A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 06:35:47 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: God's Quarterback  (Read 55834 times)
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2011, 10:44:38 am »

Yes. The original Protestant whose dying words were reputed to be, "the Pope is the devil". I can't agree or disagree with his remark about that Pope. This one seems okay though.

The Pope doesn't have as much political power in the US as he did in Medieval Europe.  I will agree that recent Popes seem to be OK.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2011, 11:01:39 am »

Tebow is very good, and his skill defies previous analysis of his abilities.  He believes what he believes and that's great.  He gives a significant amount of his substantial income away to orphanages in the Philippines, and that's great.  He preys and thanks the lord for his abilities in an unashamed way, and that's great.  He does not have  12 illegitimate children, alimony payments, drug addictions, weapons, rape, assault, or DUI charges pending, and that's great.

The reason that he is so scrutinized, criticized, and demonized by others is that his mere existence reflects poorly on the lifestyle of those around him.

I think he's an excellent quarterback but I think his team deserves a lot of credit too!  I think that because of the manufactured controversy over his strong faith, he has gotten a lot of credit that should be shared.  Many of the reports from last weeks game don't even mention the names of the receivers like Thomas, or defensive players, and downplay the amazing kicks carried out by Prater.  The Broncos have become Tim Tebow because that's what the media wants to focus on right now. I'm not sure if they want to see him succeed or just be there when he fails, but they are doing this at the expense of the other players that make up the team.

Tim Tebow is an excellent quarterback, but the Broncos are more than Tim Tebow.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
AquaMan
City Father

Just Cruz'n

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2011, 11:09:19 am »

The kid is a gamer. I don't think his skills are great, but he understands the team concept and because he isn't a "premier quality" quarterback, the team works around and with him to put themselves in winning positions. I was skeptical of the Broncos keeping him and I heard that Elway was too, but you gotta love a guy who just keeps his wits about him and plays the game without losing himself.

The press loves to build celebrity up till it peaks then tear it down just as fast. Its obscene really.

onward...through the fog
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2011, 11:12:58 am »

He preys and thanks the lord for his abilities in an unashamed way, and that's great.  

Spell check.  I think you meant "pray".  (I hope you did...)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
ARGUS
Civic Leader

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2011, 12:19:46 pm »

gradstanding will backfire. keep your faith/beliefs quiet. lead by example.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2011, 01:45:09 pm »

Spell check.  I think you meant "pray".  (I hope you did...)

Sorry, when I'm out of the office I use voice-to-speech on my phone.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2011, 01:52:08 pm »

Matthew 6:5-6

“And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2011, 01:57:38 pm »

“And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

Never hear that on the reality bible shows.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2011, 04:06:12 pm »

But what is worse is the government trying to interfere with that person and her doctor.

And that's the problem. I do not consider killing a human being an issue between a "person and her doctor". I view it as birth control. Period. I am still waiting for a religious/Christian point of view that condones abortion.

With that said, listen to this asshat "comic" talk about this (NSFW):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o8V8xlWogU[/youtube]

AQUA: Here is a link to the Catholic church's view on war.

http://catholicism.about.com/od/beliefsteachings/p/Just_War_Theory.htm

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2011, 04:12:22 pm »

I am still waiting for a religious/Christian point of view that condones abortion.

Jehoveh v Egyptian first borns.
Jehoveh v Earth (floods)
Jehoveh v Sodom and Gomorrah

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2011, 04:14:31 pm »

Then by your logic you must be in favor Priests fondling altar boys.

Of course, you are not.

Even though the Catholic Church turned it's eyes on the charges (it was documented that almost 4,400 Priests and Deacons were engaged in sexual abuse with a minor), clearly the vast majority of Catholics do not tolerate that behavior.

Believe it or not, there are Catholics who are democrats. There are democrats against abortions. And most surprising to you, there are atheist football fans who cheer for Tim Tebow. They don't care is he gives credit to God, the referees, or his offensive line. They are just happy he helped their favorite team win.

Enough of the damned strawmen Mike and answer the question. How do you as a Christian reconcile support of abortion rights? And so you know, I have been counsel in four, FOUR, child sex abuse cases in schools/churches and not ONE was Catholic.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2011, 04:15:23 pm »

Jehoveh v Egyptian first borns.
Jehoveh v Earth (floods)
Jehoveh v Sodom and Gomorrah

Oh I get it, GOD (yes I said it) supports abortion.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2011, 04:16:02 pm »

Oh I get it, GOD (yes I said it) supports abortion.

You asked.  I obliged.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2011, 04:22:22 pm »

And that's the problem. I do not consider killing a human being an issue between a "person and her doctor". I view it as birth control. Period. I am still waiting for a religious/Christian point of view that condones abortion.

The same thing applies - government getting into the medical business of birth control, between a woman and her doctor.

I understand that there may be cases that I would condone - the standard platitudes of rape, incest, danger to the mother - but those are such a tiny minority they don't really even count.  And seeing some of the parents and the way they treat a baby, it sometimes makes me wonder if the kid wouldn't be better off elsewhere.  But then I think, dead ain't "elsewhere".  They deserve a shot at this just like we all did.

But IF you are gonna insist on government getting into the act, then you better be prepared to step up and take care of that unwanted kid when the DNA donor shows what kind of garbage they really are.  And we aren't prepared to do that in this society.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2011, 04:33:02 pm »

That verse has been taken out of context many times before. It applies more to those who pray because they want attention, not because they are sincerely thanking God.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org