A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 11:47:48 pm
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shotgun Sams  (Read 192010 times)
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #270 on: October 06, 2014, 10:25:22 am »

I'm thinking it's just a matter of time before his wife lets him come back to what seems to be a successful business (In her name) Knotty Pine in Broken Arrow. She'd be nuts to let that cluster f*uck back to ruin what she saved by getting rid of him. Ahh Love.... Roll Eyes

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #271 on: October 06, 2014, 11:41:33 am »

Went driving down south Memorial over the weekend looking for something decent to eat (ended up at Hideaway - good but they messed up the order and it took over 45 minutes to get the pizza).  But did see that Top That Pizza is gone!  Not sure if they moved or just went away....

Haven't been to that one in over a year, but the last time I went to BA store was a couple months ago.  Sliding fast!  Both had a moment a little over a year ago when they suddenly changed - the food just didn't taste the same - kind of the same thing Schlotsky's did with their bread....no idea what they did, but it is different now.  In particular the mozzarella cheese....this is sadness to me!  I love making my own pizza!!

And they used that goofy soft drink machine that never gets the flavor right!!  

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #272 on: October 06, 2014, 11:47:04 am »

...kind of the same thing Schlotsky's did with their bread....no idea what they did, but it is different now.

I glad it isn't just me!  My daughter is a super-picky eater.  Hates hamburgers, etc.   The other day I took her to the Schlotsky's on 41st.  She actually liked it, but I hadn't been to a Schlotsky's in years and was really disappointed in the bread.  Not sure exactly what is different, but it's just not as good as I remember it.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #273 on: October 06, 2014, 11:58:18 am »

I glad it isn't just me!  My daughter is a super-picky eater.  Hates hamburgers, etc.   The other day I took her to the Schlotsky's on 41st.  She actually liked it, but I hadn't been to a Schlotsky's in years and was really disappointed in the bread.  Not sure exactly what is different, but it's just not as good as I remember it.

I made comment over a year ago about it - can't remember when, but it's rattling around here somewhere - and many can't seem to tell the difference, but I started eating their sandwiches in Dallas back in the 70's and was happy when they finally came to town.  Then flopped and left for many years.  And then came back again much later....

It is NOT the same bread.

But they got Cinnabon!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #274 on: October 06, 2014, 01:11:03 pm »

I made comment over a year ago about it - can't remember when, but it's rattling around here somewhere - and many can't seem to tell the difference, but I started eating their sandwiches in Dallas back in the 70's and was happy when they finally came to town.  Then flopped and left for many years.  And then came back again much later....

It is NOT the same bread.

But they got Cinnabon!!

I think you hit on it.
Before parent company FOCUS Brands Inc. began their Schlotzsky’s-Carvel-Cinnabon tri-branding, the Schotzsky's preparation areas were proudly displayed to the front of the house.  You could watch everything from the bread baking to the making and cooking of the food.

With the tri-branding remodel, that has all been walled off, and the ingredients are obviously not the same.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #275 on: October 06, 2014, 01:31:58 pm »

I hadn’t really thought about the bread being different.  Though I did notice they don’t pile on the black olives like they used to on the original and I don’t think it’s stuffed with quite as much meat.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #276 on: October 06, 2014, 01:46:14 pm »

I don't know what they used to do with the bread - or do today with it, either - but the "mental image" I always had was a kind of combination sourdough/soda bread.  Wasn't exactly sourdough, but it also wasn't exactly soda bread.  Probably neither...?

I have played around with it a little bit, but never really got close to the old flavor/texture they used to have.  Have done a combined sourdough/soda bread thing and it didn't really quite have that little 'tang' the bread used to have.  And I can't get the air bubbles just right - haven't done enough testing to figure out exactly where the whipping of liquids should occur in the process.   Just had the thought - maybe a dash touch of vinegar in the dough?

And the online clones never have the right "look".  There is something missing - even from the restaurant version now - that should be in there. 

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #277 on: October 06, 2014, 02:19:23 pm »

I don't know what they used to do with the bread - or do today with it, either - but the "mental image" I always had was a kind of combination sourdough/soda bread.  Wasn't exactly sourdough, but it also wasn't exactly soda bread.  Probably neither...?

I have played around with it a little bit, but never really got close to the old flavor/texture they used to have.  Have done a combined sourdough/soda bread thing and it didn't really quite have that little 'tang' the bread used to have.  And I can't get the air bubbles just right - haven't done enough testing to figure out exactly where the whipping of liquids should occur in the process.   Just had the thought - maybe a dash touch of vinegar in the dough?

And the online clones never have the right "look".  There is something missing - even from the restaurant version now - that should be in there. 

Mrs. C played around with the recipe and got really close to the way it is today, but it’s an asspain so she rarely makes them.  Here’s an online recipe which claims to be close:

http://www.thehungryhoarder.com/2012/07/16/schlotzskys-sourdough-bread-copycat/

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #278 on: October 06, 2014, 02:31:19 pm »

Mrs. C played around with the recipe and got really close to the way it is today, but it’s an asspain so she rarely makes them.  Here’s an online recipe which claims to be close:

http://www.thehungryhoarder.com/2012/07/16/schlotzskys-sourdough-bread-copycat/

That one certainly looks good!!  But there is no 'starter'.  All these recipes seem to hold soda to 1/4 tsp.  Seems too little for the soda flavor.  That one looks good enough to try, so may give it a shot in the next few weeks.

So, where is her recipe?  If she messed with it some, then it's gonna be different from any book version....you should post it!!

I have even thought about trying to get part time job there for a while just to try to learn.  I am sure they start with a dry mix, but could get some of the dry mix and have it analyzed!  Yeah...I know...kinda over the top, but would have been worth it for the old version!

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #279 on: October 06, 2014, 04:36:22 pm »

Before parent company FOCUS Brands Inc. began their Schlotzsky’s-Carvel-Cinnabon tri-branding,

How long ago was that?

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #280 on: October 06, 2014, 05:50:16 pm »

How long ago was that?

Few years ago.  Saw something about it on wiki....

And have been to one in Moore this summer and they had cinnabon.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #281 on: October 06, 2014, 07:06:30 pm »

Few years ago.  Saw something about it on wiki....

And have been to one in Moore this summer and they had cinnabon.

'96 or '97 I think. That's when they started coming back with the set up they have now. The first one back in Tulsa was mid '97 IIRC. Yeah it's not the same, but it still makes for a nice alternative.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #282 on: October 06, 2014, 10:22:17 pm »

'96 or '97 I think. That's when they started coming back with the set up they have now. The first one back in Tulsa was mid '97 IIRC. Yeah it's not the same, but it still makes for a nice alternative.

That's when they originally came back just as Schlotzsky’s. 
The "Lotz Better" re-tooling (Schlotzsky’s-Carvel-Cinnabon) started about a year ago, and thats when the quality declined.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #283 on: October 06, 2014, 10:51:48 pm »

That's when they originally came back just as Schlotzsky’s.  
The "Lotz Better" re-tooling (Schlotzsky’s-Carvel-Cinnabon) started about a year ago, and thats when the quality declined.

True, but to me it seemed the change to the bread, and the amount of toppings changed from the original When they first came back in '97. I noticed the addition of Cinnabon when I was in Phoenix last year, and that's the last time I ate at one. The closest ones to me are Spokane WA, Bend OR, and Placerville CA.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 11:02:16 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #284 on: October 07, 2014, 06:32:08 am »

The closest ones to me are Spokane WA, Bend OR, and Placerville CA.

Not too nearby, are they?

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org