A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 02:46:05 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why no interest in airport industiral park  (Read 28393 times)
shadows
City Father

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2012, 07:15:34 pm »

How in the hell is Stormwater Management pie in the sky?   I'm sure glad it was done.

Any filling in the corridor between the expressway and Mingo by the calculations taught in our substandard TPS, (that the state wants to improve) will easily show that such filling will increase flood depths in flood prone areas south of Pine.  It is this flood water corridor being filled is what should alarm the citizens.  True we have the lowest flood insurance but instead of  paying $100 dollars per $10,000 and insure only the damage one expects now it is around $80 dollars per 10 thousand but requiring the insurance to cover full replacement value of the property.  Like I have said the next time they blow the flood alarm just run like hell because the flash flooding waters enter the basin much faster than can exit through a restricted corridor    

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2012, 07:30:17 pm »

Managing the major gully washer is money well spent.  Allowing development in areas within a 100 year flood plain has proven that statistics don't guarantee a result.  Does anyone have any numbers if Flood Insurance is self supporting by its premiums, at least at a national level?

So this begs the question.  Have YOU ever been flooded?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2012, 08:08:40 pm »

OK. I understand.

Shadows freely admits to dropping out of school in the third grade, yet somehow he knows more about hydrology than all the civil engineers in the world.
And he has some pretty picture drawings to prove it.

Forgive me for not agreeing with shadows on this one.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2012, 08:36:14 pm »

I'll have to give you a yes with qualifications.  When I was in the Navy at NAS Memphis (Millington, TN) the south side of the base flooded deep enough to swim in except we weren't allowed because of the local venomous snake population.  The barracks were at the edge of the flooding at the northern end of the base south of the main road.  A lot of us moved our cars to the north side of the base where they were safe.  At NAS Oceana (VA Beach, VA) the base wasn't totally flooded but it was deep enough in spots for the cooling fan to throw water into the air cleaner of my car and make the engine quit.  No hydraulic lock fortunately and the next day it started up.

As far as being in the Tulsa area, my dad was told to look out for flood areas when we moved here.  He got the USGS map (I still have that copy from 1971) and made sure that we were not in an area that would flood.   I guess Nathan would call that an unfair advantage.  At our house back east, we were near the lowest part of town but were far enough up the hill that we never got flooded.  I remember some street flooding and the depressed unloading area of the Post Office would occasionally flood but I don't remember any houses getting flooded.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2012, 08:38:24 pm »

OK. I understand.

Shadows freely admits to dropping out of school in the third grade, yet somehow he knows more about hydrology than all the civil engineers in the world.

All the world thinks they are either Mechanical or Civil Engineers.  Electrical, Chemical and Petroleum have enough magic to scare off the usual pretenders.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2012, 08:48:48 pm »

Hey now, what about me?

You can be those, too, if it will make you feel better.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
shadows
City Father

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2012, 08:49:29 pm »

Yes; three times.  ‘74 water in business building 17 inches, covering the seats of chairs.  City dug pork chop and I protested the placing of dirt in the flood corridor south of Pine. After PC was completed it increased 84” flood waters to 30” or the top of desks.  Protested and was told by Corps retention was being completed.  Flood of ’86 after PC was completed flood waters topped four draw file cabinets  at 42” after retention was installed.

When the water covered I44 in the wee hours in the morning I started hammering on doors warning people to leave and take their cars to higher grounds.  The waters rose at a rapid pace.  84’ flood water rose and fell in 3 hours.  86’ flood waters receded in six hours.  

Hydrology is not an exact science. An engineer an I sought a school that presented courses in hydrology.  At that time a civil engineer could call himself an hydrologist if he had a Monroe calculator.  When a cluster of thunderstorms stall over a drainage basin or change direction retracing their path, the absolute cubic feet of rainfall cannot be forecast until the storms dissipate.      

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2012, 08:52:21 pm »

All the world thinks they are either Mechanical or Civil Engineers.  Electrical, Chemical and Petroleum have enough magic to scare off the usual pretenders.

Didn't we talk about that once before - there really are only two kinds of engineers - Mechanical and Electrical.  All the rest are derivatives, with the possible exception of Chemical.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2012, 09:09:58 pm »

Didn't we talk about that once before - there really are only two kinds of engineers - Mechanical and Electrical.  All the rest are derivatives, with the possible exception of Chemical.

Yeah and the difference between Electrical and Mechanical is mostly the names of the variables in the same equations.

shadows
City Father

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2012, 09:12:54 pm »

OK. I understand.

Bless his heart he is intoxicated with the pink gas that he goes to city hall to inhale every day so he can see the world as if through rose colored glasses.  There surely some kind of shots he can take to cure the addiction.  It could be also he smells those recyclable liquor bottles he collects.   

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2012, 09:15:56 pm »

It could be also he smells those recyclable liquor bottles he collects.   

There are a LOT more beer bottles in the recycling bins than liquor bottles.  At least there are at the Bixby site.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2012, 09:24:35 pm »

Yeah and the difference between Electrical and Mechanical is mostly the names of the variables in the same equations.

Exactly.

And where are these is these $1 industrial facilities?  I would love to have one to move my manufacturing to, and would go ahead and buy flood insurance and just not worry about it.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2012, 09:48:46 pm »

I would love to have one to move my manufacturing to, and would go ahead and buy flood insurance and just not worry about it.

That might be economically correct at your level but in the big scheme of things it only raises the cost for the rest of us.

I consider that to be like not using the manual extension on the landing gear of my airplane when the regular electric motor doesn't work.  What the heck, the insurance will pay for it.   Actually, they would investigate and probably deny my claim if they decided I didn't do everything possible.

Your statement also reminds of an old joke about 3 business men on the beach in Miami.  The first one said his business had been ruined by a huge fire but the insurance covered it.  The second one related a similar experience.  The third guy said his business was ruined by a flood.  The first guy asked,  "How do you start a flood?"

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2012, 10:42:33 pm »

Bless his heart he is intoxicated with the pink gas that he goes to city hall to inhale every day so he can see the world as if through rose colored glasses.  There surely some kind of shots he can take to cure the addiction.  It could be also he smells those recyclable liquor bottles he collects.   

So do tell, what education do you have that qualifies you to know more about engineering than those who not only completed elementary but went on to get a college education? 
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2012, 05:02:51 am »

So do tell, what education do you have that qualifies you to know more about engineering than those who not only completed elementary but went on to get a college education? 

He knows how to cipher?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org