A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 10:55:22 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Now Forum  (Read 17996 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2013, 08:12:13 pm »

I will say this much:

I worked manual labor most of my time from high school until my early to mid twenties.  Then I got an office job after I nearly cut my finger off working at Aaon.

I was able to continue my office jobs until I am at where I am now through perseverance and continuing education.  So I respect people who work manual labor.

But, until you walk a mile or more in an office worker's shoes, you won't know the kind psychological crap that they have to deal with.  There were many times I wanted to get back into manual labor work just to get out of the office politics because I knew how that manual labor could be an outlet for stress.  But I toughed it out and figured out how to survive in that kind of environment.

But I guess you'll never know or understand that side of it.

I've done office work know for almost 20 years.  Some of that office work also involved manual labor (I worked for a direct mail company; I routinely had to haul 50 or more 50 lb boxes of paper daily).  Some of it still does.

You are not endearing yourselves to people here when you make some of the statements you have made.

I do WORK for a living.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2013, 08:25:56 pm »

No way he's a union guy with those attitudes. I also have worked both blue collar, office and management. The stress of management gives heart attacks, obesity, smoking, drinking and divorce. Office workers suffer the same indignities and high handed behavior you described.

Anyway, there are no best lawyers, just some who are more experienced in the area you need than others. Like a doctor, it pays to get a second opinion.

onward...through the fog
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2013, 08:31:21 pm »

I collect used beverage cans. If you collect enough you can make it into a full-time job.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2013, 08:37:33 pm »

Having a career, a profession, an occupation, or a job does not necessarily mean you WORK.
Any physics book will define work as; energy in motion.

The engineering definition of work is a force moving through a distance.  Force applied at a distance (torque) without motion doesn't count.

For everyone else, work is not so specific.  Believe me, you will not get any sympathy citing engineering definitions.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2013, 08:38:42 pm »

I collect used beverage cans. If you collect enough you can make it into a full-time job.

Now "you" collect cans, bottles, newspaper...

Thank you.

Ed W
City Father

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2013, 08:43:22 pm »

No way he's a union guy with those attitudes.

I wouldn't go that far.  Some of my oppressed fellow workers are stalwart Republicans.  Some even belong to a so-called "craft union" that supports right to work - proof that you can fool some of the people all of the time.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2013, 09:04:19 pm »

I wouldn't go that far.  Some of my oppressed fellow workers are stalwart Republicans.  Some even belong to a so-called "craft union" that supports right to work - proof that you can fool some of the people all of the time.

Do we really want to go there in this thread?

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2013, 09:10:00 pm »

No. But the guy would vote for a politician he criticizes for not having real life work experience. You gotta' wonder.

And his remarks about Democrats are offensive.

onward...through the fog
CDL
Citizen

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2013, 09:16:07 pm »

Ed W - But it needs to be illegal.
I can no longer do the work, due to the injury.
I have a family and home in OK.
Even if I could do the work, I now have a two year gap in work history, because they will not even acknowledge that I was employed there.
I had my sister pose as a potential employer. She called and asked for a work reference. McCracken said that, because of the change in receivership, she is the wrong person to speak to. (She is the only person who can speak to this issue) She said there is no one who can verify my employment.
But, when it caused me to get saddled with a one year apartment lease she could.
No, I will not just put this behind me.
This is very therapeutic.
Hopefully, getting this information out, will make the public aware of how unethical Tech Ridge and NAI Petrous are.
If they will do this to employees, one must wonder how low they will sink, in dealing with their tenants.

And, public health and safety may still be at risk at Tech Ridge.
I was not able to complete the inspection of all thirteen buildings, and as I said, most systems at Tech Ridge are 1974 model units. there are several hundred systems.
The 40 systems that were replaced when I was in charge, were just two of the buildings.
I am concerned for the health and safety of the tenants at Tech Ridge.

Oh by the way Red Arrow, 12 - 16 hours per day, seven days each week is a normal work week, for a heat and air man, or for any other construction industry.
I've been working these kinds of hours for 30+ years. Before that it was 24 on and carry on, as an engineer in the US Navy.
I was not getting OT, I was on salary. So, your remark about the money is moot.
You can't see clear ice. That's what caused my injury. Could have happened to anyone.
On the job injuries are part of the job, when you work in the construction industries.
 But unethical employment practices should be illegal.

Workers comp. laws do need change.
If the laws will prohibit the type of unethical business practices, that are used by Tech Ridge and other corporations, workers comp. attorneys will find themselves in the unemployment line.
And, I hope the governor will take in consideration stories like mine.

