A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 08:34:17 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TulsaNow Online Meth Lab Summet  (Read 12378 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« on: April 01, 2009, 03:40:35 pm »

Ok guys n' gals, I think we're smart enough to solve this.  We've had something like 53 meth lab fires resulting in millions and millions of dollars in damage, injuries, and death.

So. . . Lets look at some facts about meth?

1. $10 worth of ingredients yields hundreds of dollars worth of product.

2. The process is hazardous, but that makes it easy to identify.  People in these apartments when questioned said they smelled chemicals.

3. Most of the folks in communities friendly to meth are also willing to do just about anything for money.

4. Meth fires are expensive to the city and private property.

Need we go any further?

Possible Solution:

1.  Contact Oklahoma Outdoor Advertising or one of the other billboard companies and ask if they would like to get some free publicity by being part of the solution and donating some ad space.

2. Post (on billboards around town, perhaps between ads on the electronic billboards, or on vacant billboards) a reward of $3,000 for any tip leading to the discovery of a meth lab or the arrest of a meth cook.  $3,000 is a small investment if it eliminates hundreds of thousands of city dollars in emergency response or a host of other expenses. Perhaps a good Tulsa company like QuickTrip could donate the reward money.

3. Sit and wait by phone with a pen and notepad.

4. Take notepad with meth labs to Tulsa Police Meth Response team (or whatever it's called).

5. Visit meth labs.  "Knock, knock. . .CANDYGRAM!"

6. Arrest meth cooks, clean up hazard, distribute reward money, save lives, save property.

7. Paranoia (or at least more paranoia than normal) sets in, and meth cooks move out of Tulsa. 

More ideas?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 05:09:15 pm by Gaspar » Logged

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 07:59:01 pm »

You would have to assure the highest level of untraceable anonymity, otherwise someone might value their own life (fear of retaliation) more than the $3,000 offer to be a NARC.

I agree though, something must be done, it seems to be getting worse every day.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 08:23:06 pm »

You would have to assure the highest level of untraceable anonymity, otherwise someone might value their own life (fear of retaliation) more than the $3,000 offer to be a NARC.

I agree though, something must be done, it seems to be getting worse every day.

A big part of doing something is either getting a national policy regarding cold meds that mirrors Oklahoma's, since most of the bordering states don't have any (which is why the spike in meth labs in Tulsa, but not OKC because Missouri doesn't have the law and possibly Kansas also), or get the bordering states on board.  Right after the Oklahoma policy was enforced, the amount of labs went down drastically.  Now that they have figured out that they can drive 2 hours to Joplin they'll do so.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 09:37:20 pm »

Instead of $3,000 offer them a Big Screen, A Wii, and a 24 pack of Milwaukee's Best.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 07:24:14 am »

A big part of doing something is either getting a national policy regarding cold meds that mirrors Oklahoma's, since most of the bordering states don't have any (which is why the spike in meth labs in Tulsa, but not OKC because Missouri doesn't have the law and possibly Kansas also), or get the bordering states on board.  Right after the Oklahoma policy was enforced, the amount of labs went down drastically.  Now that they have figured out that they can drive 2 hours to Joplin they'll do so.

From what I have seen on the news,, they have now figured out a way to make meth that doesnt require cold meds. Its now even cheaper and quicker to make than ever,,, but more dangerous. Thats why we are once again seeing an uptick in use and in fires. Next idea....
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 07:26:05 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 07:42:36 am »

Good thoughts Gaspar.

As I understand it the "single bottle" method of cooking meth basically creates small bombs.  If you have the proportions wrong the bottle over pressurizes and explodes.  The sudden decompression causes the chemicals to reaction and heat up . . .  or so the internet has told me (perfectly open to correction).  If it is done "right," there should be little chemical odor.

One thing you have to be careful of in a NARC proposal is to not make it into the Gestapo.  A neighbor's anonymous tip for cash is probably NOT grounds to search an apartment.  Grounds to knock on the door and say something, perhaps.  Which might be enough to scare them off but won't get anyone reward money.

The method needs to reinforce the community, not create an "us vs. them" feel within it.  Perhaps the proposal as it stands would not be a problem.  But that would be my concern.

Also, if the very real potential of having a meth cook living next door and a good chance of having everything you own and your loved ones burned isn't incentive enough to report it, I have concerns that cash will help the problem much.  But I applaud the effort. I'll let you know IF I come up with something better.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 08:14:15 am »

So are the fires the result of this new "shake-n-bake" method of making it?

