A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 01:18:00 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KTUL bails on Tulsa  (Read 11947 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: November 09, 2023, 04:50:30 pm »

"Beginning December 11 we will be making changes to the way we produce news in Tulsa and refocusing our resources, establishing a regional content center to super serve the Tulsa and Oklahoma City television markets," KTUL said in a statement. "This will allow hyperlocal news and weather content from both markets, as well as regional content, to be included in every newscast."

Im guessing whoever wrote that gush will not be moving to OKC...

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/tulsas-ktul-channel-8-moving-news-production-to-oklahoma-city/article_d4298c30-7f44-11ee-a9a5-4747bab26bfa.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2023, 08:30:43 pm »

"Beginning December 11 we will be making changes to the way we produce news in Tulsa and refocusing our resources, establishing a regional content center to super serve the Tulsa and Oklahoma City television markets," KTUL said in a statement. "This will allow hyperlocal news and weather content from both markets, as well as regional content, to be included in every newscast."

Im guessing whoever wrote that gush will not be moving to OKC...

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/tulsas-ktul-channel-8-moving-news-production-to-oklahoma-city/article_d4298c30-7f44-11ee-a9a5-4747bab26bfa.html

Sinclair is a leach. Hopefully they go broke with this and have to sell KTUL.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2023, 10:12:07 pm »

Sinclair is a leach. Hopefully they go broke with this and have to sell KTUL.

Maybe they already are going broke.

Looks like Dan Threlkeld retired just in time.

I guess we'll see what happens to the other Tulsa crew.  It's probably not good.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2023, 06:39:04 pm »

Maybe they already are going broke.

Looks like Dan Threlkeld retired just in time.

I guess we'll see what happens to the other Tulsa crew.  It's probably not good.

Maybe whoever writes dreck like this stays behind:

Tulsa police pull over McLaren driver for hitting jetliner speeds on highway

(real story from KTUL)

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2023, 09:40:23 pm »

KTU-  who?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2023, 10:14:15 pm »

KTU-  who?

Well, KTUL is also the identifier for Tulsa International Airport.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2023, 10:30:11 pm »

Maybe whoever writes dreck like this stays behind:
Tulsa police pull over McLaren driver for hitting jetliner speeds on highway
(real story from KTUL)

Maybe take-off or landing speeds for the jetliner.   Grin 

Looks like a lot of McLaren cars can top 200 mph but it doesn't take a jet to go that fast.  Turboprop planes and even some high performance piston planes can go that fast.

https://www.encycarpedia.com/top/fastest-mclarens

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2023, 11:12:37 am »

Maybe take-off or landing speeds for the jetliner.   Grin 

Looks like a lot of McLaren cars can top 200 mph but it doesn't take a jet to go that fast.  Turboprop planes and even some high performance piston planes can go that fast.

https://www.encycarpedia.com/top/fastest-mclarens

Looks like a McLaren 720S. There are two types of McLaren owners, those that haven't crashed, and those that have. And most of the time the driver runs out of talent long before they run out of money.

And it's not just McLaren's that can achieve 150+MPH, you can get a Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger that will easily achieve that off the showroom floor. Add some tuning from a laptop and you can get more than 170 MPH out of them.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2023, 12:06:04 pm »

Looks like a McLaren 720S. There are two types of McLaren owners, those that haven't crashed, and those that have. And most of the time the driver runs out of talent long before they run out of money.
And it's not just McLaren's that can achieve 150+MPH, you can get a Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger that will easily achieve that off the showroom floor. Add some tuning from a laptop and you can get more than 170 MPH out of them.

I caught the tail end of a spot on that this AM on Ch8.  Looks like they got him for a mere 147 mph.   Grin

More $ than talent also appears in airplanes and probably anything else that moves.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2023, 05:23:53 pm »

I caught the tail end of a spot on that this AM on Ch8.  Looks like they got him for a mere 147 mph.   Grin

More $ than talent also appears in airplanes and probably anything else that moves.

In aviation isn't it there are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are very few old bold pilots?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2023, 12:13:30 am »

In aviation isn't it there are old pilots and there are bold pilots but there are very few old bold pilots?

Very similar but not quite the same.

I consider bold pilots the aviation equivalent of "hold my beer and watch this".

There are also pilots whose proficiency is just not up to an otherwise acceptable task.  Mostly this involves weather and a lack of recent experience in a particular plane.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2023, 11:38:11 am »

I had no idea about that.    I watch KTUL from time to time - it is good "sanity check" on channel 6 weather.  Travis gets a little wound up, so was good to watch them for a more stable view.   Overall, don't watch much of the locals, except PBS, though.  Not much they have that is of interest to us.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2023, 08:20:51 pm »

Its the identifier for the National Weather Service there, the actual IATA 3-Letter Code of Airports for Tulsa International is TUL.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2023, 09:05:59 pm »

Its the identifier for the National Weather Service there, the actual IATA 3-Letter Code of Airports for Tulsa International is TUL.

The National Weather Service office is in east Tulsa, not the airport.

- Boy and Girl Scout tours there over the years.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2023, 02:34:27 am »

There are 2 major sets of codes for airports. 3 letter IATA and 4 letter ICAO.  I'm pretty sure your luggage will only indicate TUL but I haven't traveled on commercial airlines for quite a while so I just don't remember the actual tag.  As a private pilot, I deal more with the ICAO codes than the IATA codes.  There are also codes for smaller airports that are a combination of 3 or 4 letters and numbers.  There are other confusing things that are beyond the scope of this post.

If you plug TUL into your aviation GPS it will take you to the Tulsa VORTAC (radio navigation aid) approximately 5 miles east of the airport.  I don't know about automotive GPS codes.

Putting TUL in the Airports tab of Airnav will get converted to KTUL and take you to Tulsa International Airport with "KTUL" immediately to the left. https://www.airnav.com/airport/KTUL

Putting TUL in the Navaids tab of Airnav will get you to the information for the VORTAC. Unfortunately, the link doesn't remember the individual entry as it does for the airport.
https://www.airnav.com/cgi-bin/navaid-info

TUL or KTUL in Google Maps gives some choices with the airport showing up in both.

Browse airports by either IATA or ICAO here:
https://airportcodes.aero

ICAO
The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO /ˌaɪˈkeɪˌoʊ/ eye-KAY-oh) is a specialized agency of the United Nations that coordinates the principles and techniques of international air navigation, and fosters the planning and development of international air transport to ensure safe and orderly growth.[2] The ICAO headquarters are located in the Quartier International of Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Civil_Aviation_Organization

IATA
The International Air Transport Association (IATA /aɪˈɑːtə/) is a trade association of the world's airlines founded in 1945. IATA has been described as a cartel since, in addition to setting technical standards for airlines, IATA also organized tariff conferences that served as a forum for price fixing.[4][5]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Air_Transport_Association

Enjoy...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org