A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:55:42 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: State Sen. Rice Proposing High Point Beer & Wine Sales In Grocery Stores  (Read 70132 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« on: February 10, 2010, 02:34:34 pm »

Thanks to TURoby who scooped this off Sen. Andrew Rice's Facebook page.  I don't see this as anything but good news.

"From Senator Andrew Rice: “My pieces of legislation, SJR62 and SB2205, would make it legal for wine and high point beer to be sold in grocery stores in Oklahoma County and Tulsa County only. If you are in favor of it, please call or email your legislators and tell them. It is an economic development issue.”
Please help support this legislation contact your representatives and voice your support via phone call and email."

Full text of the bill at this link:

http://randyburleson.wordpress.com/2010/02/10/28/

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 02:48:44 pm »

I realize that one argument against this would be that it would hurt "mom and pop" package stores. But I would like to pre-emptively counter this by pointing out that liquor stores still have the ability to compete based on price, service, and variety of product against supermarkets.

Additionally, Oklahoma has been bypassed by certain grocers, and one of the reasons often given is that fact that we do not allow wine sales in grocery stores.

---Robert
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 02:54:12 pm »

I realize that one argument against this would be that it would hurt "mom and pop" package stores. But I would like to pre-emptively counter this by pointing out that liquor stores still have the ability to compete based on price, service, and variety of product against supermarkets.

Additionally, Oklahoma has been bypassed by certain grocers, and one of the reasons often given is that fact that we do not allow wine sales in grocery stores.

Good points.  Thanks for picking this up on FB and posting.  I've already emailed my Senator and Representative.  Who wants to email Sally Kern? Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 03:32:18 pm »

Good points.  Thanks for picking this up on FB and posting.  I've already emailed my Senator and Representative.  Who wants to email Sally Kern? Wink

Hmm...Marshall's at the WalMart Family market?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 03:35:19 pm »

I'd love to see Sam's with an extensive liquor selection like they have in Texas and other states.

Could be a problem to get passed though because apparently these beverages also contain a higher concentration of the devil!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
brianh
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 04:50:49 pm »

I emailed my representatives, would love to buy cold beer. Maybe we can finally get a full isle that is just completely beer.
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 06:39:59 pm »

It's a great idea, but has little to no chance of passing thanks to the Party of No being in charge of the Sooner State.  It's pretty bad when Arkansas has more rational liquor laws.  Arkansas: Making Oklahoma look progressive since 1836.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 08:21:26 pm »

Arkansas: Making Oklahoma look progressive since 1836.

Please explain Bill Clinton.

brianh
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 08:26:04 am »

It's a great idea, but has little to no chance of passing thanks to the Party of No being in charge of the Sooner State.  It's pretty bad when Arkansas has more rational liquor laws.  Arkansas: Making Oklahoma look progressive since 1836.

Could be worse, we could be Texas.  Every time I go there, I have to ask the locals where I can find the nearest non dry county. It probably makes me sound like a wino, but damn I just want to enjoy a cold beer or two in the comfort of my hotel room while I watch Chuck.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 09:05:59 am »

...thanks to the Party of No being in charge of the Sooner State.... 

Chiche' alert!

dbacks fan
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 09:13:08 am »

If Oklahoma had more reasonable liquor laws you could possibly have a place like this http://www.totalwine.com/ they actually have lower prices on spirits than the grocery stores and even Sam's and Costco. But it will probably never happen since all of the mom and pop stores would scream foul and the most vocal person would be Fred Parkhill.
brianh
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 09:24:04 am »

They need to add refrigeration for liquor stores into this bill. Dissolve the ABLE Commission.
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 11:06:47 am »

I was actually just going through legislation after hearing about another bill to legalize home beer brewing and came across this.

Also of note: HJR1062 would allow breweries (Marshall's) to sell beer on the premise.

I'm assuming none of these proposals have any effect on Oklahoma's low-point beer laws?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 11:15:59 am by Nik » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 11:21:13 am »

I was actually just going through legislation after hearing about another bill to legalize home beer brewing and came across this.

Also of note: HJR1062 would allow breweries (Marshall's) to sell beer on the premise.

I'm assuming none of these proposals have any effect on Oklahoma's low-point beer laws?

Probably not because some bureaucrat(s) is(are) getting greased by the beer and liquor distributors.

brianh
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 11:34:00 am »

I'm going to watch everyone who votes no on these things and maybe call them all out in some other public venue somewhere.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org