A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 12:06:38 am
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oklahoma Joes Fundraiser Kerfuffle  (Read 56356 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #165 on: April 17, 2013, 01:54:38 pm »

Weak minds feel content to blame others for their failures.  That is not unique to any particular group, religion or political affiliation.

True.  I just state this because it's the primary reason I am no longer affiliated with any religion.  They ALL are judgemental and think theirs is the singular religion.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #166 on: April 17, 2013, 02:36:25 pm »

If people would just realize that Religion and a Church of you're choice, is only a place you go to be fed in the spirit of the Lord you have chose to follow.
No one Religion is the best of all. It is all about you're relationship with the God of you're choice.
I can't pray you into Heaven. Only you can do that. The Bible is a guide line for the way that you can live you're life. If you choose too.
It can be used to uplift or tear down. And many people are very good at doing both.
No Church will ever be perfect for everyone. We are dealing with human beings. And not all will have as much or as little as the next Church member. That is where you're spirit of discernment comes into play. Once again. Yours not theirs.

In my opinion. It comes down to how you treat others. I won't like you any better if I find out that you are Baptist, Catholic or Atheist. If I am treated with respect, Honesty and just all around decency.

Leave my decisions about my Heaven up to me. The Heart is the Temple where all truth resides.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #167 on: April 17, 2013, 03:16:49 pm »

The Q is not bad.....!!

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #168 on: April 17, 2013, 03:25:53 pm »

The Q is not bad.....!!

Not really good, either.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #169 on: April 17, 2013, 04:04:51 pm »

Not really good, either.

What?  It's sprinkled with exclusion.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #170 on: April 17, 2013, 04:21:02 pm »

The Q is not bad.....!!

Kinda pricey for my low budget.  Sad

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #171 on: April 17, 2013, 04:25:11 pm »

True.  I just state this because it's the primary reason I am no longer affiliated with any religion.  They ALL are judgemental and think theirs is the singular religion.

Mine doesn't.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #172 on: April 17, 2013, 04:28:41 pm »

The Q is not bad.....!!

My condolences....

Have you been to Albert G's?  It really is very good - I think you would like it more than "not bad".... and the price/performance ratio is decent, too!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #173 on: April 17, 2013, 05:14:10 pm »

My condolences....

Have you been to Albert G's?  It really is very good - I think you would like it more than "not bad".... and the price/performance ratio is decent, too!

It be good...!!!... Grin

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #174 on: April 17, 2013, 06:27:36 pm »

My condolences....

I went there, felt like I overpaid and the food was pretty meh.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #175 on: April 17, 2013, 07:44:39 pm »

Once a kid understands religion and how it works, the kid will stop praying for the bike.

The kid will steal the bike and pray for forgiveness.

Christianity is fairly unique to that view.  Jews, Hindus, Budists, and Muslims, must answer for trespasses beyond simple confession.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #176 on: April 17, 2013, 08:24:48 pm »

This has sparked a great discussion.   

Religion is belief system (it matters not what specific religion), based on the the acknowledgement that there exists something greater than the individual human mind. Individual religions incorporate cultural systems, fables, and rituals designed to enforce that belief in a way that all members can comprehend even though it is accepted that they are by nature incapable of comprehensive religious knowledge (just as an ant in your kitchen is incapable of understanding your mind).  Religion is typically the basis for society, because it establishes a world view and cultural rules that allow humans to share similar ethical and moral positions including but not limited to family, sexuality, law, and life itself.  Basically, religion is the acceptance that we are all children of something greater.
Close, but a little off.  It's not that society follows religion, but more the other way around, as a way to control the masses and explain the unknown.

Atheism is simply an individual choice NOT to adopt the belief that anything exists greater than the individual human mind or the collective human experience.  It is an existential and purely materialistic, in that "if a thing cannot be proven through observation or scientific evidence, it does not exist."  In atheism, belief is fluid, in that the atheists of the 1500s are very different than the atheists of today, because the science and understanding of the universe has changed.  Atheists are free to define their own ethics and morality, and common moral positions, and are not bound to any cultural standard. 
Wow, you really don't know what you are talking about.  First of, it is not a choice, it's simply a matter of believing or not.  Saying it's a choice is one of the most idiotic statements that can be made on the subject.   Beyond that, it is simply the lack of belief in any supernatural deities.  It does not require anything else.  And yes, atheists of the 1500s are very different from the atheists of today, but guess what, so is every freakin one else.  Oh, and in case you didn't notice, all groups are free to define their own ethics and morality, though they all are bound by cultural standards.  The primary difference between atheists and theists in this respect is that theists pretend (well, most believe it, but belief does not make fact) that they have some holy scripture that they base theirs on, therefore making it better than everyone else's. 

Personally I know many atheists. Spending a great deal of my youth in the Unitarian church, I watched many of my friends come to adopt a position of existential materialism as they grew up.  Their lives tend to follow similar themes.  Many are not happy that others would accept the concept of something greater than what experience or empirical evidence can show.  This pushes them to evangelize (or educate as they call it) just as other religions do, and fosters the concept (as Heron mentioned) that they may indeed be a religion.  It would be a struggle to be a real atheist, in that our wishes, hopes and dreams are based on a sense of spirit.  I find that religion IS human nature.  From the time we are children, until the day we die, it is necessary to have the faith that there is something more, something beyond what we can see, read, taste, touch, feel or smell.  Our fantasies are our way of reaching for that.  Otherwise life has little value beyond pleasure or pain, and the sensations from acquisition or loss of the material.

No offense Custosnox, but it is my experience that atheists have very sad lives filled with loss and tragedy, not because of any cosmic or supernatural karma, but because society provides very litte space for them.

and all of that is one of the biggest crock of shite that I've ever seen, and pushed by so many theists that it's truly sad.  I am willing to bet that I know a great many more atheists than you, and on a large part, they tend to be a good deal happier than the theists that I know. (actually, I think there is a study on this out there as well, but just going from memory here and can't back it up)  Of course the general public sees the ones that are outspoken, often truly pissed off about how they have been treated by others.  These folks, and yes, I'm one of them, only make up a small portion of the community (and those who don't even associate with the community, though that does not keep them from being an atheist).  I'm willing to bet that everyone in this forum actually knows several atheists and don't even know it.  Oh, and the group that is trying to push everyone else into atheism fall into the category of atheism known also as anti-theism.  These are the ones that think that religion is inherently toxic.  No, I don't fall into this group.  While I think we would be better off without all of these mythologies, I feel everyone should be allowed their beliefs (or lack there of), as long as these are not forced on others, and do not hurt others.  However, because the angry and anti groups are generally the most vocal, these are the ones that most people think represent the vast majority of us. 
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #177 on: April 17, 2013, 08:39:10 pm »

Christianity is fairly unique to that view.  Jews, Hindus, Budists, and Muslims, must answer for trespasses beyond simple confession.

Praying for forgiveness is different than confession.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #178 on: April 17, 2013, 08:48:40 pm »

I went there, felt like I overpaid and the food was pretty meh.

Really?  Huh...that kind of surprises me.  Sorry to hear you didn't care for it that much....

I still miss Black Jaxx in Oologah...that guy had it dialed in like nobody I have ever seen before or since.  Very sad day when he shut it down.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #179 on: April 17, 2013, 08:53:17 pm »

Praying for forgiveness is different than confession.

It's easier to get forgiven than to get permission.

Grin

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org