A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 10:32:48 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trimble suspended from coaching at Jenks  (Read 19093 times)
Wilbur
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 05:05:31 am »

Self imposed suspension, then the district hires his wife in the football program?  Really?

That's really showing the OSSAA!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 09:37:23 am »

Maybe Coach Trimble could use his new-found spare time to go to weight watchers.  I worry about the guy.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 11:19:47 am »

Great message to send to the students of Jenks HS. Go ahead and cheat off the smart kid next to you. Go ahead and plagiarize that paper. If you get caught red handed, just say it was a mistake and get a slap on the wrist.

TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 11:21:54 am »

Maybe Coach Trimble could use his new-found spare time to go to weight watchers.  I worry about the guy.

I never could understand how sports coaches could be severely overweight, given the field that they work in.

---Robert
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 11:44:58 am »

Typical, using the worst pictures they can find... Alan has lost a good 50# in the last 18 months is/was working out regularly on a structured program.

This has been a tough week to be a Trojan but there is so much more to Jenks than football!

Overall there has been a lot of bashing in a lot of places about Jenks football and the district in general and while I don't have any kids in football, I do have in Swim (and have I have had in Track) and I can state without exception every single Trojan student athlete works hard all the time no matter if individual or team sport, an 18,000+ crowd or just a few there to cheer... one thing always comes through is the concept of “Spirit, it's a Trojan Thing."  Unless you’ve been there you can’t understand but it’s been that way since I graduated 30+ years ago (in a time well before Jenks was the place to be) and in my Jenks educated opinion if Tulsa Schools had just a fraction of it they would not be where they are today… community spirit and education is why Jenks is home and my kids are "Lifers.”

Conan, I worry about him for other reasons... he really cares about the kids in the program, every single one, and to come back from this will require extraordinary effort but I have no doubt “Trim’ will dig deep and show the kids how it is really done, and for the kids I wouldn't want to face them in any sports for a few years because they are mad, mad at being slighted and mad at their intregrety being challenged. 

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 11:46:42 am by Vision 2025 » Logged

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
rwarn17588
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 11:57:00 am »

Alan has lost a good 50# in the last 18 months is/was working out regularly on a structured program.

I guess that mean he'll be under 300 pounds ... eventually.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 12:01:18 pm »

I had Trimble for geometry (was actually in his class when the OKC bombing happened).  He seemed to be a genuinely nice guy.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 12:03:46 pm »

Fellow alum (middle school years) fellow parent of past Jenks student athletes (gymnasts- they worked out daily 50 weeks a year).  You are right about the dedication to sports and pride in the school system and the committment of the parents.  I've noticed there are a LOT of 2nd and 3rd generation Trojans these days.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rwarn17588
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 12:04:35 pm »

Overall there has been a lot of bashing in a lot of places about Jenks football and the district in general ...

Considering the violations go back at least 10 years, I'd say there's good reason for the bashing.

I'm basically hearing a lot of people in Jenks being apologists and not really acknowledging that the athletic department and football coaching staff either looked the other way or simply knowingly flouted the rules. They don't even have ignorance of the rules on their side.

Anyone who breaks the rules knowingly for a decade and is the leader of an athletic team that's held in such high esteem in the community ought to be fired ... period. If Jenks kids are mad that their integrity is being impugned, then the administration has an obligation to take drastic matters in an effort to restore that integrity.

If not, I'd think the bumper stickers that say "Jenks ... Enough said" will have a different connotation from now on.
Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 12:11:32 pm »

Ya ya ya.. Jenks recruits.. Don't you think that people can find a way to actually move districts.  Everybody acts like getting an apartment in another part of town is impossible for some parents.  Getting to go to Jenks or Union for some of these kids will help them get a scholarship in College.  Lets see...  3 or 4 years of an apartment at an extra $200 a month (maybe) for 4 years $9600.  4 years of school.... Yeah.. A LOT more.

http://www.nfl.com/players/seanmahan/profile?id=MAH168381
Was in my class since at least 1st grade

Rocky Calmus went to Jenks west for quite some time.

