A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:26:31 pm
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You did not do that!  (Read 62410 times)
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #270 on: August 06, 2012, 12:13:09 pm »

Take the blinders off Gas. Its both government and private enterprise that get things done. Nature and nurture. When you believe that its one or the other its just stupid. Speaking of stupid, I know of no liberals who think government alone creates business. I do however know many conservatives who think government has little or no role in prospering businesses.

I just spent three days of training with people who think like you. It was humorous because I could step back and listen to their insanity without having to carry the load it creates. They were primarily engineers, technicians and small town/rural citizens. They ranted some. Climate change, frack drilling, housing shortages, etc. Not so much educated in these areas as they were informed and indoctrinated. Oil companies do that to you.

For example, one presumed to be an expert on global warning because she had "done some research" on the topic. Its all natural stuff to her. Nothing to be concerned about. Another said he didn't care about earthquakes from fracking because to stop it would cost 345,000 jobs overnight.

onward...through the fog
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #271 on: August 06, 2012, 12:19:45 pm »

So anyway, unless you can just make up your side of the discussion a la Gaspar, reason holds that you succeed with hard work and using resources made available to you by others.

A successful person, in the United States, is not an island.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #272 on: August 06, 2012, 12:42:17 pm »

So anyway, unless you can just make up your side of the discussion a la Gaspar, reason holds that you succeed with hard work and using resources made available to you by others.

A successful person, in the United States, is not an island.

A successful person is never an island, unless he lives on an island, however the sacrifices, hard work, investment, initiative, innovation, and ingenuity of that individual far outweigh (by factors of magnitude) the role the GOV plays in their endeavors.   Furthermore, it is the DUTY of our leaders to recognize the contributions of the individual.  The absence of this is tyranny. 

When a government attempts to inject itself into the success of a free citizen, is when the slow slouch towards tyranny is most visible.  It is expected from low-level government officials who wish to feel somehow more empowered by laying claim to the industries they regulate or the individuals they police, but not from a president, who should be the representative of  American ideals.  It's just shameful, disrespectful, and serves no one.  It is government attempting to defeat the very instrument of it's creation, the people.

When freedom prevails, the ingenuity and inventiveness of people creates incredible wealth. This is the source of the natural improvement of the human condition. – Brian S. Wesbury

Simple, clear purpose and principles give rise to complex, intelligent behavior. Complex rules and regulations give rise to simple, stupid behavior. – Dee Hock

People who create things nowadays can expect to be prosecuted by highly moralistic people who are incapable of creating anything. There is no way to measure the chilling effect on innovation that results from the threats of taxation, regulation and prosecution against anything that succeeds. – Joseph Sobran 

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #273 on: August 06, 2012, 12:59:46 pm »

No communication happening here Townsend. Just a valve from some obscure dogma pipeline opening and closing randomly.

onward...through the fog
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #274 on: August 06, 2012, 01:02:55 pm »

No communication happening here Townsend. Just a valve from some obscure dogma pipeline opening and closing randomly.

I've recognized the issue.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #275 on: August 06, 2012, 01:07:08 pm »

Sorry if my words are blasphemy to you.  Just trying to disinfect.  Not that I expect it to work.  Wink

AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #276 on: August 06, 2012, 01:08:16 pm »

Sorry if my words are blasphemy to you.  Just trying to disinfect. (deflect and distract) Not that I expect it to work.  Wink

onward...through the fog
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #277 on: August 25, 2012, 01:04:35 pm »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOXsEzi3baM&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #278 on: August 28, 2012, 10:11:21 am »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7zhwVYzJBg&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #279 on: September 10, 2012, 01:22:04 pm »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EZQvSCGaJI&feature=youtu[/youtube]

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #280 on: September 10, 2012, 03:04:02 pm »

Gassious, pathetic ad ....Fred Davis?
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #281 on: September 10, 2012, 08:07:00 pm »

Novel idea for Gaspar...and anyone else who wants to play...start with the actual text and context of what Obama said instead of the RWRE stillbirth from Murdoch and Company...

Quote;
If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

This that's wrong, huh?  Well, so much for reality in RW world....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #282 on: September 10, 2012, 10:30:51 pm »

Novel idea for Gaspar...and anyone else who wants to play...start with the actual text and context of what Obama said instead of the RWRE stillbirth from Murdoch and Company...

Quote;
If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.

I looked around several grammar sites for proper use of pronouns.  Relative pronouns (such as "that") are used to tie phrases and clauses together.  I didn't see any examples of relative pronouns crossing to another sentence.  The antecedent for the relative pronoun "that" (in "you didn't build that") really should be in the same sentence.

President Obama is a lawyer.  I have always thought that lawyers were trained to use language clearly, or at least to their benefit.  That is obviously not the case here. (Intentional ambiguity.)

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #283 on: September 11, 2012, 05:47:29 am »

I looked around several grammar sites for proper use of pronouns.  Relative pronouns (such as "that") are used to tie phrases and clauses together.  I didn't see any examples of relative pronouns crossing to another sentence.  The antecedent for the relative pronoun "that" (in "you didn't build that") really should be in the same sentence.

President Obama is a lawyer.  I have always thought that lawyers were trained to use language clearly, or at least to their benefit.  That is obviously not the case here. (Intentional ambiguity.)

He misspoke.

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #284 on: September 11, 2012, 07:00:06 am »

He misspoke.

In other words, he said what he really thought.

I've read what he actually said in context, and it really doesn't make me feel all that much better about it.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org