A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 12:13:14 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brown Recluses  (Read 7233 times)
Chicken Little
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 03:05:40 pm »

Doubt it, unless your pet is a fish.  Spray-on flea sprays are very similar in ingredients and concentration, and those go right on the dog.  Cats are more sensitive, but then, you're spraying the house and not the cat.

You might broadcast it up in the attic and around the house, then just hit the cracks and crannies, baseboards within the house.  Whatever the instructions allow.
Chicken Little
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2007, 03:07:05 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Rowdy

Couldn't order from this site for some reason so went over to doyourownpestcontrol.com and it was cheaper and with free shipping.  I ordered DELTA DUST to put in the attic and SUSPEND SC for the spray. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.  The total was only 64.00 which included a duster to spread the dust with.  

RECLUSES MUST DIE NOW!   [}:)]

There you go.  Best of luck.  Let us know how it goes.
LeftOCenter
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 05:26:08 am »

I have worked at a manufacturing company in Tulsa for many years. In the spring Recluces are always a big issue. I called the Pro's a few years back and they didn't advice spraying for these little guys because it does kill the bugs that feed on the Recluce. We go ahead and spray anyway to keep out the roaches and other intruders. But they adviced putting out sticky traps. It seems to work. I have a lot of facility to cover, but a place them in all the places that I think a Recluse might hide. They are pretty inexpensive. Before I was getting at least one spider bite a year. Since then I have not had any and when I pick up the trap it always has a spider or few in it. Treat your yard as well as your home. Remember they are a Recluse. They don't like activity, so treat in those areas with the traps. A good dusting and spring cleaning help and a good Cat helps too if you can put up with the litter box.
Rowdy
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2007, 05:52:12 am »

quote:
Originally posted by LeftOCenter

I have worked at a manufacturing company in Tulsa for many years. In the spring Recluces are always a big issue. I called the Pro's a few years back and they didn't advice spraying for these little guys because it does kill the bugs that feed on the Recluce. We go ahead and spray anyway to keep out the roaches and other intruders. But they adviced putting out sticky traps. It seems to work. I have a lot of facility to cover, but a place them in all the places that I think a Recluse might hide. They are pretty inexpensive. Before I was getting at least one spider bite a year. Since then I have not had any and when I pick up the trap it always has a spider or few in it. Treat your yard as well as your home. Remember they are a Recluse. They don't like activity, so treat in those areas with the traps. A good dusting and spring cleaning help and a good Cat helps too if you can put up with the litter box.

Thanks for your input.  I don't believe the bugs that eat Recluses are here in my home or they are on vacation because I have had too many Recluses.
I do have glue traps along the baseboards, behind the couch and other places as well and I have yet to find one.  Hopefully the fogging helped some and the ones I saw after the fogging were pushed out of their "home".  I had doubts about foggers killing Recluses, but I have seen them personally dead in my home after a good bombing.  This still doesn't kill the ones that are buried somewhere away from the aerosol.

My Recluse poison should arrive today or tomorrow and my attic will be the Killing Fields for the spiders of evil.
tulsacyclist
Civic Leader

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2007, 07:34:17 am »

Awesome, I'm interested to know how your spider slaying goes.

Chicken Little
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2007, 01:27:59 pm »

Rowdy,

Here's a glue trap calculator, with instructions on where to place them to trap the maximum number of BR's.

http://www.brown-recluse.com/traps.html

Get 'em, boy!
Rowdy
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2007, 01:36:27 pm »

Ah, you are quite the valuable one Chicken Little.  I have adjusted a few of my traps accordingly-thanks.
Rowdy
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2007, 11:54:28 am »

We now break regularly-scheduled programming to bring you a Special News Bulletin:

I received the powder and liquid insecticide.  I bought a duster instrument that disperses the powder.  It is a simple model that you fill with the killer powder and simply squeeze and the powder disperses in a nice spread radius. I put on a long sleeve shirt, pants, disposable gloves and face mask (no not of the Friday the 13th variety).

I stepped into the attic and started from the far end and worked my way back to the entrance by dusting the entire surface of the attic. This product dispersed well and I only had to use approximately 2-3 cups. After I was done, I was careful about leaving any residue anywhere once I came back down from the attic.

Apparently when you get this stuff in contact with your skin, it will leave a tingling/burning sensation. I can vouch for that![B)] I was extremely sweaty and used my shirt sleeve to wipe my forehead and I guess I had some remnant of the powder on my sleeve because my forehead felt a little like what the MSDS sheets state.  I took off the shirt and tossed it in the trash just to be safe.

Now, it was on to the liquid stuff. After mixing this product with water, I found that it has the consistency of Aunt Jemima (she would have been proud). I guess this gives this product a good residual by being resistant to water/rain. I sprayed around parts of the garage and water heater as well as the furnace area.  I also sprayed the threshold of my side door going into my backyard from the garage. I took the sprayer in the house to attempt to spray a few baseboards but found that my sprayer needs to be replaced simply due to the fact that the product does not come out fine enough for me.

I have seen Pest Control people spray before and the pesticide comes out where it dampens the sprayed area but not create run-off.  I will attempt to spray the interior when I replace the sprayer.  Both insecticides left almost ZERO smell whatsoever. This would mean be careful where you spray it because you cannot go by smell. Other than that, I have not seen ONE insect or spider of any kind since the second attack.

The enemy was strong but I believe it is convinced it is going to be a losing battle. The first attack was a nice aerial attack which turned out to be the equivalent of dropping leaflets over their "home" warning that this type of behavior walking around my home would not be tolerated.  The powder attack was extremely lethal and I think I almost heard many spiders scream in anguish and fear as their "homes" were being pillaged and "burned".

I believe I can taste victory on my tongue now (or is that the pesticide) after such a brutal battle with 2x4s and insulation serving as the background for such arachnid atrocities. I think I am fine and unscathed by my own weaponry as the only simptoms of pestiside poyzening is a tingline sensashun and bad spelling.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2007, 12:40:57 pm »

I am worried for you Rowdy.

Don't you realize that they are just regrouping and planning for a sneak attack after you retire for the night?

I would not sleep for a few days if I were you. Make some coffee, get your weapons reloaded and be very afraid.

Power is nothing till you use it.
jdb
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2007, 02:28:20 pm »

Excellent report, soldier.

Johnboy976
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2007, 12:10:51 am »

It appears that these little suckers are rampant in South Tulsa. There was not a single house that my parents moved into that didn't have a brown recluse problem at one point or another.
Chicken Little
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2007, 09:33:58 am »

Sounds like they are in their last throes.
Rowdy
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2007, 06:34:58 am »

All is eerily quiet still.  I am starting to relax when going to bed and not find Freddy Krueger of the Arachnid world lurking under my 400 count sheets.  I think I may be eeking out joy now.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org