A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 12:53:08 pm
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hobby Lobby or How I Chose God Over Country  (Read 105588 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2014, 11:54:21 pm »

Your link backs up my overall problem with internet memes and how a perception from those agenda-driven becomes fact to the ignorant.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #121 on: March 27, 2014, 07:02:47 am »

Your link backs up my overall problem with internet memes and how a perception from those agenda-driven becomes fact to the ignorant.

Agreed.   As long as we all realize that both sides are equally guilty of cherry-picking our sources to fit our opinions.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #122 on: March 28, 2014, 12:17:14 am »

Agreed.   As long as we all realize that both sides are equally guilty of cherry-picking our sources to fit our opinions.

Remember the title of this thread. Not exactly one where you need to look far for cherry-picked sources.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #123 on: March 28, 2014, 09:27:06 am »

Remember the title of this thread. Not exactly one where you need to look far for cherry-picked sources.

Yep.   Smiley

There was a great discussion on this topic on POTUS radio yesterday.   Rick Ungar was filling in for Smerconish.  Did a great job of taking all the emotion out of both sides, and focusing the discussion on the aspect of incorporation and how/if that creates a separation from individual religious protection.  It's nice to hear a (rare) level-headed discussion about an issue like this.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2014, 01:07:32 pm »

You simply have no idea what you are talking about. Repeating internet memes is no substitute for knowledge. Google "corporate personhood", research the court's view on the reasons why it exists and why corporations form, and get back to us in a few weeks. That is how long it should take you to understand the concept.

Oh,....puuuulllllleeeeeaaaaasssseeeee....!!!!

Internet memes is what Fox is all about - with not even an attempt at a substitute for knowledge.  Are you "Foxing" on us here??

The court's views on corporate person-hood go the 'hijacking' of those courts by a reactionary judicial that has redefined what the tool was meant to be - a corporation - for the use and benefit of society.  Peter Drucker IS the definitive authority on said tool, and he defined what it's uses and operations SHOULD be.  "Harvard School of Business" in the meantime for the last 30+ years has gone another direction - the direction defined by the hijackers of both Congress AND Corporate America.

It's kind of like when God said something about giving man dominion over the earth - but man promptly forgot that he was also charged with the social responsibility to act as steward of that earth....as in Genesis 1:28.... well "Harvard School of Business" has forgotten it's responsibility to the society that corporations were created to advance.  They were NOT created as just a tool for a handful of CEO's to get rich with - they WERE created for  the benefit of society as a whole.  But hey, when you can buy your own Congress....what the heck...go for it!!

See that pesky little admonition about "replenish the earth" below.  But they really ARE such small words, they cannot possibly have been meant by God to apply to US....!!  We have done everything commanded except for one!

Genesis - King James version.

28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2014, 08:01:07 am »

Hmmm......

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2014/04/01/Hobby-Lobby-invests-in-contraception-manufacturers/6221396380280/

Hypocrisy much?  Maybe not, since many companies do not know what mutual funds they're investing in for the company retirement portfolio.

However, this could come into play with the current SCOTUS case being heard.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2014, 11:48:09 am »

How's:

They also DID offer these benefits under their old plan.  They only dropped the coverage after deciding to sue:

http://m.motherjones.com/politics/2014/04/hobby-lobby-retirement-plan-invested-emergency-contraception-and-abortion-drug-makers

Just an excuse to be a fake martyr.  It was a non issue to their beliefs apperently until 2012...

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #127 on: April 17, 2014, 08:44:21 pm »

Now Hobby Lobby is sponsoring Bible Class in Oklahoma Public schools, after thwarting the regular process.  Surely the school will offer Hindu, Satanist, and Islam classes too.  What?  No?  The State is just teaching one religion on a Protestant bible?

The hell you say.  Its almost like the Greens just want THEIR beliefs enforced.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #128 on: April 17, 2014, 09:12:16 pm »

The hell you say.  Its almost like the Greens just want THEIR beliefs enforced.

Shocked I say, just shocked!  I would have never seen such a conclusion coming!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #129 on: May 22, 2014, 01:53:31 pm »

Hmm...and the plot thickens.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-news/20140521-oklahoma-school-board-members-met-privately-with-hobby-lobby-president-on-bible-class.ece

http://www.news9.com/story/25586839/ap-ok-school-board-discussed-bible-class-with-hobby-lobby-president

Love how they circumvented public meeting laws here.  Not really, but you get my point.  Why do that if they were afraid of some kind of consequence?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2014, 08:29:21 am »

BREAKING NEWS: High Court Rules in Hobby Lobby Case

http://publicradiotulsa.org/post/breaking-news-high-court-rules-hobby-lobby-case

WASHINGTON (AP) — Supreme Court says employers with religious objections can refuse to pay for contraception.

Modified:

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court says corporations can hold religious objections that allow them to opt out of the new health law requirement that they cover contraceptives for women.

The justices' 5-4 decision Monday is the first time that the high court has ruled that profit-seeking businesses can hold religious views under federal law. And it means the Obama administration must search for a different way of providing free contraception to women who are covered under objecting companies' health insurance plans.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 09:21:17 am by Townsend » Logged
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2014, 08:53:30 am »

Anybody surprised??

Given the reactionary judiciary we have in this country....(quote from an extremely RWRE acquaintance - he was talking about other rulings, but this also applies.)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
saintnicster
« Reply #132 on: June 30, 2014, 08:57:06 am »

Anybody surprised??
I wanted to be Cry
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #133 on: June 30, 2014, 09:49:39 am »

I'm waiting for Guido and the GOP to complain about activist judges granting for profit corporations religious beliefs, something that has never been done in the history of the world.  Think about it - a business entity formed for the purpose of making money while shielding owners from liability has religious beliefs and it can enforce those beliefs on others.

Hobby Lobby, Inc., has religious views that it can enforce against its employees and use to defeat federal law.  This is terrifying.  When the sovereign wealth fund of Dubai purchases another major american corporation, can it enforce Sharia law on employees, refuse to hire Jews, or not render taxes to the Great Satan on religious grounds?  Do corporations now have a fiduciary duty to shareholders to adopt the most profitable religion?  Can a for-profit corporation owned by a Muslim refuse to hire non-muslims?  Can religions that believe being black is the mark of Cain refuse to hire black people?

A new law was made today.  It will take a decade to really know what it means.  Must read opinion.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2014, 11:53:59 am »

I'm waiting for Guido and the GOP to complain about activist judges granting for profit corporations religious beliefs, something that has never been done in the history of the world.  Think about it - a business entity formed for the purpose of making money while shielding owners from liability has religious beliefs and it can enforce those beliefs on others.

Hobby Lobby, Inc., has religious views that it can enforce against its employees and use to defeat federal law.  This is terrifying.  When the sovereign wealth fund of Dubai purchases another major american corporation, can it enforce Sharia law on employees, refuse to hire Jews, or not render taxes to the Great Satan on religious grounds?  Do corporations now have a fiduciary duty to shareholders to adopt the most profitable religion?  Can a for-profit corporation owned by a Muslim refuse to hire non-muslims?  Can religions that believe being black is the mark of Cain refuse to hire black people?

A new law was made today.  It will take a decade to really know what it means.  Must read opinion.

Could be ironic if they did comment.... bet you didn't know there was an agenda to make the US into a theocracy, did ya?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org