A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 10:40:21 am
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 277   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: President Trump- The Implications  (Read 1479981 times)
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #3345 on: June 10, 2018, 10:28:31 pm »

You complain that my link didnt include her apology, but a mere 36 characters later you cite the apology from my link.

My complaint is you only claim half the story in your comment. She made a mistake as any talking head can do, but you make it seem that only the first part is important. It's really a non story.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3346 on: June 10, 2018, 11:24:08 pm »

There's plenty to dislike about Trump.  Yet, no other POTUS has managed to get the NORKs to the table, at least that anyone knows of, since the end of WWII.  Why KJU wants to meet with us now is beyond me, but if the opportunity has presented itself, why is everyone being so hard on the Trump admin for following through with such a breakthrough?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3347 on: June 10, 2018, 11:46:57 pm »

There's plenty to dislike about Trump.  Yet, no other POTUS has managed to get the NORKs to the table, at least that anyone knows of, since the end of WWII.  Why KJU wants to meet with us now is beyond me, but if the opportunity has presented itself, why is everyone being so hard on the Trump admin for following through with such a breakthrough?

No, every president has been able to get them to the table, they have chosen not to do so without having South Korea, Japan, China and other present and without major concessions. Meeting one on one as equals without conditions is a huge win for Kim and solidifies his leadership internally and with China.

He is playing Trump like a violin.

Kim's irrationality has been completely intelligent and strategic while Trump feels no need to prepare and is working by feelings. What could go wrong?

I hope he is different from his father and grandfather, but his actions and game play have been no different.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 08:42:00 am by swake » Logged
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3348 on: June 11, 2018, 08:12:20 am »

There's plenty to dislike about Trump.  Yet, no other POTUS has managed to get the NORKs to the table, at least that anyone knows of, since the end of WWII.  Why KJU wants to meet with us now is beyond me, but if the opportunity has presented itself, why is everyone being so hard on the Trump admin for following through with such a breakthrough?

Really??   You back to buying into the BS??  What happened to the recovery part?

Talks have been going on for decades - it has only been today that a US President has chosen to elevate the status of a cheesy little tinhorn dictator to this level, without some payback.  Ask yourself why, then remember that just a day or two ago, Trump also said G club should also let Putin back in.

Here is a history - and that is just nuke talks;

https://www.armscontrol.org/factsheets/dprkchron

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3349 on: June 11, 2018, 08:16:21 am »

This.   Reality, regardless of how  you feel about his politics.  He was right about VietNam.  He is right about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQvig0KvUaE

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3350 on: June 11, 2018, 08:20:59 am »

This is what the world sounds like on a player piano.  Nice little diversion from the day to day political infighting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDvkKX8cO8Q

rebound
City Father

« Reply #3351 on: June 11, 2018, 09:23:07 am »

Really??   You back to buying into the BS??  What happened to the recovery part?

Talks have been going on for decades - it has only been today that a US President has chosen to elevate the status of a cheesy little tinhorn dictator to this level, without some payback.  Ask yourself why, then remember that just a day or two ago, Trump also said G club should also let Putin back in.

Here is a history - and that is just nuke talks;

https://www.armscontrol.org/factsheets/dprkchron

I'm with Conan on this one.  Nixon went to China, caught all kinds of crap.  Obama said he'd talk to Iran and the like, caught all kinds of crap.  Talking is better than not talking.

I do think it's an ego thing for both of them, but whatever it takes on this.  I'm very doubtful that anything of substance will come out of it (but Trump will claim victory regardless), but if it does anything to inch NK more into the mainstream, great for the world.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #3352 on: June 11, 2018, 09:47:27 am »

I'm with Conan on this one.  Nixon went to China, caught all kinds of crap.  Obama said he'd talk to Iran and the like, caught all kinds of crap.  Talking is better than not talking.

I do think it's an ego thing for both of them, but whatever it takes on this.  I'm very doubtful that anything of substance will come out of it (but Trump will claim victory regardless), but if it does anything to inch NK more into the mainstream, great for the world.

