A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 01:09:34 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 46   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vision 2025...Part 2?  (Read 249053 times)
SXSW
City Father

« on: November 30, 2009, 09:24:08 pm »

I've been hearing a lot about OKC's MAPS 3 that the public is voting on Dec. 8 and wonder when Tulsa will do something to complement the original Vision 2025.  What should be included?  I personally think river development, like what was proposed with the failed river plan, should be a big part along with the downtown streetcar line.

FOTD
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 10:26:33 pm »

I've been hearing a lot about OKC's MAPS 3 that the public is voting on Dec. 8 and wonder when Tulsa will do something to complement the original Vision 2025.  What should be included?  I personally think river development, like what was proposed with the failed river plan, should be a big part along with the downtown streetcar line.

More taxes? Education comes first. Who wants to be like OKShitty?

* AWW GEEZ.jpg (15.47 KB - downloaded 1040 times.)
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 10:36:16 pm »

Probably around 2016.  That's when the V2025 tax will expire.  It's also when a significant amount of street work will be complete, the development in the area surrounding the ballpark should have taken off, and the arts projects in the Brady will come online.  It's going to be at least that long because of the ill will that the handling of the ballpark project has engendered--it'll be a while before that dissipates.  

I'd make education and infrastructure the priorities.  Schools, sidewalks, parks, boulevards and canals.  And housing--I'd say an expanded version of the Vision 2025 housing fund, to focus on the entire core of the city rather than only in the IDL, would contribute toward continued infill in areas like the Pearl, Uptown and Whittier Square.  And of course, continued downtown housing projects.
OurTulsa
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 11:09:16 pm »

I don't know if it's too early to start talking about Vision 2025 Part 2 or not but it's certainly fun to dream.  The first question in my mind is: will it be a regional or local effort this time around?  

In any case I hope many of the Tulsa projects are those that implement the vision established in PlaniTulsa.  My wish list would be urban oriented including elements like:
  • re-enforcing the downtown housing fund
  • a new library/children's museum/plaza on the east side of downtown (Nordam site) or how about around Veterans Park - and set aside land for a concert hall for the TSO on that same plaza
  • context sensitive redevelopments of some of our more urban arterial streets as well as some context sensitive expansions of our further out arterials that have not yet experienced heavy commercialization or those that are primarily lined with residential subs
  • local support for the State school for performing arts in or very near the Brady District
  • build an underground parking facility on the surface lot east of the PAC and SE of City Hall and lease the surface for private development - use the excavated ground to build a monument hill up in Brady Hgts upon which we can erect a statue of George K.
  • fixed rail or very well established rubber tire transit downtown connecting Veterans Park cultural center (as provided above) with TCC, downtown, Brady Dist, OSU-Tulsa and Brady Hgts
  • I think investing in universities as well as K-12 education can't be a bad thing for long-term Tulsa - even if partering with a private TU
  • Do something about the pending quiet zone downtown and extend it outside the IDL
    « Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 12:06:46 am by OurTulsa » Logged
    Conan71
    Recovering Republican
    T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 07:48:35 am »

FOTD- OKC included schools in either MAPS I or II, they've upgraded a lot of facilities.  Still doesn't improve the quality of education, but man, they got some nice school buildings to continue the status quo.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
    OpenYourEyesTulsa
    Civic Leader

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 10:42:34 am »

Tulsa needs to learn how to sell it to the voters before doing anything or else it is a waste of time.

I would like to see more funding to stimulate projects similar to the Mayo Hotel.  Maybe they can get someone to do something with the old Tulsa Club building. 
    patric
    T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 11:09:51 am »

Vision2025 paid municipalities to tear out their streetlights and replace them with those junk Acorn lights, and left them to figure out how to pay the much, much higher electric bill.  No wonder the Utilities were so generous with their V2025 campaign support.

Much like a heroin dealer giving out free samples.  A little investment goes a long way.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
    okcpulse
    Civic Leader

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 10:07:34 am »

More taxes? Education comes first. Who wants to be like OKShitty?

OKC just wrapped up the $700 million MAPS for Kids project, so technically, education did come first.  And, BTW, tax rates won't change.  But you can continue your hatred for OKC if it makes you feel better.

I am personally proud of OKC's and Tulsa's progress each time I make a trek to Oklahoma from here in Hellston.

spartanokc
    OKC Nag
    Citizen

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 01:26:22 am »

^ Houston/"Hellston" > OKC/Tulsa

SXSW
    City Father

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 11:34:02 am »

I thought I heard where Vision 2025 will officially end in 2016 (13 years from passage in 2003) and then it will be up to the voters to renew it.  Vision 2025, is that correct?  If so we have 5 years to discuss (and debate) what should and shouldn't be included.  It should be fun for all.   Smiley

Townsend
    T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 01:27:34 pm »

I thought I heard where Vision 2025 will officially end in 2016 (13 years from passage in 2003) and then it will be up to the voters to renew it.  Vision 2025, is that correct?  If so we have 5 years to discuss (and debate) what should and shouldn't be included.  It should be fun for all.   Smiley

Good idea.  OK, who's gonna pull the first worm out?
    RecycleMichael
    truth teller
    T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 03:18:22 pm »

I got a plan to build three islands in the river...

Power is nothing till you use it.
    carltonplace
    Historic Artifact
    City Father

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 03:24:53 pm »

I seriously doubt that a county wide vote to increase taxes will be successful anytime in the near future. This is even harder to sell since our last streets package keeps the V2025 tax rate going after it expires.
    custosnox
    Fly in the Ointment
    City Father

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 09:10:12 pm »

I got a plan to build three islands in the river...
    I wanna divert the river away from tulsa because it is so toxic, fill in the bed and put in lots and lots of surface parking.
    SXSW
    City Father

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 09:25:25 pm »

I seriously doubt that a county wide vote to increase taxes will be successful anytime in the near future. This is even harder to sell since our last streets package keeps the V2025 tax rate going after it expires.

A citywide vote then?  That is how the river tax should've been done, as it won in Tulsa itself but not in the rest of the county.  I would hope the next project is more transit-oriented.  If marketed correctly it will pass.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 46   Go Up
      Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
    more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
    Tulsa, OK 74114
    (918) 409-2669
    info@tulsanow.org