A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 05:13:06 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any health issues with crematoriums?  (Read 2364 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: November 23, 2010, 12:19:51 pm »

The funeral home in the Bryn-Mawr neighborhood at 26th & Harvard wants to add a crematoria, and since the property is immediately east of residences, I have to ask if anyone is aware of any health issues this might pose.
There are also several restaurants south of this location, but I havent heard them raise any concerns yet.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 12:44:10 pm »

Lol...Health Issues...Like what....From under cooked meat or something..... Huh

YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 01:19:41 pm »

I wouldn't worry too much unless the Village Inn shuts down and reopens as the Soylent Green Cafe.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 01:28:34 pm »

Theater of the Macabre, opening night tonight!

Love it!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 01:37:50 pm »

The answer is depends. What kind of furnace and what kind of smokestack?

If the furnace burns at 1,800 degrees or more, most of the problems are minimal. There have been odor complaints with the old furnaces.

Mercury is released from the dental fillings and that is always a concern. The amount is only about a pound per 1,000 bodies, but any exposure to mercury can be dangerous, especially for pregnant women.

I would say that if they have a new state-of-the-art furnace and a reasonable emissions plan, they wouldn't worry me. That being said, many more people are choosing to be cremated. This facility might end up burning thousands of bodies per year. The traffic alone from that much business might become a problem.

Power is nothing till you use it.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 01:41:36 pm »

There are thousands of bodies worth of mercury coming out the pipes of the coal fired plants around the area - think Oologah!

Don't think this would amount to anything worth worrying about.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 02:39:30 pm »

Only if you climb in it and turn it on.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 03:02:24 pm »

That could be awkward.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org