Most of the people that were around the time I graduated went to Jenks for quite a while.
http://jenkstrojanfootball.com/alumni.html

Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2009, 12:36:47 pm »

Considering the violations go back at least 10 years, I'd say there's good reason for the bashing.

I'm basically hearing a lot of people in Jenks being apologists and not really acknowledging that the athletic department and football coaching staff either looked the other way or simply knowingly flouted the rules. They don't even have ignorance of the rules on their side.

Anyone who breaks the rules knowingly for a decade and is the leader of an athletic team that's held in such high esteem in the community ought to be fired ... period. If Jenks kids are mad that their integrity is being impugned, then the administration has an obligation to take drastic matters in an effort to restore that integrity.

If not, I'd think the bumper stickers that say "Jenks ... Enough said" will have a different connotation from now on.

Staying, being punished by the District, and admonished in the community and ultimately comming back even stronger is a far better lesson to my kids than kicking them under the bus could ever be.

Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2009, 12:38:17 pm »

I guess that mean he'll be under 300 pounds ... eventually.
Once a linemen always a linemen

rwarn17588
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2009, 12:45:04 pm »

Staying, being punished by the District, and admonished in the community and ultimately comming back even stronger is a far better lesson to my kids than kicking them under the bus could ever be.

How is firing the coach and AD kicking the kids under the bus?

If Jenks wants to uphold the high standards it espouses, do you not think it is paramount to jettison the people in power who are obviously not doing so and haven't been for some time?

Or is the "high standards" talk just talk?

Or is winning football games more important than upholding standards?

So far, I'm not hearing a lot of remorse or contrition down U.S. 75.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2009, 01:55:26 pm »

How is firing the coach and AD kicking the kids under the bus?

If Jenks wants to uphold the high standards it espouses, do you not think it is paramount to jettison the people in power who are obviously not doing so and haven't been for some time?

Or is the "high standards" talk just talk?

Or is winning football games more important than upholding standards?

So far, I'm not hearing a lot of remorse or contrition down U.S. 75.

Standards are a little different after 12 state championships, I'd guess. 10 of which have been in the last 16 years.

Being an alum and parent, I'm most definitely torn on this.  Coach Trimble by all accounts has helped a lot of young men and he's got a huge legacy as a high school coach.  I think in suspending himself, he's sending the right message, but I can understand your point as well.  You are certainly in a better position to look at it from a more objective point of view than I am.  Curious as to why swake hasn't chimed in yet, I think he's got kids at Jenks.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2009, 02:54:56 pm »

Standards are a little different after 12 state championships, I'd guess. 10 of which have been in the last 16 years.

Being an alum and parent, I'm most definitely torn on this.  Coach Trimble by all accounts has helped a lot of young men and he's got a huge legacy as a high school coach.  I think in suspending himself, he's sending the right message, but I can understand your point as well.  You are certainly in a better position to look at it from a more objective point of view than I am.  Curious as to why swake hasn't chimed in yet, I think he's got kids at Jenks.

I do have kids at Jenks. My daughter goes to school with and is friends with Trimble’s daughter (and Vision 2025’s daughter too btw)

Because of that I have hesitated to say anything, but I will say this, I am upset. It isn’t right and should not happen, but I don’t think he should be fired.

I don’t really know Trimble, but I have talked to him several times over the years and he has always been a very nice man. He and his wife have coached their daughter many times in softball against my daughter and in seeing how he is with the girls, he’s a patient and outstanding coach. And girls softball coaches are so often jerks, to their own teams and especially to the opposing team.

My daughter is also a longtime cheerleader at Jenks, and I have spent a lot of time at Jenks football games and have seen him coach many times and he is an intense coach to be sure, but even in football he is (mostly) calm and not abusive to his players. Most high school football coaches seem to think they aren't doing a good job if they aren't screaming and cursing constantly and he isn't like that. From all I have seen and heard from people that know him a lot better than I do, he’s a good man. I honestly before now have never heard anything bad about him.

Kirby Lehman on the other hand……
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 03:53:40 pm by swake » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org