Agreed. It's a first meeting. It's laying ground work for more meetings. It took Reagan four or five meetings with Gorbachev, and Reagan walked out of the first one in Helsinki. I'm hoping for forward progress and that this one and future ones move the ball forward.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #3353 on: June 11, 2018, 09:48:47 am »

Agreed. It's a first meeting. It's laying ground work for more meetings. It took Reagan four or five meetings with Gorbachev, and Reagan walked out of the first one in Helsinki. I'm hoping for forward progress and that this one and future ones move the ball forward.

Let's just hope he doesn't pull a "G7" where he says everything went all great at the meeting, but when he finds out what Premier Kim says after he's gone, he'll go in a tweet-rage.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3354 on: June 11, 2018, 09:54:46 am »

Hope is great, but Trump's track record is pure horse smile.

Idiot toddler in chief.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 11:53:15 am by swake » Logged
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #3355 on: June 11, 2018, 10:03:22 am »

Hope is great, but Trump's track record is pure horse smile.

Idiot toddler in chief.

Something about a picture and telling a thousand words, no?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3356 on: June 11, 2018, 10:16:29 am »

I'm with Conan on this one.  Nixon went to China, caught all kinds of crap.  Obama said he'd talk to Iran and the like, caught all kinds of crap.  Talking is better than not talking.

I do think it's an ego thing for both of them, but whatever it takes on this.  I'm very doubtful that anything of substance will come out of it (but Trump will claim victory regardless), but if it does anything to inch NK more into the mainstream, great for the world.

Not talking about the act of meeting - talking about the BS being spewed about how this is something new - we have talked to NK for decades.  And the fact that there were no conditions - the ones you mentioned had conditions associated before actual action.  

Talking is pretty much always better than fighting - that is arguably the single biggest reason we have not had more fighting in Korea in the last 65 years!   There has bee a LOT of talking - often in the form of spitting cats - but still not much in the way of shooting.  Same thing applies to Iran, and we actually were very successfully headed that direction until just a few weeks ago, when a certain ID 10 T changed all that.  With meaningful conditions that were being adhered to by all sides.

Bigger picture question - exactly where would one like to see the "ball" move??   What does one hope for out of this?  

My answer - there has been a huge historical ongoing commentary to NK about how their economy could advance and be so much more than what it is - like South Korea if they would just make a few tiny little adjustments.  So far they have been unwilling to do any of that.   I would like to see more initiative by us to lessen the load on NK for a little while.   Give them a sample of what they could expect to experience if they just move their position some.  Sanctions and other treatments can go back on at a later date if needed.   Someone has to make the first step, so how about us?   After all, we did that with China, as you mentioned.  With no pre-conditions.  (China was the one thing Nixon got right, even if he was trying to divert attention...sound like something going on today?)

We made those same kind of moves toward normalization of relations with Cuba not that long ago - another piece of the Obama legacy Trump wants to eliminate.  

We were even headed to a healthy, beneficial relationship with Canada and a trade surplus until just a day or two ago!  Shame that we are now going to be at war with them again so soon after the last hostilities!   Oh, wait...what...??

So if one truly wants to move things forward, different approaches and attitudes must be predominant.   Remember when Reagan advanced the idea that Mexico should be under consideration as our next set of states to admit to the union??   Now some fool wants a wall...

Whether one likes him or not, Obama made a lot of advancements in foreign relations that were MUCH better than anything Trump has done, or will do.  And better than Bush's foreign relations debacles.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 10:33:20 am by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3357 on: June 11, 2018, 11:23:05 am »

Dennis Rodman just landed in Singapore

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-kim-jong-un-meeting-summit/h_40061c979b65f68fc4075231065bdcae
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3358 on: June 11, 2018, 11:54:37 am »

You simply can't make this crap up.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #3359 on: June 11, 2018, 02:30:17 pm »

You simply can't make this crap up.

Almost poetic, in a way...

Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 277   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org