A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 12:53:39 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deco district pop-up shopping center downtown  (Read 23870 times)
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2012, 05:58:57 pm »

So, It seems that the pop-up shopping district idea has worked (at least for now).  Four of the stores that were involved have decided to keep their doors open on a month to month basis.  I'm told that the deal is that Kanbar is offering them month to month to make sure that its something they want to commit to (Nice Guy!).  The drawback is that he isn't going to do any build-out for them until they sign on the dotted line.  In addtion to those four (Indie Emporium, Bison and Bear, Earthly Delights, and one other whose name eludes me), the candy store already signed the lease on the space next to Mod's. 

You want retail downtown? boom!  I realize it's not exactly a department store, but its a place to start.  And who doesn't like a candy store?

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2012, 06:24:54 pm »

You want retail downtown? boom!  I realize it's not exactly a department store, but its a place to start.  And who doesn't like a candy store?

People on the Atkins diet.

In all seriousness, this is the best example of organic retail growth I can imagine.  Kudos to Kanbar!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2012, 06:26:36 pm »

People on the atkins diet aren't people.  I keed, I keed.

I wish I had the money to drop on one of the really sweet handmade bowties they have at Bison and Bear.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2012, 06:34:11 pm »

I wish I had the money to drop on one of the really sweet handmade bowties they have at Bison and Bear.

If you actually had the money, what would you really do with it?

Cheesy

jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2012, 06:47:50 pm »

Well I do love wearing a bowtie.  But to be fair, Me having the money to buy a bowtie means I would already have enough money for beer.  I can't even afford that nowadays. Sad

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2012, 07:34:09 pm »

Well I do love wearing a bowtie.  But to be fair, Me having the money to buy a bowtie means I would already have enough money for beer.  I can't even afford that nowadays. Sad

I just wanted to see where your priorities are.   Cheesy

rdj
City Father

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2012, 09:21:06 am »

Bison & Bear is a great shop.  I  hope they make it downtown.  I applaud Kanbar and whom ever orginated this idea.  We need more of this type of creative, forward thinking downtown.

The neckwear designed by the guys that own Bison & Bear has been featured in national men's magazines.  Pretty cool stuff.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2012, 09:45:14 am »

Bison & Bear is a great shop.  I  hope they make it downtown.  I applaud Kanbar and whom ever orginated this idea.  We need more of this type of creative, forward thinking downtown.

The neckwear designed by the guys that own Bison & Bear has been featured in national men's magazines.  Pretty cool stuff.

Dammit, now I am going to have to go here at lunch...thanks!
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2012, 11:37:10 am »

I think the owner of Elote's either had the idea or at least pushed it to make it happen.  Kudos all around.

Now we need to support those stores to help them succeed.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2012, 02:11:13 pm »

I think the owner of Elote's either had the idea or at least pushed it to make it happen.  Kudos all around.

Now we need to support those stores to help them succeed.

And the fledgeling Tulsa Art Deco Museum as well.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2012, 02:39:31 pm »

Get some puffy tacos.  Finish it with a sweet crepe or some gelato.  Then go to Bison and Bear get some man stuff then buy candy.  The go to Delks and get a few drinks under your belt.  Actually you could do these in any order.  None the less, I think with these additions the Deco district has moved beyond beying a name and buildings looking for a district, to actually being a district where one could have an entire evening.  One or two more destinations down there and they will be set.  Now if only Schneider would get started on the Vandever building.

ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2012, 02:36:27 pm »

So, It seems that the pop-up shopping district idea has worked (at least for now).  Four of the stores that were involved have decided to keep their doors open on a month to month basis.  I'm told that the deal is that Kanbar is offering them month to month to make sure that its something they want to commit to (Nice Guy!).  The drawback is that he isn't going to do any build-out for them until they sign on the dotted line.  In addtion to those four (Indie Emporium, Bison and Bear, Earthly Delights, and one other whose name eludes me), the candy store already signed the lease on the space next to Mod's. 

Very nice to hear. And what better place for a little retail district to develop than our beautiful and historic core? I hope all these endeavors succeed and other property owners in downtown take note.
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2012, 03:32:37 pm »

I think that we are at or very soon will be at critical mass.  But since from here development will require lots money permits and time we won't start seeing it's fruit for another 6 months to a year.  The property owners taking note I think is already happening.  Now we just have to make an effort to support things like this.  I'm really excited. Smiley

dbacks fan
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2012, 01:53:52 pm »

And who doesn't like a candy store?

I know a good candy store......

http://thecandystoretoplessbar.com/?page_id=978

Oh, wait, what? Sorry, wrong kind of candy.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2012, 02:41:22 pm »

I know a good candy store......

http://thecandystoretoplessbar.com/?page_id=978

Oh, wait, what? Sorry, wrong kind of candy.

I know one of those girls; she used to work at Tri...uh, I mean a bar in mid-south Tulsa...

Grin

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org