A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 02:59:35 pm
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shotgun Sams  (Read 191673 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2014, 10:07:08 am »

Pizza Place for sale soon. Probably at a cheap price.

That or there’s some friction between the mortgage note and insurance papers...

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2014, 10:36:52 am »

Spontaneous combustion?  The poster said there was a pound of cheese on it ostensibly to cover up the carcinogenic smell of the crust.  I LOL’d.

[/URL]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2014, 01:16:21 pm »

Take a look at their FB page this morning.  The two most recent comments were a photo of the bottom of a Colt 45 pizza.  Burnt to a crisp and the guy didn’t want to return it because the owner was such a jackass.  Second comment was from someone who said it didn’t stack up to the original.  Just as predicted, people expect something to resemble a taste or texture memory from 30+ years ago. 

Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!

There was a little hole-in-the-wall Mexican place on 21st, west of Memorial in the late 60's with the best burrito in the history of the planet!!  I would remember that instantly if ever found it again - even after 40+ years!

Another one from the mid 80's - Chinese food on 31st east of Garnett.  I can't remember name - I think it was something like 'Saipan'.... best wings ever - and I will always remember that sauce!!

Ichi-ban on 41st barely west of Memorial has the most memorable (best to me) teri-yaki sauce that I have run across.  Seldom get to go there any more due to scheduling conflicts, but if get near, I always stop in.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TeeDub
« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2014, 09:18:35 am »

Ichi-ban on 41st barely west of Memorial has the most memorable (best to me) teri-yaki sauce that I have run across.  Seldom get to go there any more due to scheduling conflicts, but if get near, I always stop in.

The peanut dressing on the salad is also pretty memorable.   My father managed to make a decent copy using peanut butter.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2014, 09:28:01 am »

The peanut dressing on the salad is also pretty memorable.   My father managed to make a decent copy using peanut butter.

And you haven't posted it because...Huh

Got a lead on the teri-yaki sauce?   I have tried to duplicated it and have made some very good sauces in the process, but not THAT one....  the quest continues!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2014, 09:39:53 am »

And you haven't posted it because...Huh

Got a lead on the teri-yaki sauce?   I have tried to duplicated it and have made some very good sauces in the process, but not THAT one....  the quest continues!

There are so many variations on Teriyaki.

A good base recipe will have a base of soy sauce, some sort of sweetener like brown sugar or molasses, honey, garlic, ginger, either a rice wine, rice wine vinegar, mirin, or miso.

Some wild cards that could be used to enhance it could be pineapple juice or tamarind.

Play with it and have fun.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2014, 09:51:12 am »

It is Memorial Day Weekend after all.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2014, 10:03:08 am »

There are so many variations on Teriyaki.

A good base recipe will have a base of soy sauce, some sort of sweetener like brown sugar or molasses, honey, garlic, ginger, either a rice wine, rice wine vinegar, mirin, or miso.

Some wild cards that could be used to enhance it could be pineapple juice or tamarind.

Tamarind (paste) seems to be good...have only used it once or twice, but liked the results....

Yeah, there is an infinite variety - and a LOT of really good ones out there that I like really well...I have 3 versions that I enjoy quite a bit...the molasses and touch of honey is a part of all 3.  Still love the Ichi-ban version... what I am afraid of is that it would turn out to be corn syrup, a little molasses, some soy and that's about it....it tastes like it should be more complex than that, but have been surprised before.

Who woulda thought equal parts prepared yellow mustard and grape jelly would be as good as it is...??  (For little smokey's)
Or just a simple mix of equal parts ketchup and mustard for sloppy joes...?

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2014, 11:09:11 am »

Tamarind (paste) seems to be good...have only used it once or twice, but liked the results....

Yeah, there is an infinite variety - and a LOT of really good ones out there that I like really well...I have 3 versions that I enjoy quite a bit...the molasses and touch of honey is a part of all 3.  Still love the Ichi-ban version... what I am afraid of is that it would turn out to be corn syrup, a little molasses, some soy and that's about it....it tastes like it should be more complex than that, but have been surprised before.

Who woulda thought equal parts prepared yellow mustard and grape jelly would be as good as it is...??  (For little smokey's)
Or just a simple mix of equal parts ketchup and mustard for sloppy joes...?

You can make a really tasty and simple sweet and sour sauce with a ketchup base. Vastly better than the rubbery red sauce they serve in the Chinese slop houses.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2014, 11:12:05 am »

Since we are completely off-topic...

I make a glaze for chicken that is half orange marmalade and half Russian dressing.

It inspires song.

Power is nothing till you use it.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2014, 11:48:29 am »

Since we are completely off-topic...

I make a glaze for chicken that is half orange marmalade and half Russian dressing.

It inspires song.

And how, pray tell, is this anywhere off topic??  Have you not heard of grilled teri-yaki chicken pizza??   I plan to recommend it to Shotgun Sam's when I go try it....

That sounds yummy, by the way....

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #101 on: May 23, 2014, 01:13:16 pm »

And how, pray tell, is this anywhere off topic??  Have you not heard of grilled teri-yaki chicken pizza??   I plan to recommend it to Shotgun Sam's when I go try it....

That sounds yummy, by the way....

From the sounds of it, you better hurry if you want to try it.

Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2014, 02:13:47 pm »

Based upon the in-depth reports of stellar food critics who hang around here and have posted their first hand reviews I gave Shotgun's a try and well, it was full at lunch today, even had some sitting outside at the picnic tables which was nice on a rainy day. 

Overall, I liked it but it’s not a 100% match my memory but I’d go a B+ to start with room to improve.

Tomato sauce, thin and a bit sweet - check

Crust, a bit thicker (seemed to have raised more than I remembered) but still tender and good, couldn’t see if they were using an oven or one of those chain drives but the lack of corn starch makes me think chain but it was properly browned and cooked through.

Toppings – I had Canadian bacon (held the garlic, had a meeting) and it was sliced thin and plenty of it just as I remember (check).

Service - Was very quick and while not of the ‘hey we’re happy to see you, come on in type engaging’ all were polite and busy (note:  there were sufficient tats to make Blake feel right at home).

House - EVERYTHING I saw was clean and being an old grill hand (Country Fair, Argentina Steak House, Steak and Ale, etc.) I look!   Tables were immediately and properly wiped down (not just swept onto the floor) whenever a table finished.

Hadn't been there in a while and it was good to see new life at London Square.  I grew up folding the Tulsa world while sitting under the stairs out front once upon a hundred years ago.

Definitely worth another visit after little more break-in time but it will need perfection in order to knock Mario’s off my lunch list route. 

Kirby

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2014, 04:08:24 pm »

With all the negative posts on the Facebook page. I'm not sure how he is able to keep the local media in his hip pocket but somehow he does.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/weekend/foodreview/review-shotgun-sam-s-pizza-palace-seeks-to-re-create/article_8f648ec5-a00f-5e71-9097-549cc62e6cb5.html

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2014, 06:47:48 pm »

With all the negative posts on the Facebook page. I'm not sure how he is able to keep the local media in his hip pocket but somehow he does.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/weekend/foodreview/review-shotgun-sam-s-pizza-palace-seeks-to-re-create/article_8f648ec5-a00f-5e71-9097-549cc62e6cb5.html

And how often has the Whirled been right....ever.

All the same, I better get there quick to try them out.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org