A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 08:58:09 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Art Deco Museum, Preview Party (&Christmas Card Sales)  (Read 5931 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« on: November 21, 2011, 09:45:40 am »

A Fashionable Tribute to Tulsa's Art Deco Heritage        

Save this date on your calendar, 4 p.m. Saturday, December 10th.  

The Tulsa Art Deco Museum is inviting you to a preview party in our new home.  While there, you will be able to see our first ever showcase, “A Fashionable Tribute to Tulsa’s Art Deco Heritage,” featuring 10 beautiful gowns worn by live models.  The gowns were designed by OSU’s talented Advanced Apparel Design students as part of a class project for which they designed a line of couture-level evening wear inspired by Tulsa’s incredible Art Deco architecture.  You will be able to meet the designers and hear how the buildings of Tulsa influenced their work.

While at our museum showcase, if you wish to do a little Christmas shopping, you will also be able to browse the “pop-up” Christmas shops inside the Philcade.   The Philcade used to be a small shopping center.  In an effort to bring shopping back to our beautiful downtown, the Deco District has brought in numerous retailers to set up shop inside both the Philcade and the historic Thompson building, right across the street.  Just down the street there will be even more shopping at the an­nual BOK Winterfest Holiday Market from 10-6.

There will be horse and buggy rides and outdoor ice skating downtown that day as well.  Before our event you can also check out the Tulsa Jingle Bell Run/Walk.  To top it all off, after our event, starting at 6, you will be able to see the Holiday Pa­rade of Lights. This year’s spectacular parade will include more than 70 entries in­cluding floats, giant helium balloons, marching bands, equestrian units, dance groups, and more.
  Oh! And Santa himself should be set up right in front of our space inside the Phil­cade for those holiday photos!

Looooots to see and do downtown the day of our event.  So save that day on your calendar, and come on down to see us and our first ever showcase!

Also... the Tulsa Art Deco Museum's  2011 Christmas Cards are in!

This year’s beautiful cards were created for the Tulsa Art Deco Museum by  William Arthur Franklin (William The Artist).   Inspired by Tulsa’s Nutcracker Ballet, which is appropriately set in the Deco Era of the 1920’s, the artwork for this historic card will also be gracing the cover of the Performing Arts Center’s December,  “Intermission” magazine.  The card shows the lovely Maria giving a gentle kiss to her Nutcracker prince while he keeps a wary eye on those troublesome mice frolicking in the background.

Cards come 10 to a box, with envelopes.
Blank insides.
Cost. $15 per box of 10  5”X7” cards.

Proceeds supporting the Tulsa Art Deco Museum.

1.  Reply to this e-mail or call William @  918-406-7718  
2.  Pay via PAYPAL  http://decopolis.net/giftshop.html  on our website.  
              Packs of 2 or more can be delivered within the Tulsa city limits, or $5 to mail.
3.  Purchase and or pick up cards downtown at the Tulsa Art Deco mu­seum gift shop.  Philcade building, Corner of 5th and Boston.  
              Wednes­days, Nov. 30th-Dec. 28th, & Saturday Dec. 10th between 10am-7pm.

Keep abreast of updates by signing up to our fun Monthly newsletter, or by checking out the Tulsa Art Deco Museum website.  

http://decopolis.net/index.html  

« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 09:48:40 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 11:31:01 am »

We walked by the window display a couple weeks ago - very nice.

Am looking forward to seeing the place.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 09:53:59 am »

http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/news/local_news/tulsa-art-deco-museum-ready-to-open-its-doors    Smiley

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 10:10:21 am »

The fashion show went spectacularly well.  I really want to thank the OSU design students, models, and others who helped us pull this off.  The DJ's played some great, fun, hip music while the models strutted their stuff.  The 10 models wearing the Art Deco inspired evening gowns would rotate from one "post" to the next during the evening while people would fill out voting cards to pick the "peoples choice award".  The Philcade lobby became quite packed with onlookers and my favorite part of the evening was when each of the girls did a runway walk down the lenght of the lobby.  Music playing, crowds of onlookers on either side clapping, cameras constantly flashing, and the girls doing their walk in those beautiful gowns down that stunning lobby with its gold ceilings, sparkling marbled walls and glowing chandeliers.  Looked like something right out of NYC or Paris (thank you Mr Phillips).  I was like "Wow, we actually pulled this off and it turned out to be a great event!".  Mod's loved us too that evening, they said they were swamped with customers.  Smiley

