A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:42:48 am
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 120   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Protect Yourself From Obamacare  (Read 503367 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #150 on: August 19, 2010, 04:26:15 pm »

The dems are retooling their message on HCR.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0810/The_new_message_Improve_health_care_dont_talk_cost.html?showall

You don't think they over-promised what Obamacare would do?  Nah.

But Nancy said to trust them and support passage of the law so we could know what was in it.  Obviously since a close family member of yours is a greedy healthcare professional, you are just planting the seeds of dissention out of spite, right?  Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #151 on: August 19, 2010, 05:10:25 pm »

But Nancy said to trust them and support passage of the law so we could know what was in it.  Obviously since a close family member of yours is a greedy healthcare professional, you are just planting the seeds of dissention out of spite, right?  Wink

Mwahahaha

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #152 on: November 10, 2010, 09:40:01 am »

We are still uncovering interesting requirements in Obamacare.  I guess it takes a while to read this thing?

Section 2572
"If a vending machine operator has 20 or more locations, they must reveal the calorie content to each item inside the machine before the consumer buys it." "A vending machine operator shall provide a sign in close proximity to each article of food or the selection button"

Because of ADA requirements, this information may be required in Bralle for each item, and in some states, the information will be required in multiple languages.  Vending machine operators have until 2011 to comply. . .About 50 days.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #153 on: November 10, 2010, 12:08:13 pm »

We are still uncovering interesting requirements in Obamacare.  I guess it takes a while to read this thing?

Section 2572
"If a vending machine operator has 20 or more locations, they must reveal the calorie content to each item inside the machine before the consumer buys it." "A vending machine operator shall provide a sign in close proximity to each article of food or the selection button"

Because of ADA requirements, this information may be required in Bralle for each item, and in some states, the information will be required in multiple languages.  Vending machine operators have until 2011 to comply. . .About 50 days.

Serious?

If that's f'real that's an excellent example of how government creates environments which stifle small business.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #154 on: November 10, 2010, 12:14:15 pm »

Serious?

If that's f'real that's an excellent example of how government creates environments which stifle small business.

Not if you are a manufacturer of small bralle signs!

Sorry. . .channeling Nate.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #155 on: November 10, 2010, 12:17:33 pm »

Not if you are a manufacturer of small bralle signs!

Sorry. . .channeling Nate.

One thing I've learned from working in industry is that when it comes to building codes and safety issues, people sit on regulatory boards who stand to gain from new regs.  Sort of like the folks at Simplex-Grinnel helping to write fire sprinkler codes.

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #156 on: November 10, 2010, 12:22:54 pm »

Section 2572

umm... sec 2572 has nothing to do with vending machines.

SEC. 2572. ONLINE HEALTH WORKFORCE TRAINING PROGRAMS.

Section 171 of the Workforce Investment Act of 1998 (29 U.S.C. 2916) (as amended by section 2553) is further amended by adding at the end the following:

`(g) Online Health Workforce Training Program-

`(1) GRANT PROGRAM-

`(A) IN GENERAL- The Secretary shall award National Health Workforce Online Training Grants on a competitive basis to eligible entities to enable such entities to carry out training for individuals to attain or advance in health care occupations. An entity may leverage such grant with other Federal, State, local, and private resources, in order to expand the participation of businesses, employees, and individuals in such training programs.

`(B) ELIGIBILITY- In order to receive a grant under the program established under this paragraph--

`(i) an entity shall be an educational institution, community-based organization, non-profit organization, workforce investment board, or local or county government; and

`(ii) an entity shall provide online workforce training for individuals seeking to attain or advance in health care occupations, including nursing, nursing assistants, dentistry, pharmacy, health care management and administration, public health, health information systems analysis, medical assistants, and other health care practitioner and support occupations.

`(C) PRIORITY- Priority in awarding grants under this paragraph shall be given to entities that--

`(i) have demonstrated experience in implementing and operating online worker skills training and education programs;

`(ii) have demonstrated experience coordinating activities, where appropriate, with the workforce investment system; and

`(iii) conduct training for occupations with national or local shortages.

`(D) DATA COLLECTION- Grantees under this paragraph shall collect and report information on--

`(i) the number of participants;

`(ii) the services received by the participants;

`(iii) program completion rates;

`(iv) factors determined as significantly interfering with program participation or completion;

`(v) the rate of job placement; and

`(vi) other information as determined as needed by the Secretary.

`(E) OUTREACH- Grantees under this paragraph shall conduct outreach activities to disseminate information about their program and results to workforce investment boards, local governments, educational institutions, and other workforce training organizations.

`(F) PERFORMANCE LEVELS- The Secretary shall establish indicators of performance that will be used to evaluate the performance of grantees under this paragraph in carrying out the activities described in this paragraph. The Secretary shall negotiate and reach agreement with each grantee regarding the levels of performance expected to be achieved by the grantee on the indicators of performance.

`(G) AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS- There are authorized to be appropriated to the Secretary to carry out this subsection $50,000,000 for fiscal years 2011 through 2020.

