A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:57:30 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pole Artist  (Read 3399 times)
breitee
« on: March 31, 2008, 07:53:42 am »

That pole artist was a jerk.

If you want to discuss him, start a new thread and I will give you my opinion.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 08:15:15 am »

I was at the Arts Commission meeting where RiverParks and the artist spoke. RiverParks is doing lots of park enhancements and needs to move the poles.

The artist still owns the poles, but Riverparks owns the land. Riverparks officials politely said they wanted to move the art somewhere else and would pay all costs, including takedown, transportation, and re-install anywhere in Tulsa County.

The artist said they can't because he "gave" them the art. There is no record of RiverParks recieving this gift. The artist then said he didn't want to move them because the apartments across the street had so protested them years ago. He said moving them would be giving them a victory.

I am all for modern art, but Riverparks has been very generous and this guy has been a jerk.

I say, knock them over, throw them away, and send the guy a bill for the disposal costs.

Power is nothing till you use it.
inteller
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 08:21:56 am »

well at least he was honest in his intentions.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 08:28:25 am »

This guy really loves his pole.
waterboy
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 08:36:16 am »

The World ran a story last week detailing the efforts of the River Parks Authority to rid the paths of art they didn't like. Maybe someone with more time could post the link. This art dates to the late 70's when the park was improved from the lowater dam up to the 11th street bridge. You might remember the telephone poles that were wrapped with rope, the similar plastic tubes and a metal cube sitting on its corner. They were sitting around 15th & Riverside next to the path.

Well the RPA and the Kaiser committee that is overseeing the funds that the foundation gave to improve the paths, has decided that certain art is simply not acceptable. A local artist who did the poles objected to his art being removed and Matt Meyer, RPA director, at first said the poles were in the way of the new and improved path. When it was pointed out that they were at least 10ft away he then admitted that they just didn't want the art and offered to move it over to the West Bank. (Where apparently bad art is acceptable). No mention was made of the metal cube's final destination.

The artist, Pershall, feels his contribution to river development should stay put and, like any good artist, pretty much sounded like a jerk. In my estimation the RPA and Kaiser group matched him on that scale. Also, many of the benches, plaques, shrubbery and other dedicated gifts to RPA within the last 30 years are being removed according to RPA. All without telling anyone until Pershall made a scene of it all.

The Kaiser group apparently likes the bronze sculptures donated by the Wildlife Conservation people. The ones of animals that don't reside anywhere near the river or the geographic area. Wolves, bears, buffaloe etc. But to them that's acceptable art.

I get the feeling from reading the article and experiencing the new path so far, that some people,(who don't even live near the river or run on the paths) are pretty sure they know what's best for the rest of us. They eliminated the cross country paths and the crushed rock paths replacing them with hard asphalt. Great for biking, awful for feet, ankles, shins and knees. Its like they think its their personal park.

Shall we rename it ala OKC and call it the Kaiser River Parks?

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 08:40:35 am by waterboy » Logged
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 08:40:24 am »

Yea sounds a bit upset about the matter. I would say use this as an opportunity to find an even better spot for them.

As for "art" in general along the river.  At this point in time its apparent we need an over all plan for the river in many regards.

Some areas should be long range set aside as higher density available for commercial and retail development, also "high density" park and "low density" park (will give examples later), some as nature preserves. Something for everyone of every stripe to enjoy. Once you have those general areas mapped out then you can also begin to make those areas look distinct.

A park like area, say like the one around the pedestrian bridge and fountain would be a great location for more modern lighting,(an example of "high density park" lots of manmade stuff but not lots of retail etc. perhaps 1 cafe) This would also be a great area for several examples of modern art.

Rather than have a moose, then a pole, then a tiger, then a lady, then some pointy metal thing,,, brick sidewalks here, then cement, then this landscaping, then another, old timey lights, contemporary lights, large cement structure, cute wooden gazebo, modern bench, old timey bench.... all within one area and nothing together that matches.  Make large sections of the park have more of a cohesive look. Its just kind of evolved without much thought up until this time and the park has turned into a jumbled mess. Everyone wants to donate and do something but the average person just often doesnt think to think about that type of thing. Its time we put some thought into this and had an over all plan.

Certain styles or pieces of art, lighting, styles of fountains, retaining walls, trails, landscaping, etc... will be more appropriate in some locations than others.  I know, here I go again with liking areas that have "themes" versus whatever style ya want wherever you want it. But in this instance I really do think it would be simplest and best to have an over all plan for what areas are what and then it will become apparent, hopefully, as to what art, etc. would look best in those areas.

I would like to see the "pole art" go over by the other modern art by the pedestrian bridge. There are already several modern art pieces over there and I think having them together makes the collection so much more enjoyable. If there are any animal sculptures in that area,  move them to another location.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 08:49:37 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 08:50:06 am »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

The World ran a story last week detailing the efforts of the River Parks Authority to rid the paths of art they didn't like. Maybe someone with more time could post the link.

Because you asked so nicely:  [Tongue]
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080314_1_A8_Watch52283
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 08:53:08 am »

Oops!  Pole fire!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
dsjeffries
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 10:00:48 am »

Speaking of lighting, artist, has anyone seen the new light fixtures that have been installed along the completed section of the new trails?!  They appear to be full-cutoff!

I haven't been by there at night, but I will get some pics soon.

I like the idea of having more cohesive areas of the RiverParks, and though I'm not sure where I stand on the issue of these poles, I think the RPA and GKFF are acting in our best interests.

If they weren't, I doubt they would offer to relocate them at any cost.
MichaelBates
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 12:45:56 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

I say, knock them over, throw them away, and send the guy a bill for the disposal costs.

Two words: Caber toss.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 12:59:27 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by dsjeffries

Speaking of lighting, artist, has anyone seen the new light fixtures that have been installed along the completed section of the new trails?!  They appear to be full-cutoff!

I haven't been by there at night, but I will get some pics soon.

I like the idea of having more cohesive areas of the RiverParks, and though I'm not sure where I stand on the issue of these poles, I think the RPA and GKFF are acting in our best interests.

I noticed the same thing. I'm wondering what the bulbs are since there isn't a very large housing. I hope for LED but doubt it will come true.
waterboy
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 02:32:37 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by dsjeffries
[
I'm not sure where I stand on the issue of these poles, I think the RPA and GKFF are acting in our best interests.

Why do you think that? It was only after they lied about the art being in the way of the path, then admitted it, that they offered under pressure of a newspaper story to move them to another location. Pershall is right about one thing- some of the most vociferous critics of anything happening along the river are the senior citizens living along Riverside drive near the poles. They complain about everything. Why should they have any more input than we do?

And if I was a west sider I would be incensed that art deemed not good enough for the east side of the river, would be fine over on the west bank. If the poles and the cube are too modern then take the pointy thing too and move them all over to the west side. Do you remember the huge flag on the west bank? Its gone too.

I heard Kaiser doesn't run the river banks anymore so he wouldn't notice the hard as rock pathway thats better for bikers than runners. And Patrick says these new lights provide the same glare as the old ones. So who's watching out for us?

I showed a great example last fall during the river tax vote of a method for public input for improvements and changes in public areas that they use on the Ft.Worth Trinity River project. It at least gives them plausable deniability that they are trying to meet the public's wants and interests.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org