A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 10:11:06 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Rose wins Rivers Edge Location...  (Read 100353 times)
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« on: March 12, 2009, 10:32:13 am »

From today's Tulsa World: http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20090312_11_0_RiverP587626
River Parks Authority on Thursday directed staff to negotiate a contract with Tom Dittus to resurrect the Blue Rose Cafe on the east bank of the Arkansas River.

Dittus was one of two local restaurant entrepreneurs to submit a proposal for a riverfront, full-service restaurant to replace the former River Edge Bistro and Cafe at 19th Street.

Elliot Nelson, who owns El Guapo’s and McNellie’s also submitted a plan.

The restaurant site will sit on about a 3.81 acres bounded on the west by the river and on the east by Riverside Drive at 19th Street.

Here's last Friday's Tulsa World article with additional information:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20090311_11_A13_Thesea528327&archive=yes
Dittus is proposing to reopen the Blue Rose Cafe with a design that will give a sense that the restaurant is floating.

"The experience is intended to be one where you can experience the park, the river and the city's people as one," the proposal states. "It will be a comfortable place to relax and unwind."

The restaurant would be a 3,000-square-foot, marina-style space that could accommodate 100 patrons inside and as many as 90 on the deck.

An outdoor stage and amphitheater also is proposed.

The plan is to resurrect the Blue Rose Cafe's menu, featuring its popular blackened chicken sandwich and cheese fries. The moderately priced menu also would include burgers, salads and drinks.

If chosen, Dittus said, the restaurant's name might be altered to reflect its new home on the river.

PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 10:40:25 am »

The drawing looks cool, and I like the idea of hanging out on the deck by the water... But I hope it won't totally "turn it's back" on the park area. 

The great thing about River's Edge was that it was integrated into the park.  That's what made it perfect for kids and families and people with dogs.  Your kids could play football in the park, while you enjoyed a beer and some live music.  Families could picnic on the grass while listening to a concert.  Or you could hang out on the patio with friends and dogs and have a beer.

The other thing that made it great was that it was a neighborhood joint.  The kind of place people walked or biked to...instead of driving. 

At 3,000 SF, will the zoning laws require more parking?  (If so, this is the perfect "case study" to seek a change to the zoning code for parking requirements:  allowing bike racks and walkability to substitute for parking spaces.) 

I just hope we won't be trading park space for parking lots to accomodate this! 
BierGarten
Activist

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 11:35:50 am »

I am not upset with this decision, just surprised by it.  I would have thought that Elliot, being the darling of downtown, would have had this in the bag (considering the current administration's major downtown-centric ideologies).  Perhaps the River Parks Authority is far enough removed from the mayor's office that it didn't matter?

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 11:38:49 am »

I totally agree. The best thing about River's Edge was not the scenic view but the people watching. You have to have a back to the restaurant to bring in deliveries, but there should be a place to sit closer to the trail.

I wonder if they will tear down the River's Edge building? The smartest thing to do would be to make it into an Anex and sell beverages and snacks.

X edited to correct incorrect word usage issue.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 11:49:28 am by carltonplace » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 11:47:38 am »

Animals wouldn't be allowed "in" a restaurant and I agree that was part of the draw for me to River's Edge.  I like Tom and Elliot both, and think either could do a great job with this, so I really didn't have a preference one way or the other who got the RFP so long as it serves the citizens well and doesn't impede the pedestrian flow around it.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 02:11:06 pm »

I like the design also, in that it levers over the river.  But I have some fears:

1) That they will turn their back on the park.  A dumpster and deliver lane would make the park less attractive.

2) No beer sales "to go" so I can sit by the river or whatever.

3) EXISTING STRUCTURE ALONG THE RIVER!  Currently there is a concrete structure there commonly used for sitting, river watching, duck feeding, and people watching.  The rendering seems to indicate this public space goes and is replaced by a restaurant.  Mixed bag there.

I HOPE:

4) They merge it into the park.  By having the deck at trail level and loosely separating it with a wooden railing or something.  Having deliveries on the side or just walk them in instead of driven up.  Hide the dumpster, maybe even roll it to the far end of the parking lot during the day or something . . .

5) They have public bathrooms or refurbish the ones at the Rivers Edge.

6) Snacks and beer "to go."  My boy likes to play at the park just down the trail.  I liked to sit and people watch.  It was nice to get some nachos, chips, or a hot dog with a beer and combine the two.  Or play frisbee or whatever.  Sitting on that deck it wouldn't work very well.

7) Animals.  I hope animals are allowed on the deck.  I loved bringing my dogs down to the Rivers Edge.

Cool Live music outside.  Nice summer evening.  Family and friends.  Some dogs laying here and there.  A few beers, some fine people watching, a little food... and live music.  Is there a better summer evening?
- - -

Looking forward to seeing what they do.  I hope it is not "just" a restaurant.  It really needs to fill a community void IMHO.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 03:06:23 pm »

Can you take beer "to go" in Oklahoma?  My guess would be no.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 03:11:05 pm »

I think beer to go was frowned upon by River's Edge.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 03:22:07 pm »

I think beer to go was frowned upon by River's Edge.

Isn't it some kind of arcane Oklahoma law that if an establishment serves beer/alcohol of any sort, that once sold it cannot be taken off the premises?  That seems to be the case nearly everywhere you go in town.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 03:46:51 pm »

It is true.  What I meant was not mandatory kept inside the premise.   Take it out on a deck that can see that park.  Or over to sit in the grass.  Or a few feet away to toss a Frisbee.   

I'm not looking to take a 6 pack home.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 03:49:26 pm »

Isn't it some kind of arcane Oklahoma law that if an establishment serves beer/alcohol of any sort, that once sold it cannot be taken off the premises?  That seems to be the case nearly everywhere you go in town.

Unless it's closed off by the police like Mayfest I believe.  But no harder than 3.2 can leave in any situation.  It has to be a "food product" for you to walk around with it.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 04:55:03 pm »

Hmmm, indeed the main thing I liked about the old Rivers Edge was the people watching. From what I can tell of the rendering. I dont like it. I liked being able to kick back, look towards the river and see people go by.  I liked how the restaurant was part of the flow of people. You could rollerblade right up and get a drink. The people sitting on the grass, at the tables, musicians, people biking,walking, rollerblading by... were all together. It was great. You could have done something new and improved upon what made the place so unique and attractive in the first place. Not done just the opposite.   

One of the things newcomers often ask when they first get to Tulsa is. "Where are the good people watching spots?" And NO the friggin mall doesnt count. We have precious few good people watching spots and looks like we just took a good one and instead of building something new and better, as we all hoped, they turned it into crap. They just didnt get it at all. So sad. Jeeeez.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
pfox
Civic Leader

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 07:43:55 pm »

I think the artist brings up a valid point...I do think the people watching element is important...however, there might be good people watching on the deck, since there will be 90 people on there with you...and as a runner, having people leer at me struggling down the path while they sat and guzzled Bud Light was not my favorite thing,...so it depends on what side of the people watching dynamic you are on... haha.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 07:27:29 am by pfox » Logged

"Our uniqueness is overshadowed by our inability to be unique."
hello
Civic Leader

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 08:17:39 pm »

Well I was hoping whatever replaced the Rivers Edge would be similar in scale. And for partially selfish reasons because I live right across the street and hopes this doesn't block my river view.  Angry

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 08:22:33 pm »

Mayfest is 3.2 I believe.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org