A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 09:58:22 pm
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 120   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Protect Yourself From Obamacare  (Read 503232 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #585 on: May 16, 2012, 07:33:35 am »

Really, you're going to blame Obama because someone places their religion over all other considerations?

That damned freedom of religion thing getting in the way of freedom of healthcare. Oh wait. Nevermind. And not blaming Obama here. The blame is Obamacare.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #586 on: May 16, 2012, 08:04:46 am »

That damned freedom of religion thing getting in the way of freedom of healthcare. Oh wait. Nevermind. And not blaming Obama here. The blame is Obamacare.

Healthcare is keeping these folks from worshiping their chosen deity?

"Because of this we can't worship our God openly."  That's what is happening?
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #587 on: May 16, 2012, 09:46:44 am »

If my church decided social security contributions for all employees at every level and at every similarly named institution (Blessed Wevus University, the Wevus Child-Miner Association, even the Wevus Happy Pantry for Homeless but Attractive Mothers) were a direct affront to my belief structure, would it be cool if I just opted out?  Or decided to make everyone indy contractors to dodge the religious implications? 

Or a better analogy -- at the Wevus Ministries Book Bindery and Religious Regurgitation Factory, we've decided to forego OSHA compliance because it interferes with the free exercise of our employees' Carpal Tunnel Devotionals, which we practice every day on staggered 8 hour shifts. 

Also, we're going to be opting out of the minimum wage requirement because it interferes with . . . well, never mind what it interferes with. 
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #588 on: May 16, 2012, 12:11:39 pm »

Also, we're going to be opting out of the minimum wage requirement because it interferes with . . . well, never mind what it interferes with.  

Being forced to pay employees interferes with all the missionary work, donchaknow? If there were some implication towards freedom of religion, I have no doubt that the present Supreme Court will step in shortly.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #589 on: May 17, 2012, 04:17:59 pm »

Healthcare is keeping these folks from worshiping their chosen deity?

"Because of this we can't worship our God openly."  That's what is happening?

Not at all. And that's the straw man again. Freedom of religion is a preeminent, enumerated right in this country. Government is, and should be, prohibited from forcing any religion to act contrary to its beliefs--just as religion should not get up in your face and others in this forum. As for social security...issued resolved by the Supremes nearly 75 years ago so I'm moving on. Safety regulations? I'll defer to the appropriate test to determine if there is some compelling need present. Also, there is the RFRA that can provide some protection to both the religious institution and government's role.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #590 on: May 17, 2012, 04:54:25 pm »

Not at all. And that's the straw man again. Freedom of religion is a preeminent, enumerated right in this country. Government is, and should be, prohibited from forcing any religion to act contrary to its beliefs--just as religion should not get up in your face and others in this forum.

And yet, we have been doing exactly that for the entire history of our country.  How DO we ever resolve the conflict?

Just ask any fundamentalist Mormon, or just about any Indian tribe.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #591 on: May 21, 2012, 01:18:05 pm »

Catholics v. Obama. Link to the civil complaint.

http://www.preservereligiousfreedom.org/docs/complaint.pdf

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #592 on: May 23, 2012, 07:32:24 pm »

Another Catholic Univ. backing out of insurance coverage:

For any college or university like Ave Maria that requires students to have health insurance, this new cost will come as both a surprise and disappointment to the students affected. But for religiously-affiliated universities like Ave Maria, the damaging effect of the new Federal government regulations goes even further.

Recently our insurance carrier notified the University that it was required by PPACA to pay all claims for "preventive care services" regardless of the fact that they are specifically excluded in the Ave Maria group plan. So while the proposed premium increase is a financial burden to our students, the PPACA-required coverage of "preventive care services," such as abortion-inducing drugs, is an affront to our core values.

It is a sad day when Ave Maria's students are forced to choose between enrolling in a health insurance plan that is both costly and offers morally objectionable benefits, and having no coverage at all. The University has heard from a number of our elected student leaders and they, too, find the latest twist in the Federal mandate saga unacceptable.

Effective August 15, 2012, Ave Maria University will no longer require students to have health insurance. The University also will cease making group health insurance available to them. Students who are required to have health insurance as a condition of competing in intercollegiate athletics will now make their own arrangements and no longer remit insurance premium payments to the University.

http://www.catholic.org/national/national_story.php?id=46334

I thought if you liked your insurance you got to keep it. Or not:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czHwNR0nAOQ&feature=related[/youtube]

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #593 on: May 23, 2012, 07:58:16 pm »

What, you want the government to force organizations to keep offering health coverage?

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #594 on: May 23, 2012, 09:32:21 pm »

What, you want the government to force organizations to keep offering health coverage?

Noooope. I want the government to keep telling us that you get to keep our insurance with Obamacare. Oh wait....No you don't get to keep it. Now, with Obamacare, less people have coverage.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #595 on: May 24, 2012, 09:06:29 am »

Now, with Obamacare, less people have coverage.

Like who?  The church employees who lost it because the heads of the church are too ignorant and uneducated to recognize the need for certain types of birth control for women's health?

That bugs the Hell out of me.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:08:22 am by Townsend » Logged
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #596 on: May 24, 2012, 11:09:39 am »

Noooope. I want the government to keep telling us that you get to keep our insurance with Obamacare.

Luckily for any students involved, they will still be eligible to be covered by their parents' insurance thanks to Obamacare.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #597 on: May 24, 2012, 11:11:20 am »

Luckily for any students involved, they will still be eligible to be covered by their parents' insurance thanks to Obamacare.

Unless their parents' insurance goes away.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #598 on: May 24, 2012, 11:40:09 am »

Unless their parents' insurance goes away.

Or the cost goes so high they can't afford it any more. Which was already happening before the new law. It'll be interesting to see if it ends up doing much for cost growth when it is fully in place.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #599 on: May 24, 2012, 11:42:55 am »

Or the cost goes so high they can't afford it any more. Which was already happening before the new law. It'll be interesting to see if it ends up doing much for cost growth when it is fully in place.

I’m still solidly of the position that you can’t bring that many new people into the treatment and claims pool without premium costs going up regardless of all the new premiums coming in.  Time will tell.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 120   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org