WARNING TO TECH RIDGE TENANTS: If you have headaches, dizziness, or unexplained illnesses, you may wish to be tested for carbon monoxide poisoning, mold related illness, or some other illness caused by poor indoor air quality.  Sick building syndrome can be the cause of serious health problems, including legionnaire disease.

CDL
Citizen

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2013, 09:30:59 pm »

AquaMan
             "And his remarks about Democrats are offensive."

The democrat party is offensive!
Bunch of homosexual/pot smoking/tax & spend/global warming hoax/baby killers, robbing the future of our children, and giving this country away to Mexico.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2013, 09:39:11 pm »

And, public health and safety may still be at risk at Tech Ridge.
I was not able to complete the inspection of all thirteen buildings, and as I said, most systems at Tech Ridge are 1974 model units. there are several hundred systems.
The 40 systems that were replaced when I was in charge, were just two of the buildings.
I am concerned for the health and safety of the tenants at Tech Ridge.
If you are truly concerned, report it to OSHA or some other work place safety authority. It is your duty to do so.  Otherwise, you are blowing smoke.

Oh by the way Red Arrow, 12 - 16 hours per day, seven days each week is a normal work week, for a heat and air man, or for any other construction industry.
I've been working these kinds of hours for 30+ years. Before that it was 24 on and carry on, as an engineer in the US Navy.
You are not 20 something anymore.  Stop trying to be a martyr.

I was not getting OT, I was on salary. So, your remark about the money is moot.
You could have declined the job.  The money point is not moot.  The OT part is not a player.

You can't see clear ice. That's what caused my injury. Could have happened to anyone.
Perhaps.  Were you not aware of the potential for clear ice?

Workers comp. laws do need change.
Agreed.  Give us some of your specific suggestions.

If the laws will prohibit the type of unethical business practices, that are used by Tech Ridge and other corporations, workers comp. attorneys will find themselves in the unemployment line.
No, there will still be plenty of workers who accidentally loose a finger or something to put "Junior" through college.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2013, 09:41:41 pm »

AquaMan
Bunch of homosexual/pot smoking/tax & spend/global warming hoax/baby killers, robbing the future of our children, and giving this country away to Mexico.

In the "Win friends and influence people" arena, you certainly have the "influence people" part down cold.

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2013, 09:42:01 pm »

AquaMan

Geez. No wonder they canned you.

onward...through the fog
CDL
Citizen

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2013, 10:05:23 pm »

Hoss
"But, until you walk a mile or more in an office worker's shoes, you won't know the kind psychological crap that they have to deal with.  There were many times I wanted to get back into manual labor work just to get out of the office politics because I knew how that manual labor could be an outlet for stress.  But I toughed it out and figured out how to survive in that kind of environment."

"But I guess you'll never know or understand that side of it."

My job as lead engineer, requires me to do the grunt work all day, when I am not needed in a staff meeting, or to train apprentices, then do the office work of
managing the department after hours til 10 or 11 at night. And being the only person licensed to do the HVAC work, this means working weekends.

I have held leadership positions as safety coordinator, maintenance coordinator, quality control inspector, and HVAC instructor.

I know both sides of the coin.

Real work is not done in an office.  Been there, done that.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2013, 10:09:44 pm »

Hoss
"But, until you walk a mile or more in an office worker's shoes, you won't know the kind psychological crap that they have to deal with.  There were many times I wanted to get back into manual labor work just to get out of the office politics because I knew how that manual labor could be an outlet for stress.  But I toughed it out and figured out how to survive in that kind of environment."

"But I guess you'll never know or understand that side of it."

My job as lead engineer, requires me to do the grunt work all day, when I am not needed in a staff meeting, or to train apprentices, then do the office work of
managing the department after hours til 10 or 11 at night. And being the only person licensed to do the HVAC work, this means working weekends.

I have held leadership positions as safety coordinator, maintenance coordinator, quality control inspector, and HVAC instructor.

I know both sides of the coin.

Real work is not done in an office.  Been there, done that.

Never been to my office then.  I've been around your type; holier than thou attitude.  No wonder you're having such a rough time, because you think you're entitled.

Hey, I thought that was a Democratic trait?

I'm done with you now.  After reading your screed on your FB page (which, BTW, you might think about not serving up all your status updates as 'Global'...which means everyone in the FB world can see it..unless that's you how you roll) I not only need to do the rest of my laundry, I might need a capful of mental bleach.

Have a nice life.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org