A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 01:41:30 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yipee! Oklahoma taxes are the lowest!  (Read 5336 times)
Chicken Little
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 08:42:42 am »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

um, you can't use both state average income and nationwide average income to arrive at the same rankings.  they are either using one or the other, and no where do they say.

Sure you can.  The "tax burden" is the average tax rate for each state individually, Oklahoma is 27.8%.  If you aggregate the data for all 50 states, you can get an average tax rate for the nation (32.7%).

Some taxes, like property and sales tax, are generally flat rates across the entire population.  But I suspect that Conan is absolutely correct.  Connecticut has higher tax rates in large part because more residents, proportionally, are in higher income tax brackets.  You can tell when you look at the federal rate.  It varies from state to state, even though every American is taxed according to the same formula.  So, the only explanation remaining is that average incomes are higher, which throws more people into higher tax brackets.

I'm not really sure what that proves, other than poor people pay less taxes.

Oklahoma is not the poorest state, however. And we still have the lowest taxes.
midtownnewbie
Activist

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 12:51:44 pm »

I had this same question in the 3rd post of this topic...  Anyway, I believe the main reason Oklahoma has the lowest "tax burden" is due to the lower average income.  I'd like to see a chart that uses an average salary (same for each state) and then calculates what the tax burden would be per state.  That would actually mean something...

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 01:09:41 pm »

I think that's the way to read it.  Miss. has a state and local burden of 10.5% vs. 9% for Oklahoma, yet total tax burden is only .3 points higher in Miss.  WV's total burden is a full 2 points higher than Ok, and their overall burden is 1.9 points higher.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 01:37:10 pm »

midtownnewbie:

The numbers linked above are given as percentages, so they are already adjusted for our lower wages.  But you are correct, being in a lower tax bracket probably helps offset some federal taxes.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org