A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 05:33:45 am
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 120   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Protect Yourself From Obamacare  (Read 503312 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #810 on: September 27, 2012, 01:25:11 pm »

Why today was a good day for Barack Obama

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2012/09/majority_think_obamacare_will_stand_day_40_ray_of_hope_for_obama_.html

Every day until the election, Slate will offer up one reason to be optimistic for your candidate.

40 days to go:

Today’s Good News for Obama: Seven in 10 Americans assume the Affordable Care Act will go into effect—whether they like it or not. Considering Romney promises to repeal all or most of the law on his first day in office, these numbers indicate that Americans—and many conservatives—are slowly resigning themselves to the real possibility that a Romney presidency will never happen. Only 12 percent of those polled believe Obamacare will be repealed in its entirety, even though a mere 32 percent of Americans actually support the law. In spite of its divisiveness, the health care issue has taken a back seat on the campaign trail, and it’s looking like an increasingly settled issue. To Obama, this might also look like an increasingly settled election.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #811 on: September 27, 2012, 01:31:16 pm »

Only 32 percent support the law, but a surprising amount of the non-support comes from people who would like a law that went farther.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #812 on: October 22, 2012, 09:31:26 pm »

This one is interesting. Not sure if its Obamacare-related though.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/10/19/questions-can-trigger-split-visit-charge-at-docs-office/

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #813 on: October 28, 2012, 03:16:32 am »

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #814 on: October 28, 2012, 10:16:21 am »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/health/us-to-sponsor-health-insurance-plans-nationwide.html?adxnnl=1&ref=todayspaper&adxnnlx=1351440886-cq/SL0KO6U0fSP0WgBBuug

step closer to single payer

vote for Obama
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #815 on: November 07, 2012, 02:27:52 pm »

So I'm assuming Oklahoma is going to let the exchange slide and the Federal Government will do it for us.

Anyone know any different?
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #816 on: November 07, 2012, 07:26:23 pm »

It is a crying shame to have protection from being dumped for no particular reason.  Or being protected from getting dumped or not allowed to get insurance because of pre-existing conditions.  Or not being allowed to be covered with stupidly small lifetime limits on coverage.  Or having your kids able to stay on your plan.  Or not having to continue to 1/3 of all your health care spending pay for uninsured people - instead of you.

Darn the bad luck we didn't get Ryan.  That's ok, Wisconsin gets to enjoy him for the next two years.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #817 on: November 11, 2012, 03:37:22 pm »

Employers are not compelled to get part time employees health coverage, correct?

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #818 on: November 11, 2012, 04:58:38 pm »

Employers are not compelled to get part time employees health coverage, correct?

Correct. Many of the very, very wealthy people will find any way possible to not give their employees health care coverage.

Their employees are a dispensable commodity.

Power is nothing till you use it.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #819 on: November 11, 2012, 05:34:57 pm »

Correct. Many of the very, very wealthy people will find any way possible to not give their employees health care coverage.

Their employees are a dispensable commodity.

What's the matter with you? I asked a question and you throw that class warfare BS out there? For someone's who's party just won an election you and others in here are behaving like someone kicked your dog.

TulsaRufnex
Soccer Curmudgeon
Philanthropist

« Reply #820 on: November 11, 2012, 05:52:28 pm »

What's the matter with you? I asked a question and you throw that class warfare BS out there? For someone's who's party just won an election you and others in here are behaving like someone kicked your dog.

Class warfare BS?   Roll Eyes

This practice has been going on in many sectors of the economy for decades... prior to Obamacare, it was unwritten law that FULL TIME employees are offered some sort of healthcare benefit, because if they don't, that employer will experience higher turnover.... unfortunately in fast food and discount retail, big employers who pay their CEOs millions in salary/compensation/perks can only "afford" to offer their full time employees crap health insurance like THIS....

http://www.dsausa.org/lowwage/walmart/health.html

Some in the insurance industry have a hard time taking this coverage seriously. A gathering of 300 insurance agents in Las Vegas erupted into laughter last summer when an insurance-company executive explained a limited-benefit plan offered by Star Human Resources. "The annual cap is $1,000. That's not the deductible," said Gregory Mutz, CEO of Dallas insurer UICI, which had just acquired Star from Mr. Shoumaker.

Mr. Mutz told the agents not to laugh. Economically, the potential customers "are at the bottom of the food chain," he said. "I don't want to make fun" of this coverage.

These aren't "welfare queens."  These aren't "moochers."  These aren't primarily high school students or college kids picking up a little extra cash.  These are hard-working Americans.

A study released by the National Employment Law Project (NELP), however, shows that it is big corporations not small businesses that benefit from low-wage workers. “Big Business, Corporate Profits, and the Minimum Wage,” singles out McDonald’s, Wal-Mart, and Yum! Brands as among the large and profitable companies which employ 66 percent of low-wage workers.

Christine Owens, executive director of NELP said “While those businesses have emerged from the recession with strong profits, their lowest-paid workers are still struggling to make ends meet. It’s deeply worrisome that the very businesses that can most afford to pay fair wages and boost consumer demand are also driving the stagnant wage growth that is holding the economy back.”

And in fact it is more than holding the country back. It is costing state and federal governments millions to subsidize the employees of these profitable businesses. The stories of Wal-Mart employees on food stamps smack of urban legend, but they are not. A 2009 study by the Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Service found that 15,000 Wal-Mart employees were receiving Medicaid. The nation’s largest civilian employer was not the only welfare queen. In June of that year Ohio paid $28.5 million for Medicaid, $1.4 million for food stamps, and $10.9 million for Welfare for employees of the state’s 50 largest employers. Workers with salaries at or near the poverty line are also eligible for subsidized housing, reduced school lunches, and home heating assistance.

“Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they've seen it done every day, but they're unable to do it themselves.”
― Brendan Behan  http://www.TulsaRoughnecks.com
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #821 on: November 11, 2012, 07:32:36 pm »

Class warfare BS?   Roll Eyes

This practice has been going on in many sectors of the economy for decades... prior to Obamacare, it was unwritten law that FULL TIME employees are offered some sort of healthcare benefit, because if they don't, that employer will experience higher turnover.... unfortunately in fast food and discount retail, big employers who pay their CEOs millions in salary/compensation/perks can only "afford" to offer their full time employees crap health insurance like THIS....

http://www.dsausa.org/lowwage/walmart/health.html

These aren't "welfare queens."  These aren't "moochers."  These aren't primarily high school students or college kids picking up a little extra cash.  These are hard-working Americans.

Why is it an employer's job to insure its employees? I thought that's why insurance, retirement, etc. were called benefits or perks? Tell you what, open your account, start a business, hire a few people, and start insuring them. That way, you can have some understanding what is really happening.

For now, I was wanting to know who was exempt and that's it. Not why. Not how come. Just who.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #822 on: November 11, 2012, 07:45:00 pm »

Go ahead and get it out of your system. You are just in one of the stages of grief.

I have you pegged somewhere after denial and guilt and before bargaining. Yes, the anger stage.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #823 on: November 11, 2012, 08:08:55 pm »

Go ahead and get it out of your system. You are just in one of the stages of grief.
...Yes, the anger stage.

Um, does Guido have any other stage?

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #824 on: November 11, 2012, 08:26:58 pm »

I have you pegged somewhere after denial and guilt and before bargaining. Yes, the anger stage.

You have taken gloating to a whole new level.  Congratulations.

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 120   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org