A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 11:41:12 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TULSA'S WATER GOES DOWN THE DRAIN!  (Read 94716 times)
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« on: July 06, 2012, 06:07:34 pm »

http://www.cityoftulsa.org/city-services/water/chloramine-information.aspx

POISON!!!!!!

Maybe RecycleMichael can tell us how great our water is again.

The flyer makes it sound like it's all good. Liars.

You people can continue to worry over Obama. Me? I'll continue to drink ONLY bottled water....you can not purify this poison out of the tap. When you go into a public place, limit your intake. And QUESTION AUTHORITY!
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 06:11:19 pm »

http://www.chloramine.org/ccacflier.htm

What you need to know about chloramine:
Chloramine is a combination of chlorine and ammonia.
Chloramine is a less effective disinfectant than chlorine and cannot kill pathogens like E. Coli and certain viruses effectively according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
As a result, the health and lives of infants less than 6 months of age, people with suppressed immune systems such as HIV and Aids patients and those going through chemotherapy, are at risk. They must have their water boiled for over ten minutes to kill the pathogens in the water as recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO).
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) states that there are NO studies on skin or respiratory effects of chloramine.
The EPA states that the limited studies on cancer to date are inadequate. So we do not know if chloramine can cause cancer.
Kidney dialysis patients must have chloramine completely removed from the water for dialysis treatment to prevent hemolytic anemia.
Chloramine is difficult to remove from water. It cannot be removed by boiling, distilling, or by standing uncovered.
Your greatest exposure to chloramine in tap water is through bathing and showering.
Showerhead filters will not remove chloramine. A whole house or whole apartment filter with an extensive carbon filter and a reverse osmosis or cation filter is necessary and is expensive.
Sink filters only work on cold water. A costly whole house filtration system is necessary to process all water.
Chloramine leaches lead from pipes and lead-tin solder from pipe joints. Lead poisoning can cause neurological damage and health problems, even death in young children.
Chloramine can pit pinholes in copper pipes. Leaks from the pipes can cause toxic molds and endanger the health of people.
Insurance companies do not cover damage from mold. As a result, some homeowners lose their homes.
Chloramine can corrode rubber plumbing parts such as toilet flappers, and de-elasticizes plastic polymer pipes, leaching carcinogens into tap water.
The thousands to tens of thousands of dollars in plumbing repair costs caused by chloramine are passed on to property owners.
Chloramine can kill fish, amphibians and water-based reptiles and marine invertebrates. Chloramine enters directly into their bloodstream, gills, or skin, literally suffocating them to death.
Chloramine entering streams, ponds, or the SF Bay from water main breakages can cause environmental damage to fish and marine life. The Canadian EPA has deemed chloramine "toxic" to the environment (CEPA 1999).

Hit this link....I do not intend to scare you brave souls. I just think you should look through the link and then know that your city has made a horrible decision....
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 07:19:01 pm »

Me? I'll continue to drink ONLY bottled water....you can not purify this poison out of the tap.

Mmmhmmm. You do realize that chemicals in the plastic leach into the water contained in the bottles? Or is that just a conspiracy to make us drink the poisoned tap water? If you're that concerned, let it sit out for a few hours and the chloramine will evaporate, just like the residual chlorine does.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 07:21:31 pm »

I too have some concerns about Chloramine, but I am not ready to say the sky is falling or try to scare everybody like you. When you tell everybody to stay away from federal buildings because of the tea party, you instantly lose all credibility.

Chlorine has been used as a disinfection for public water utilities for many years. One of the disinfection byproducts (DBPs) of chlorination is Trihalomethanes (THMs or TTHMs) which is now known to be seriously carcinogenic.  Trihalomethanes are VOCs, volatile organic chemicals.

Now they mix 20% ammonia in with the chlorine. This formula seems to stop the production of THMs. Unfortunately, it has some other problems like adversely degrading lead in old copper pipes. Fortunately, most of Tulsa has newer poly pipes.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 11:07:00 pm »

http://www.cityoftulsa.org/city-services/water/chloramine-information.aspx

POISON!!!!!!

Maybe RecycleMichael can tell us how great our water is again.

The flyer makes it sound like it's all good. Liars.

You people can continue to worry over Obama. Me? I'll continue to drink ONLY bottled water....you can not purify this poison out of the tap. When you go into a public place, limit your intake. And QUESTION AUTHORITY!

Hate to tell you this, but the company who bottles the water you drink may well use disinfectants which will cause cancer as well.  The resin beads and membranes they filter the water with and the plastic which contains that water also have known carcinogens.

I suggest you quit drinking water and simply buy bottled beer for all your hydration needs.  Far safer!

Either that or quit drinking the Kool-Aid your computer is leaking on a daily basis.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 06:37:10 am »

Once again, it's time to remind you that we are not descended from fearful men.  Our ancestors weren't afraid of looking under a rock for lunch, otherwise we wouldn't be here.

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 08:46:11 am »

Something in your house may kill you, details at 10.

Plus make sure and come back tomorrow to find out something you do every day which may cause your death.

And the next day....
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 10:44:52 am »

Plus make sure and come back tomorrow to find out something you do every day which may cause your death.

Are you referring to a premature death or just that fact that we all eventually die?

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 10:49:31 am »

Unfortunately, it has some other problems like adversely degrading lead in old copper pipes. Fortunately, most of Tulsa has newer poly pipes.

When was the conversion to in-house poly pipe in place of copper?  I would think there are a lot of Tulsa area houses old enough to have copper.  Our place was built in 1968 and it has copper.

sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 11:43:17 am »

All city water is a gamble- Well water in rural areas  is not much safer because it's full of farm chemicals and farm run off, with  bottled water there is no telling what your drinking since they don't have to be labled. No thanks,  I'll stick with my soft drinks. For me there is nothing more refrishing  than sipping down an ice  cold soda on a warm day.  Undecided

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 11:44:40 am »

When was the conversion to in-house poly pipe in place of copper?  I would think there are a lot of Tulsa area houses old enough to have copper.  Our place was built in 1968 and it has copper.
I got old galvenized pipe in my house. It was built in the 1950's.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 12:12:49 pm »

All city water is a gamble- Well water in rural areas  is not much safer because it's full of farm chemicals and farm run off, with  bottled water there is no telling what your drinking since they don't have to be labled. No thanks,  I'll stick with my soft drinks. For me there is nothing more refrishing  than sipping down an ice  cold soda on a warm day.  Undecided

They use municipal water supplies to make your soft drinks, so you're not escaping the stuff you listed. I read the label on a Dr.Pepper once and noticed the words ethylene glycol. Same stuff in your car's radiator.

onward...through the fog
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 01:07:58 pm »

They use municipal water supplies to make your soft drinks, so you're not escaping the stuff you listed. I read the label on a Dr.Pepper once and noticed the words ethylene glycol. Same stuff in your car's radiator.

I never did care for Dr. Pepper.  Maybe now I know why.

Don't read the labels.  You will scare yourself.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 01:08:46 pm »

I got old galvenized pipe in my house. It was built in the 1950's.

The pipe was probably new when they installed it.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 01:11:04 pm »

For me there is nothing more refrishing  than sipping down an ice  cold soda on a warm day.  Undecided

I prefer unsweetened ice tea or just plain water.  Sometimes a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime in the tea or water is nice too.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org