A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 11:35:38 am
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey, what happend to the crappy post from...  (Read 36918 times)
Hometown
« Reply #180 on: December 09, 2006, 10:58:09 am »

I could make a argument that Tulsa is perfect.  But I would base most of the argument on intangibles.  I've always been attracted to beautiful losers.  What I love about Tulsa isn't based on every commercial building being occupied.  And it isn't based on national recognition of our hipness.  My ideal of hip would lean towards a well-kept secret, which Tulsa is.  Okay, I admit it.  I don't like to share what I love with the national spotlight.  The national spotlight has a way of killing whatever it touches.

Sitting in a barn in the backwoods of Oklahoma watching Taj Majal perform for a small audience was -- hip.  Going up to Pawhuska and eating chicken fried steak in a little Okie cafe and enjoying an afternoon of Native Americans dancing at an Osage powwow -- is hip.

Someone said something about our Hills.  Thank you.  When you said that I was finally able to see the obvious.  The reason Tulsa is so physically beautiful is because of her hills and the depth of view that they provide.

Oh I could go toe to toe with Davaz.  Davaz have you ever seen the Marland Mansion in Ponca City?  I've been entertained in more than a few Texas mansions and nothing I've seen gets close to the Marland Mansion.

Our money is older.  We have more class.  Texans are prone to overstatement and going overboard in their displays of wealth.  That's the national joke about Texas.  Tulsans are masters of understatement and the subtle snub.

Tulsa's founders looked East.  Your cities were all cow towns except for San Antonio which actually has a real history.  Of course you folks are too wrapped up in yourselves to acknowledge that San Antonio is great because it was a Mexican city first.

Snide?  I'd take Dorothy Parker over Al Goldstein any day.

USRufnex
« Reply #181 on: December 09, 2006, 04:32:27 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by tulitlikeitis

Houston is 7th from the top (San Fran and Austin are 1 and 2) while Tulsa is down in the pits at number 61 (even OK city is better than Tulsa).

Old Lawyer's trick -- never ask a question where you don't know the answer.

...mmmm... that cheese looks good.... mustn't take the cheese..... hmmm, gouda?.... okay, maybe just a nibble......

Yes, Davaz, I've read What's the matter with Kansas? from cover to cover.  Good read.  Fun book... "I laughed, I cried, it was better than Cats"... and my friend who grew up in Mississippi identified with alot of it, as well...

But I saw the author on Charlie Rose and quickly figured out the author's perpective was formed from a childhood of suburban-upper-middle-class priviledge.  Last I checked, he chose to live in an overpriced Chicago condo.  
Which is okay, I guess.

Oh, yeah, and I read alot of "Rise of the Creative Class" during my lunches in the Chicago loop.  But I never bought the book since I was too broke after paying rent... You  see, I happen to be a card-carrying member of the Creative Class but that card's been over its spending limit for years now... [8D]

If the overall ranking is based on the list below, then that means Tulsa is #61 out of a total of 332 regions.  Here's a map.
http://www.creativeclass.org/map_ci.shtml

The Rise of the Creative Class
Why cities without gays and rock bands are losing the economic development race.
By Richard Florida
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2001/0205.florida.html

When it comes to "gays and rock bands," you'd assume Tulsa wouldn't rank very high based on that sort of criteria, yet...

Tulsa ranks 10th of 32 medium-sized metro areas reporting populations 500,000 to 1 million in the 2000 Census-- for folks who are mathematically challenged, that's in the top third.

Hmmmm...  

Top Ten Cities-Creativity Index-%Creative workers
1. Albuquerque 965 32.2
2. Albany, NY 932 33.7
3. Tuscon, AZ 853 28.4  
4. Allentown, PA 801 28.7
5. Dayton, OH 766 30.1
6. Colorado Springs 756 29.9  
7. Harrisburg, PA 751 29.8
8. Little Rock, AR 740 30.8
9. Birmingham, AL 722 30.7
10. Tulsa, OK 721 28.7  

BTW, for those of you keeping score of Davaz's lies at home, OKC's overall score was 668 for an overall ranking of 83.  Tulsa's score of 721 was somehow higher than the "creativity" scores of Las Vegas, Memphis, Nashville, Louisville, Jacksonville, Detroit and New Orleans...

yawn.

More lies, damnable lies and statistics...
http://www.mostlivable.org/cities/tulsa/home.html

tulitlikeitis
« Reply #182 on: December 12, 2006, 01:42:37 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hometown

I could make a argument that Tulsa is perfect.  But I would base most of the argument on intangibles.  I've always been attracted to beautiful losers.  What I love about Tulsa isn't based on every commercial building being occupied.  And it isn't based on national recognition of our hipness.  My ideal of hip would lean towards a well-kept secret, which Tulsa is.  Okay, I admit it.  I don't like to share what I love with the national spotlight.  The national spotlight has a way of killing whatever it touches.

Sitting in a barn in the backwoods of Oklahoma watching Taj Majal perform for a small audience was -- hip.  Going up to Pawhuska and eating chicken fried steak in a little Okie cafe and enjoying an afternoon of Native Americans dancing at an Osage powwow -- is hip.

Someone said something about our Hills.  Thank you.  When you said that I was finally able to see the obvious.  The reason Tulsa is so physically beautiful is because of her hills and the depth of view that they provide.

Oh I could go toe to toe with Davaz.  Davaz have you ever seen the Marland Mansion in Ponca City?  I've been entertained in more than a few Texas mansions and nothing I've seen gets close to the Marland Mansion.

