...through the fog
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1306 on: November 07, 2013, 04:26:46 pm »

Its a gift.

Grin

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1307 on: November 07, 2013, 07:10:44 pm »

No, Guido. I was referring to Gas and his anti-govt views. But thanks for the visual. I'm sure it applies to me on other topics as well!

Hoss doesn't mind me sharing his Christmas picture with others.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1308 on: November 07, 2013, 07:14:33 pm »

Thats the thing.  You don't have to think like that. I'm sorry you can't see that not everybody has your means for it not to matter. If you don't have the money to pay for the service then your insurance and how you pay for it becomes a little bit of an issue.
I refuse to believe that the service I received, the compassion illustrated, and the effectiveness had anything to do with the means to pay. That level of presumptuousness and cynicism demeans hard work and professionalism.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #1309 on: November 07, 2013, 08:01:05 pm »

I refuse to believe that the service I received, the compassion illustrated, and the effectiveness had anything to do with the means to pay. That level of presumptuousness and cynicism demeans hard work and professionalism.
Who was your doc? I still keep up with all of those guys & gals.  They practice medicine. They don't care about the insurance or financial aspect.  They are rather $hurry business people.  Closer to artists or scientists than finance folks.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1310 on: November 07, 2013, 09:30:25 pm »

Who was your doc? I still keep up with all of those guys & gals.  They practice medicine. They don't care about the insurance or financial aspect.  They are rather $hurry business people.  Closer to artists or scientists than finance folks.

EOOC--Dr. Rahhal. Good man.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1311 on: November 07, 2013, 09:41:53 pm »

That can be horrific. For today, I saw up close and personal my 8 year old tough out a nasty looking injury, get it surgically repaired, and back home in hours. Hats off to St. Francis and Oklahoma Surgical Hospital.

I have to admit that the care my mom got for her 3 trips to the ER (at about $5,000 each) for excessive nose bleeds in the last 1-1/2 years was very good.  The first two happened when I was home and called I called 911.  EMSA was very good.  Care at Southcrest and the recommendation for further care was good, at additional expense to the insurance company.  The third trip, I was unavailable and two co-workers took personal time off, came to our home and took my mom to the Southcrest ER.  Again, the care was very good.  I would be lying if the cost of the care was not a serious thought after the bleeding stopped.  Between that and my father's fight with cancer, if not for insurance, my brother, sister and I would be my mom's total support.   We fall into the category of just enough assets to bankrupt us for care if not for insurance.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1312 on: November 07, 2013, 09:51:25 pm »

Have a granddaughter and new great grandbaby that have been to St. John's in Tulsa and BA several times over the last year.  Part of the time with insurance, part without.  Doctors, Nurses, and other people treated them well.  Wife and son of National Guard member who was deployed for a  year that overlapped the first half of that last year.  (There is a whole other story there about how military members - guard members - are sometimes received upon return...)

What happens later, without insurance shows why and how the whole system was broken and why there finally is at least a start toward insurance availability for everyone, even if it is still inadequate.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #1313 on: November 07, 2013, 10:41:13 pm »

Who is talking about doctors?
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1314 on: November 08, 2013, 12:04:00 am »

Who is talking about doctors?

You are. If not, then why make ability to pay for medical treatment (or for not caring about the cost) an issue in response to my praising the present health care system?

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #1315 on: November 08, 2013, 08:17:14 am »

You are. If not, then why make ability to pay for medical treatment (or for not caring about the cost) an issue in response to my praising the present health care system?

Because the present health care system costs too much and not everybody can afford it or insurance.  But lets just leave it there.  Everything is good for you now so that means its good for everybody else.  Don't change anything.  Got it
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1316 on: November 08, 2013, 09:13:16 am »

EOOC--Dr. Rahhal. Good man.

I will second that.  He’s done both my knees and one shoulder.  Great family as well, our kids went to school together and he was at my daughter’s wedding.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1317 on: November 08, 2013, 09:15:26 am »

Because the present health care system costs too much and not everybody can afford it or insurance.  But lets just leave it there.  Everything is good for you now so that means its good for everybody else.  Don't change anything.  Got it

And it doesn’t appear Obamacare is going to solve that problem.  For every person it makes it more affordable for, someone else gets shanked.  This is nothing more than a redistribution scheme which won’t lower net costs and doesn’t ensure that everyone gets coverage.  It really doesn’t look like it will do a damn thing that was promised.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #1318 on: November 08, 2013, 09:23:05 am »

Because the present health care system costs too much and not everybody can afford it or insurance.  But lets just leave it there.  Everything is good for you now so that means its good for everybody else.  Don't change anything.  Got it

We've been over this before but what the heck. . .

Is it smarter to treat the symptoms or the disease?

Symptoms: Healthcare costs rising.  Insurance companies eliminating or inflating individual costs far above comparable group policies. Fewer people insured as a result, and those who are insured must absorb the costs for those who are not.

Disease: Lack of competition as a result of government collusion and regulation.  Trust situations between states, large companies and insurance companies limiting employee choice.  Laws lobbied for by insurance companies that make it difficult, and in many cases impossible, for the operation of small independent clinics outside of insurance company control (networks).  Physicians forced to become employees of insurance company controlled clinics, and hospitals, instead of operating as independent contractors with the ability to offer diverse and competitive services.

Treatment for the symptoms: Placement of tight controls on insurance purchasing.  Standardization of plans to allow only price competition between established tiers. Centrally administered subsidy based on income level regardless of usage.

RESULT: The only impact this can have on price channel is a reduction in total number of uninsured.  Cost will continue to rise because demand will increase as supply decreases.  There is no sustainability here, however a continuous flow of power is delivered to policy makers and large insurers in the form of control.

Treatment for the disease: Introduce legislation allowing individuals in all states to purchase healthcare across state lines and allow insurance companies the opportunity to compete against each other.  Eliminate insurance company restrictions to group purchasing and allow individuals to join pools outside of employer control.  Let individuals decide what level of insurance they desire (within state established standards), therefore forcing insurance companies to compete with innovative offerings and plans.  Pass laws abolishing insurance company, and hospital restriction of physicians that bars them from accepting competitive insurance plans.  Basically, you make medical insurance as easy to purchase as car, home, or life insurance. Destroy the web of collusion, instead of protecting it.

RESULT: This impacts price channel from several directions.  Increased competitive pressure on the basis of quality, price, availability, service, and diversity of offerings.  An increase in the number of insured because the value proposition of being insured overcomes the cost of the product.  Physicians and other healthcare practitioners are encouraged to innovate and offer services above and beyond those established by insurance providers alone.  Removes control of care from the insurance companies and government and delivers it to the consumer.

Flame away libs!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
MyDogHunts
Activist

ascetic hedonist

« Reply #1319 on: November 08, 2013, 09:32:32 am »

We've been over this before but what the heck. . .

Is it smarter to treat the symptoms or the disease?

ETC...

Flame away libs!

Healthcare for profit & the fact that people do not want to die.  I'll have mine with fries.

I ran from OK about 50-yrs. ago & in 2010 I saw downtown's potential.

Tulsa's in a Phoenix rise, reason enough to stick around.

Besides... you can't fully be an Okie except in Oklahoma.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 120   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org