A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 02:21:33 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trimble suspended from coaching at Jenks  (Read 19095 times)
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2009, 02:57:49 pm »

How is firing the coach and AD kicking the kids under the bus?

If Jenks wants to uphold the high standards it espouses, do you not think it is paramount to jettison the people in power who are obviously not doing so and haven't been for some time?

Or is the "high standards" talk just talk?

Or is winning football games more important than upholding standards?

So far, I'm not hearing a lot of remorse or contrition down U.S. 75.
Read my response again please, I consider it a better lesson to the kids at the school to see a leader who has publically failed his community, be punished and then come back a stronger person for it much more than I would consider it a positive lesson to just throw those who failed under the big maroon buss and keep charging on.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 03:01:57 pm by Vision 2025 » Logged

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
rwarn17588
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2009, 05:06:26 pm »

Standards are a little different after 12 state championships, I'd guess. 10 of which have been in the last 16 years.

Being an alum and parent, I'm most definitely torn on this.  Coach Trimble by all accounts has helped a lot of young men and he's got a huge legacy as a high school coach.  I think in suspending himself, he's sending the right message, but I can understand your point as well.  You are certainly in a better position to look at it from a more objective point of view than I am.  Curious as to why swake hasn't chimed in yet, I think he's got kids at Jenks.

Perhaps I *am* more objective. I'm not an Oklahoma native, and frankly, I see the idolization of football coaches (and football in general) as more than a little disturbing. It's a doggone cult of personality.

(And I'm saying this as a big fan of football. But even I know that football is little more than a highly enjoyable distraction.)

This reminds me in an offhanded way when "Friday Night Lights" was published some years ago. It wasn't because the book was inaccurate that upset people in West Texas. It was the fact the book *was* accurate that p*ssed off people. It exposed the townsfolk for its wrong-headed obsessions and peculiar excesses.

The Jenks report's pretty damning. You're talking conduct in a few cases that could get you hauled into criminal court for fraud. Most Oklahomans that I know would be insistent on throwing the book at such a person. But if it's a football coach doing this, they get all apologetic about him. Very strange.
joiei
City Father

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2009, 09:19:13 am »

How much is Coach Trimble getting paid as football coach?   Or how do I go about finding out. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2009, 09:33:17 am »

How much is Coach Trimble getting paid as football coach?   Or how do I go about finding out. 

At one point about 10 years ago, I think it was revealed it was in the $70 to $80k range.  I would suspect it's high five or very low six figure.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2009, 09:49:10 am »

It seems to me that people are forgetting that this problem is a lot bigger than this single coach.  (and that is pretty damn big)

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2009, 09:51:55 am »

He received a $16,243 stipend to be a football coach and is salaried at an additional $83,219 per year.  His wife is paid as an "equipment manager" for the football team at $6,000 a year.  Plus, of course, health insurance, pension, 3 months of vacation, and plenty of perks (his full contract has been requested by the World).  So all in all at least $105,500 plus benni's and perks.  His "teachings" duties are listed as "administrator," on the Jenks PS website, so I have no idea if he actually teaches.  He has a BA from N.E. State (in what, I do not know).

The average high school teacher in the Tulsa area makes ~$45,000. 

Trimble was noble enough to give up the $16,000 but will keep his $83,000 salary for "administering" something or other.

http://jenkstrojanfootball.com/coaches.html

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=227&articleid=20091007_19_A1_Jenksf107835

Additionally, Jenks has 29 coaches for their high school football program.  16 for the varsity squad alone.  The University of Oklahoma has 16 (including graduates assistants, includes varsity squad and practice squad as well as director of operations etc.).  The University of Tulsa has 13 (same stipulations as OU).

I'd love to see the budget for Jenks (and other) football programs.  Are those on file with anyone?

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2009, 10:16:54 am »

Tulsa World is requesting a copy of his contract?  I don't like the way that sounds.

I have a funny feeling Coach Trimble might decide there's too much BS now and move along somewhere else either as a coordinator at the college level or taking over a big program somewhere else.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2009, 10:19:08 am »

Cannon you are just pissed off because Jenks is the only one that can sell out your stadium.
rwarn17588
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2009, 10:24:07 am »

Tulsa World is requesting a copy of his contract?  I don't like the way that sounds.

I have a funny feeling Coach Trimble might decide there's too much BS now and move along somewhere else either as a coordinator at the college level or taking over a big program somewhere else.

It's weird how the school district is withholding the contract. I mean, it's public record. There's no reason to withhold it.

It's this cult of personality again. At Jenks, the football coach is king, and can do no wrong. Very weird.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2009, 10:27:03 am »

Requesting = witholding?
rwarn17588
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2009, 10:28:47 am »

Requesting = witholding?

It was requested Monday. It's now Wednesday. Do you really think it's that hard to dig out the contract, especially since it's public record?
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2009, 10:47:07 am »

Cannon you are just pissed off because Jenks is the only one that can sell out your stadium.

Yep, you got me.  Totally jealous of Jenks high school football. Wow, I feel horrible now that I got called out like that.  And it's totally true and oh-so relevant to the discussion.

/if your sarcasm-o-meter isn't freaking out, it's broken.

Actually, this situation isn't a great concern of mine.  I enjoy the area having a reputation of good football, but find the level of interest, commitment, and funding for high school football to be far too much.  I don't live in Jenks, I don't cheer against them, I don't go to games and I don't know any of the parties involved.

All I posted was that the head coach of that the high school football team has as many or more coaches than major college programs and the head coaches receives ~$100,000 in compensation.  I didn't give my opinion on that salary, but pointed out the average teacher makes half of his base salary.  Take the data for whatever you want it to be.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2009, 11:42:32 am »

/if your sarcasm-o-meter isn't freaking out, it's broken.

Don't pretend like you weren't crying when you wrote that.
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2009, 01:56:36 pm »

OUCH!!! but those were fun games.  OH an that was sold out and on TV too.

Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2009, 01:58:25 pm »

Requesting = witholding?
In accordance with the open records act they have a generous time period to provide it.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org