Our money is older.  We have more class.  Texans are prone to overstatement and going overboard in their displays of wealth.  That's the national joke about Texas.  Tulsans are masters of understatement and the subtle snub.

Tulsa's founders looked East.  Your cities were all cow towns except for San Antonio which actually has a real history.  Of course you folks are too wrapped up in yourselves to acknowledge that San Antonio is great because it was a Mexican city first.

Snide?  I'd take Dorothy Parker over Al Goldstein any day.

Hometown, you are a persuasive writer. And if I had not witnessed the backwardness and poverty close-up, day to day … I might be inclined to believe you. However, for me it is a case of been there, done that. Eight months was more than enough for me.

As to hip … eating a chicken fried steak in a country bumpkin town is a lot of things but hip it is not.

All I can say is that the place depressed me a lot. My grandparents on both sides were leaders in the city (physicians, newspaper editor, etc) and they would be ashamed to see what the current residents have let the city become.
USRufnex
« Reply #183 on: December 12, 2006, 10:10:48 pm »

I would now like to hijack this thread... PLEASE KEEP YOUR TRAY TABLES IN AN UPRIGHT POSITION...

"Hometown, you are a persuasive writer."
HOOK

"And if I had not witnessed the backwardness and poverty close-up, day to day … I might be inclined to believe you."
LINE

"However, for me it is a case of been there, done that. Eight months was more than enough for me."
SINKER

Evidently, eight months wasn't enough for you.  You've spent well over eight months on this site as a lying little piggy.  In fact, you've spent years on this site.

I've NEVER met ANYBODY who only lived 8 months in a city, then decided to systematically go on a website to do everything he could to trash that city.  

I didn't like Ft Worth-less when I lived there... but haven't spent years on the FtWorthNow forum creating a dozen friggin' sockpuppets... let alone obnoxiously telling posters "I know who you are, where you live and where you work."    

"As to hip … eating a chicken fried steak in a country bumpkin town is a lot of things but hip it is not."

I suspect some of my artsy-fartsy 20-something-aged friends in Chicagoland would disagree with you.  Truly creative folks tire of the politically correct... they tire of people whose only values involve how much money you make and where Fidelity Investments decides to locate their offices... creative folks LIKE hobnobbing with REAL people... some of those people live in Pawhuska... as well as parts of the Houston area you will probably never experience nor appreciate.

"All I can say is that the place depressed me a lot."

You're not the first and won't be the last... control issues???

"My grandparents on both sides were leaders in the city (physicians, newspaper editor, etc) and they would be ashamed to see what the current residents have let the city become."

Oh finally.  So, it's your upper-crusty grandparents on both sides... family who probably never woulda given anyone from my family the time of day...

Gee, did I talk to you at a bar about 4 years ago?... because you sound EXACTLY like a spoiled rich brat who woulda never had a conversation with me had I not mentioned I lived in Chicago and was only in Tulsa temporarily for family reasons.  Yep, he loved hearing me talk about life in the big city of Chicago.  Yep, he kept telling me how bad things were in Tulsa and how his "daddy" could buy him anything he wanted.  When I told him that so far I'd been pleasantly surprised since moving to the Tulsa area... he stopped talking to me....

which reminds me of another story.....

my first roommate in Chicago was a brilliant member of the creative class... smart... in the banking industry... grew up in Victoria, BC... and wouldn't allow me to erase my mother's telephone msgs on the answering maching (it was that long ago) because he loved that "southern accent."

He was excited to make his first business trip to Tulsa........ but he hated Tulsa.  Not because of the "residents."  But because of how "obnoxious" he found Tulsa's ultra-crusty upper crust.  He found them mean and condescending... so I celebrate when any of those elitist folks decide they need to move to Houston...

I suppose if I won the lottery I'd buy a condo on the back bay of Boston... barring that, I'm perfectly happy living in a city where "random acts of kindness, senseless acts of beauty" are more than just a bumper sticker on the back of a lesbian couple's Land Rover...

http://www.metropolismag.com/cda/story.php?artid=1151

...oh, and my creative big city (Chicago) can beat up your creative big city (Houston) any day of the week... nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah nah... hey hey hey... goodbye.   [Cheesy]

Editor

Administrator
Civic Leader

« Reply #184 on: December 14, 2006, 12:06:19 pm »

I think it's time to bid a fond farewell (for now) to Tulitlikeitis. I wish we could say it's been fun.

P.S. Nice try with "Zavad"

Hometown
« Reply #185 on: December 14, 2006, 12:59:44 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Editor

I think it's time to bid a fond farewell (for now) to Tulitlikeitis. I wish we could say it's been fun.

P.S. Nice try with "Zavad"

Would you be willing to tell us why you are saying farewell to Tulitlikeitis?  Is it a matter of violating a policy?

Editor

Administrator
Civic Leader

« Reply #186 on: December 14, 2006, 01:19:58 pm »

Yes, many and multiple. The basic of which is "Don't attack other people." For example:

quote:

Check this note out. After reading "borned, ourselfs and gotton" I believe this person is well suited for Tulsa. If hubby is the same level, CA will gain a couple of notches on the IQ scale.

He apparently sent emails to the person he berated above as well. If that was not enough, we banned him indefinitely about 12 times before with plenty of justification, he doesn't have to "break the rules again" to get banned again. We had every right to ban him as soon as he signed on.

As the leader of our country once said, "Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

If anyone disagrees with this decision, feel free to send a PM. If you agree, you can still PM. If you want to complain, you can do that too.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org