I never understood the point of taking something which would keep me "up" for days.  I enjoy sleep too much to do something that stupid.   

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 09:26:03 am »

A big part of doing something is either getting a national policy regarding cold meds that mirrors Oklahoma's
The last thing we need is to expand the war on sick people. I couldn't buy a pack of Sudafed and a bottle of Nyquil the other day. It pissed me off to no end.

I don't mind making the pharmacies keep the psuedoephedrine products behind the counter. I don't even mind purchase limits. I do mind the ridiculously low purchase limits we have here. I guess just hope your entire family doesn't get sick at once? And hope you don't get sick soon if you're kind enough to go buy somebody else some Sudafed because they're sick. (Phenylephrine is useless, IMO)

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 09:48:49 am »

The last thing we need is to expand the war on sick people. I couldn't buy a pack of Sudafed and a bottle of Nyquil the other day. It pissed me off to no end.

I don't mind making the pharmacies keep the psuedoephedrine products behind the counter. I don't even mind purchase limits. I do mind the ridiculously low purchase limits we have here. I guess just hope your entire family doesn't get sick at once? And hope you don't get sick soon if you're kind enough to go buy somebody else some Sudafed because they're sick. (Phenylephrine is useless, IMO)

I find it quite stupid that I can only by a 15 day pack of Claritin D every 30 days.  The limit should be raised to match some of the drugs 30 day limits.  I guess somebody needs to come up with a drug that uses human snot, then we can have our 30 days of allergy medication without having to get family members to go buy for you.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 10:14:40 am »

(Phenylephrine is useless, IMO)

FDA is looking into it to:

Pharmacists Leslie Hendeles and Randy Hatton of the University of Florida suggested in 2006 that oral phenylephrine is ineffective as a decongestant at the 10 mg dose used, claiming that six tests showed no significant difference between phenylephrine and placebo.

http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_FDA_Calls_for_New_Studies_of_Phenylephrine_Dosage_11846.html
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 11:16:06 am »

A big part of doing something is either getting a national policy regarding cold meds that mirrors Oklahoma's, since most of the bordering states don't have any (which is why the spike in meth labs in Tulsa, but not OKC because Missouri doesn't have the law and possibly Kansas also), or get the bordering states on board.  Right after the Oklahoma policy was enforced, the amount of labs went down drastically. 

Meth labs didnt go down drastically, meth "busts" did, and made it look like The War On Cold Medicine was the answer.  Now were beginning to suspect otherwise.

If we put just a fraction of these resources into drying up demand rather than supply we would see true, long-term results.  Right now were just going from photo-op to photo-op.

It's time to re-think drug laws, and not place the same (or more) effort on drugs that have no true detriment to society as ones that are racking up weekly death tolls. 
For instance, the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs is on record saying "more lives ruined by marijuana than any other drug" which seems very much out of touch with what we are seeing in real life.
This just keeps our resources running in circles, and feeding that $50 Billion Interdiction industry.

Before we can move forward, we have to get our priorities straight.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 11:19:09 am »

Agree! 

For some reason people think that restricting freedom solves problems. 
Never has, never will. 

Meth is illegal, and the manufacture of meth is illegal.  New laws restricting the common ingredients do little to stem the problem.

Several different chemicals can be used in the manufacture of the product, but they usually result in the same by products and aromas.  Heavy ammonia and hydroxide aromas (if you are not familiar with hydroxide aroma it is something like ivory soap multiplied 100 times).

Even the shake and bake method results in strong a strong ammonia smell, it's just not as strong as a ventilated lab creates.

Additionally, the cooks are usually users or surrounded by users, and meth-heads are very easy to spot, they are not very functional, and develop ticks and other outward signs of use.  It is probably the easiest abuse to spot in a person, very much like PCP.  Over time it burns out the brain's ability to produce Seritonin.  The user (when not under the influence) can be compared to the walking dead, or you and I after three days without sleep.  They also become very paranoid bordering on psychosis.

So, the manufacture is simple to spot, and the users are easy to identify, and neighbors are willing to turn them in for a reward, then we have a workable solution.

We need a good "shock and awe" series of busts to make the roaches scurry.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 11:23:01 am »

I guess somebody needs to come up with a drug that uses human snot, then we can have our 30 days of allergy medication without having to get family members to go buy for you.

Research has already begun.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 09:24:11 am »

I keep clicking on the thread thinking I'll learn how to build an online meth lab.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 11:15:41 am »

I keep clicking on the thread thinking I'll learn how to build an online meth lab.

Not surprising.  Your substance abuse issues are legendary.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org