Will get some pics posted soon.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 07:21:11 pm »

The fashion show went spectacularly well.  I really want to thank the OSU design students, models, and others who helped us pull this off.  The DJ's played some great, fun, hip music while the models strutted their stuff.  The 10 models wearing the Art Deco inspired evening gowns would rotate from one "post" to the next during the evening while people would fill out voting cards to pick the "peoples choice award".  The Philcade lobby became quite packed with onlookers and my favorite part of the evening was when each of the girls did a runway walk down the lenght of the lobby.  Music playing, crowds of onlookers on either side clapping, cameras constantly flashing, and the girls doing their walk in those beautiful gowns down that stunning lobby with its gold ceilings, sparkling marbled walls and glowing chandeliers.  Looked like something right out of NYC or Paris (thank you Mr Phillips).  I was like "Wow, we actually pulled this off and it turned out to be a great event!".  Mod's loved us too that evening, they said they were swamped with customers.  Smiley

Will get some pics posted soon.

Enjoyed visiting the event quite a bit. 

Just a little bit of Scrooge - the volume on the music was so high, we couldn't get inside to see the actual museum - that volume is actually painful to old ears like I got.  And I forgot to bring hearing protection.  Windows outside in the hall are very nice.  Will try to get back when there isn't quite as much excitement (music).

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 08:59:46 am »

Sorry about that.  It was a bit loud even for me (believe it or not I did actually make them turn the volume down a few notches lol).  In the future will definitely have to be more careful, consider the audience and perhaps have a warning lol.   I wasn't exactly sure how this event would turn out for we kind of let the OSU kids do their thing and it turned out to be one that may have appealed more to a younger crowd. Kind of a "showing how Art Deco remains relevant today sort of thing".  A lot of the people who are art deco fans are my age and older and we certainly will have plenty of more "low key" events that will cater to them so don't worry.  But anyway, sorry again about the "excitement".  Please come back again and check out our digs when its a regular day and all we have is our little, old timey, record player crooning along in the background and not a DJ in dreadlocks belting out, whatever that was lol. 

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 02:35:56 pm »

Sorry about that.  It was a bit loud even for me (believe it or not I did actually make them turn the volume down a few notches lol).  In the future will definitely have to be more careful, consider the audience and perhaps have a warning lol.   I wasn't exactly sure how this event would turn out for we kind of let the OSU kids do their thing and it turned out to be one that may have appealed more to a younger crowd. Kind of a "showing how Art Deco remains relevant today sort of thing".  A lot of the people who are art deco fans are my age and older and we certainly will have plenty of more "low key" events that will cater to them so don't worry.  But anyway, sorry again about the "excitement".  Please come back again and check out our digs when its a regular day and all we have is our little, old timey, record player crooning along in the background and not a DJ in dreadlocks belting out, whatever that was lol.  

I had no problem with the style - the entire event was good.  It even appealed to this old guy - but then, one of the kids keeps telling me she is gonna have to come back home to finish raising me.  Says I am 50-something going on 16.  The volume was the only distraction.

No problem at all with dreadlocks or the guy wearing them.  (Remember Bob Marley?)  I like variety a lot.  The more the merrier. 

« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 02:39:34 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 02:38:58 pm »

I had no problem with the style - the entire event was good.  It even appealed to this old guy - but then, one of the kids keeps telling me she is gonna have to come back home to finish raising me.  Says I am 50-something going on 16.  The volume was the only distraction.

You'll have to speak up, I can't hear you.   Grin

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 02:39:48 pm »

You'll have to speak up, I can't hear you.   Grin

What??

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org