A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 09:22:51 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Brady District Business: Main Street  (Read 8056 times)
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 12:34:41 pm »

Is Chimera in a contest with Pryhm for the most mispronounced restaurant in the Brady District?

Chimera is a word.   (blame the English language for it's pronunciation nuances :  /kīˈmi(ə)rə/ not /CHi mi(ə)rə/ )
Prhyme is not a word  (they went out of their way to use ebonics)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 02:19:31 pm »

Its sad that Tulsa folk don't read enough to know what a Chimera is and how that word is pronounced.

At least ask the googles

Been floored with how many people also can't pronounce Decopolis.   Metro and Metropolis.  Deco and Decopolis.  Not exactly brain surgery.  But then again I have actually started discovering that some people have never heard of the word Metropolis, and don't know what it means?  What do kids do in schools these days? And Chimera... your saying some people don't know what that is either? Egads.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 02:28:38 pm »

Been floored with how many people also can't pronounce Decopolis.   Metro and Metropolis.  Deco and Decopolis.  Not exactly brain surgery.  But then again I have actually started discovering that some people have never heard of the word Metropolis, and don't know what it means?  What do kids do in schools these days? And Chimera... your saying some people don't know what that is either? Egads.

I've had experiences with:

Tortilla  (Tor-til-la)
Bistro  (Bristow)
fajita  (fa-ge-ta)

I'm sure of many more but those popped into my head pretty quickly.

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 02:52:20 pm »

In fairness, it has been a while since the last Superman movie.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 03:12:10 pm »

Tortilla  (Tor-til-la)
Bistro  (Bristow)
fajita  (fa-ge-ta)

I've been asked where I got those NAY-chos before.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
davideinstein
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 05:10:17 pm »

My girlfriend went to Chimera yesterday and said it was great.
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 06:17:41 pm »

Tortilla  (Tor-til-la)
Bistro  (Bristow)
fajita  (fa-ge-ta)

It's not incorrect to pronounce "tortilla" as "tor-till-a" or "fajita" as "fageeta." That's how they are phonetically pronounced in English. British people actually say them like that. (Well..not sure about "fageeta" but they do say "fill-it" for "fillet.") The British actually think we are pretentious for our pronunciation of those words.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 07:00:47 pm »

Yes. Good quality at good price points. It's not for the fat.

Very nice caffeine buzz.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 07:15:20 pm »

I had a stint working behind a movie theater concession stand....

"Can I get some of them Ree Sees?"

OSU
Activist

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 11:44:00 pm »

This is all I can think of when I hear the name of this place...

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 10:05:03 am »

It's not incorrect to pronounce "tortilla" as "tor-till-a" or "fajita" as "fageeta." That's how they are phonetically pronounced in English. British people actually say them like that. (Well..not sure about "fageeta" but they do say "fill-it" for "fillet.") The British actually think we are pretentious for our pronunciation of those words.

The British can suck it. "lift", "telly", "easy-peasy"...egads indeed you toffey nosed anglos.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 10:24:09 am »

Thank you.  I could not figure out why I always thought "deadly bacteria" when I read the name.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 10:36:31 am »

Let us not forget aluminum is "ally-min-yoom" to the limeys.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 11:47:55 am »

I think I'll open a joint in the Brady District named "Irregardless" to complete the triology - 1) hard to pronounce word that does not exist; 2) commonly mispronounced word that does exist; and 3) correctly pronounced word that does not exist.
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 09:32:59 am »

I was about to say.... I know how to pronounce Chimera... I've seen Mission:Impossible 2.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org