A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 10:09:01 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The state wants to charge us for processing our online income-tax filing  (Read 3321 times)
joiei
City Father

« on: June 11, 2009, 11:58:48 am »

From the Tulsa World http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20090611_16_A5_OLHMIY12585&archive=yes

First they encourage all of us to file online and now they want us to pay for the processing.  This could be called a processing tax. 

The Oklahoma Tax Commission received approval Wednesday to impose a 50-cent fee on returns filed electronically.

About 800,000 Oklahomans file their returns electronically, said Russell Hulin, finance officer for the agency.

The Tax Commission now absorbs the cost of processing those forms, which amounts to about $400,000.

The commission is looking for ways to reduce costs after its budget for the upcoming fiscal year was cut by about $3.5 million, he said.

It's possible that the fee would be unnecessary if the firm that administers the state's Web site can develop a program to process the forms, he said.

Hulin told members of the Internet Application Review Board that the Tax Commission encourages taxpayers to file electronically.

It costs the commission $3 to $5 to process paper forms compared with 50 cents for the electronic forms, he said.

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 12:08:00 pm »

Really, they want to tax you for paying your taxes? 

Well I for one think that we are just stupid enough to let this happen.

Good job state government, you've sized us up just right.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Wilbur
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 12:13:05 pm »

Sadly.... only in Oklahoma.

If this is imposed, I will be mailing in my returns from now on.

They want to charge me 50 cents so I can save the state $4.50.  Fools!!
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 01:44:37 pm »

lol.  If this tax is passed I will insist that mine is filed on paper.  Just to spite those dumb bureaucrats. 

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 02:36:09 pm »

Heck, the stamp will cost you .42 ...and that's assuming you use the EZ form!

My question: wouldn't the .50 be tax deductable?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 05:44:11 pm »

I wish I could get the income the state does for a mere $.50 cost per invoice.   I could invest a few $ and live the way I would like to become accustomed to.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org