`(2) ONLINE HEALTH PROFESSIONS TRAINING PROGRAM CLEARINGHOUSE-

`(A) DESCRIPTION OF GRANT- The Secretary shall award one grant to an eligible postsecondary educational institution to provide the services described in this paragraph.

`(B) ELIGIBILITY- To be eligible to receive a grant under this paragraph, a postsecondary educational institution shall--

`(i) have demonstrated the ability to disseminate research on best practices for implementing workforce investment programs; and

`(ii) be a national leader in producing cutting-edge research on technology related to workforce investment systems under subtitle B.

`(C) SERVICES- The postsecondary educational institution that receives a grant under this paragraph shall use such grant--

`(i) to provide technical assistance to entities that receive grants under paragraph (1);

`(ii) to collect and nationally disseminate the data gathered by entities that receive grants under paragraph (1); and

`(iii) to disseminate the best practices identified by the National Health Workforce Online Training Grant Program to other workforce training organizations.

`(D) AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS- There are authorized to be appropriated to the Secretary to carry out this subsection $1,000,000 for fiscal years 2011 through 2020.'.
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c111:2:./temp/~c111K3OvbU:e2795215:
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #157 on: November 10, 2010, 12:26:37 pm »

umm... sec 2572 has nothing to do with vending machines.
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c111:2:./temp/~c111K3OvbU:e2795215:

Ah yes.  A little fact checking goes a long way.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #158 on: November 10, 2010, 12:27:28 pm »

Pesky facts, who needs 'em? They've got a liberal bias donchaknow? Wink

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #159 on: November 10, 2010, 12:28:10 pm »

Ah yes.  A little fact checking goes a long way.

But a little more digging found it buried in sec. 2562

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c111:2:./temp/~c111K3OvbU:e1530963:
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #160 on: November 10, 2010, 12:30:49 pm »

I was beginning to wonder if all the news stories were just made up out of whole cloth or what. Wink

Seriously, what's wrong with disclosing how many calories your food has (unless you're Hardee's/Carl's Jr.)? They've (apparently) been complaining about this for 5 or 6 months now. If they'd just gotten to work on it, it would be done by now.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #161 on: November 10, 2010, 12:41:22 pm »

Ah yes.  A little fact checking goes a long way.

I sure am glad liberals never make typographical errors.  I don't know where else I could turn to for accurate information.

Shocked

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #162 on: November 10, 2010, 12:48:18 pm »

I was beginning to wonder if all the news stories were just made up out of whole cloth or what. Wink

Seriously, what's wrong with disclosing how many calories your food has (unless you're Hardee's/Carl's Jr.)? They've (apparently) been complaining about this for 5 or 6 months now. If they'd just gotten to work on it, it would be done by now.

They don't want everyone to see the outrageous calories and fat in their products is the problem.

I can go online and find nutritional information for just about anything.  I think it's a bit ridiculous to require a complete redesign of vending machines to accomodate the additional placard space for 30 to 50 products.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #163 on: November 10, 2010, 01:18:13 pm »

I sure am glad liberals never make typographical errors.  I don't know where else I could turn to for accurate information.
I think once it gets repeated 500 times across the entire Internet and in newspapers across the country, it no longer counts as a simple typographical error.

It won't require a big redesign by the way. They're only required to list calorie content, not other nutritional information. It goes next to the price and the "B5" or whatever. The thing about braille is just fearmongering. I have yet to see a snack food machine with braille on it that wasn't in a school for the blind. Not that I would be terribly opposed to such a requirement in the future, but I don't see where it exists at present.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #164 on: November 10, 2010, 01:20:40 pm »

Sorry about the Section # mistake.  There are so many to account for.

I'm just happy that you guys have finally discovered Thomas.  Grin

Hey Nate, there's nothing wrong except now instead of stocking some extra Doritos when you run out of Funyuns, you have to change signage or reprogram.  They vending industry estimates this little requirement to cost 16 million extra labor hours.  

I have no problem with presenting nutrition information to the consumer, but not by force.  If you are monitoring your intake, every restaurant offers nutritional information on their products, however they do not shove it in your face when you walk in the door. They do not force you to be informed.  Like every other freedom, we are free to be idiots.  

How long till we eliminate Brands like Funyuns, Cheetos, and Tostedos, and replace them with 14g Onion Flavor, 16g Powderd Cheese & Corn, and 12g Oil Soaked Corn.  I don't want to live in that world.   How long until brands like Mountain Dew are outlawed because it is "misleading to the consumer"?  I like hamburgers, yet they contain no ham as the name implies. . .Outrage!

This is a pattern, an escalation.  We clearly denote content on food products, we also supply nutritional information based on a standardized diet formulated by our federal government.  Now we have to literally include these values in our advertising.  This is all in effort to change behavior.  In the past it has been proven not to change behavior at all.  I assume when it fails, yet again at the consumer's expense, it will result in all-out bans of food items that the government deems poor choices.  This is already happening in some more liberal states.

I'm curious, do you see this going any other direction?  

I understand that in Libtopia people envision these programs with different outcomes.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 120   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org