A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 12:47:04 pm
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 120   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Protect Yourself From Obamacare  (Read 503373 times)
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #120 on: March 27, 2010, 05:05:36 am »

A good portion of the bill covers the government take-over of the banking industry focused on student loans.
Given that the banks weren't loaning their own money in the first place, I don't think it's really a government takeover. It's not as if banks can't continue to provide private student loans as they have been. (Well, I had read they'd pretty much stopped after the meltdown, but presumably they started doing it again at some point)

I love how removing a government subsidy is now called a "government takeover." We live in interesting times.

So are we for or against handouts to big business now? I thought we had decided we were against that sort of thing.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #121 on: March 27, 2010, 09:03:51 am »

It will take 5 years before the impact and cost/benefit can be defined.

So, take a break....
You will have fled the country by then. No wonder you could care less

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
fotd
DONE
Civic Leader

« Reply #122 on: March 27, 2010, 01:39:40 pm »

You will have fled the country by then. No wonder you could care less

Not fleeing this great country, just these backwooded non progressive bigoted parts.

Why are you so impatient as to not wait and see? 5 years out, if your liver holds up, we will see.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 01:41:13 pm by fotd » Logged
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #123 on: March 27, 2010, 05:40:56 pm »

Yowza. If this holds, Republicans are in for a big surprise in November:

Independents seem to be much happier with the Democrats now that they got the health care bill passed.

Worse for those against HCR in the first place, 48% polled in the Gallup poll released Tuesday stated that the HCR that was passed is a "good first step," and expect to see more action on health care in the future.

Now, one should never put too much faith in polls, but they do give a good idea of general trends in thinking among the electorate.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #124 on: March 27, 2010, 05:56:33 pm »

For every "good" poll there is a counter.

This March 24 CBS poll says, by 62%, that the repubs should continue fighting HCR

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20001117-503544.html

Obama's "bounce" is gone as well (WARNING:  Conservative website):

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/03/27/polls-obama-bounce-from-o-cares-passage-already-starting-to-fade/

Even Gallup, which is the source of your poll, has Obama's bounce fading.  Could be a trend, who knows. Polls suck.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2010, 05:59:14 pm »

It's a long way to November.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #126 on: March 27, 2010, 06:13:20 pm »

This March 24 CBS poll says, by 62%, that the repubs should continue fighting HCR
Yet, actually relevant to my previous post, it also says this, which reinforces my point:
Thirty-eight percent now say they approve of Congressional Democrats, up from 29 percent before the vote.

That's actually more than the Gallup poll.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #127 on: March 28, 2010, 11:50:32 am »

Yet, actually relevant to my previous post, it also says this, which reinforces my point:
That's actually more than the Gallup poll.

Now Gallup has Obama at an all time low. More poll bs.
http://centristnetblog.com/daily-news/post-obamacare-collapse-obama-approval-matches-all-time-low-in-gallup/
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 11:52:39 am by guido911 » Logged

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #128 on: April 01, 2010, 11:13:27 am »

I suppose it will hit Tulsa sooner than we expected.  I guess we'll find out about layoffs after the first quarter earnings reports. Huh

The Boeing Co. expects to take a $150 million charge in the first quarter as a result of the recently enacted federal health care plan.

Boeing said today that the expense will hurt its first quarter earnings by about 20 cents per share.

The company's announcement comes shortly after the enactment of President Barack Obama's Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, as modified by the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act.

Several other companies have said they will take accounting charges due to the health care reform bill including AT&T, AK Steel Corp., Caterpillar Inc. and 3M Co.

Beginning in 2013, Boeing said it will no longer be able to claim an income tax deduction related to prescription drug benefits provided to retirees and reimbursed under the Medicare Part D retiree drug subsidy. Although this tax increase does not take effect until 2013, accounting standards require that a deferred income tax asset be written down in the period legislation changing the tax law is enacted.

Boeing will revise its earnings estimate and announce the change when it reports first quarter earnings next month.

From the Herald and AP.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #129 on: April 01, 2010, 11:28:30 am »

I suppose it will hit Tulsa sooner than we expected.  I guess we'll find out about layoffs after the first quarter earnings reports. Huh

The Boeing Co. expects to take a $150 million charge in the first quarter as a result of the recently enacted federal health care plan.

Boeing said today that the expense will hurt its first quarter earnings by about 20 cents per share.

The company's announcement comes shortly after the enactment of President Barack Obama's Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, as modified by the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act.

Several other companies have said they will take accounting charges due to the health care reform bill including AT&T, AK Steel Corp., Caterpillar Inc. and 3M Co.

Beginning in 2013, Boeing said it will no longer be able to claim an income tax deduction related to prescription drug benefits provided to retirees and reimbursed under the Medicare Part D retiree drug subsidy. Although this tax increase does not take effect until 2013, accounting standards require that a deferred income tax asset be written down in the period legislation changing the tax law is enacted.

Boeing will revise its earnings estimate and announce the change when it reports first quarter earnings next month.

From the Herald and AP.

Linkey?
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #130 on: April 01, 2010, 11:32:07 am »

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20100331/BIZ/100339977

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #131 on: April 01, 2010, 11:34:27 am »

http://www.businessinsurance.com/article/20100331/NEWS/100339982

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2011485568_apusboeingoutlook.html

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100401/ap_on_bi_ge/us_boeing_outlook_4

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_BOEING_OUTLOOK?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #132 on: April 01, 2010, 11:44:19 am »

Would that have been considered corporate welfare under the Bush administration and now taking it away is a tax increase under the Obama administration?
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #133 on: April 01, 2010, 11:46:32 am »

Would that have been considered corporate welfare under the Bush administration and now taking it away is a tax increase under the Obama administration?

You're right.  Not having it in the first place would have been the best idea.  Grin

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #134 on: April 01, 2010, 11:47:13 am »

You're right.  Not having it in the first place would have been the best idea.  Grin

Ding
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 120   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org