A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 04:00:20 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mid-town WalMart Market in old Homelands : 31st & Harvard  (Read 29267 times)
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2014, 03:31:00 pm »

You know, that whole area from Redfork, along 75S to I-44 to the turnpike gate and along SW Blvd has been under served for decades it seems. I think that WH Market has been at 51st & Union (I know it was in the strip mall just NW of it before they built the current one) since the 60's. IIRC wasn't there a Safeway then Homeland at W41st and Hwy 97 years ago?

41st and HWY 97 is Prattville — you can't really count it as part of the Westside. There was a Safeway in Crystal City until sometime in the 80s.

I worked at the original Warehouse Market at 48th & Union when I was 15. It was actually called Family Market at that time. When it was rebuilt after the tornado hit it, they renamed it Family Market. Went back to being called Warehouse Market when the current location was built, IIRC.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2014, 04:50:30 pm »

41st and HWY 97 is Prattville — you can't really count it as part of the Westside. There was a Safeway in Crystal City until sometime in the 80s.

I worked at the original Warehouse Market at 48th & Union when I was 15. It was actually called Family Market at that time. When it was rebuilt after the tornado hit it, they renamed it Family Market. Went back to being called Warehouse Market when the current location was built, IIRC.

Damn, that brings back memories.  My dentist was in that shopping center for years.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2014, 06:18:07 pm »

Yeah, I wasn't trying to count it as part of the Westside, was just referencing. Knew the Crystal City one closed but did not remember when, thanks. I'm trying to remember if there was a grocery market in Town West out near the Turner when they built it. I know there was a Froug's there, but don't remember a market.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2014, 07:25:03 pm »

Yeah, I wasn't trying to count it as part of the Westside, was just referencing. Knew the Crystal City one closed but did not remember when, thanks. I'm trying to remember if there was a grocery market in Town West out near the Turner when they built it. I know there was a Froug's there, but don't remember a market.

There was a grocery store in Town West several years ago. The name escapes me now, but it is coming on 16 years ago that my cousin who worked there was abducted and murdered. Dena Dean. She was 16. This year she will have been gone as long as she was alive. Sad sad sad. No arrests ever made in the case.

Ah! I just remembered, it was Marvin's. I never shopped there though.

But, I tell ya, back in my day... lol ...at the Family Market, we knew how to sack some groceries. We packed them properly, in paper sacks, never too heavy and then we carried them out for you.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2014, 08:47:58 pm »

There was a grocery store in Town West several years ago. The name escapes me now, but it is coming on 16 years ago that my cousin who worked there was abducted and murdered. Dena Dean. She was 16. This year she will have been gone as long as she was alive. Sad sad sad. No arrests ever made in the case.

But, I tell ya, back in my day... lol ...at the Family Market, we knew how to sack some groceries. We packed them properly, in paper sacks, never too heavy and then we carried them out for you.

Crap, I didn't realize Dena was your cousin.  Her family was well-known in the local racing community.

I don't remember that being "Marvins" for some reason. I thought it was an IGA or Bud's Thrif-T-Wise.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2014, 08:58:26 pm »

I'll tell ya, my 87 year old mom appreciates that kind of service and it really still does exist in a few places. I get to unload her car at home.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2014, 09:20:38 pm »

I remember that. I know of a similar case with a family friend.

As for bagging groceries, I worked at McCartney's and the taught us the same thing, and the way you knew you did it right was to tear the bag at the corners all the way down, and everything was supposed to stay in place. Also if "popped" a bag open and got caught, you were docked 15 or 30 minutes. They would send you home before your shift ended.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2014, 09:28:21 am »

I remember that. I know of a similar case with a family friend.

As for bagging groceries, I worked at McCartney's and the taught us the same thing, and the way you knew you did it right was to tear the bag at the corners all the way down, and everything was supposed to stay in place. Also if "popped" a bag open and got caught, you were docked 15 or 30 minutes. They would send you home before your shift ended.

51st & Harvard Albertson’s alumni here. We didn’t get penalized for broken bags and we were trained pretty well.  The only time I recall struggling with bagging was when they would do a 2 liter bottle promotion with Pepsi or Coke at 50 cents a bottle or whatever price it was.  10 bottle limit and a PITA to try and bag efficiently.

I always liked Saturday or Sunday shifts as the “courtesy clerks”, as we were called, got to rotate off the registers to do detail cleaning and stocking chores for awhile which broke up the monotony of an eight hour shift.  That was the first job I had where I realized I enjoyed work with lots of public interaction.  I never realized that would eventually lead to a long career in sales.  Fun times.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rdj
City Father

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2014, 10:02:39 am »

Worked in an Albertson's in my hometown as a "courtesy clerk" in my high school days.  Still grumble at the way the kids at Reasor's bag my groceries and I know they grumble back when I request paper not plastic.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2014, 10:09:57 am »

http://plasticbagbanreport.com/

Power is nothing till you use it.
saintnicster
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2014, 10:51:46 am »

Yep, I figured that the paper bags are easier to recycle.  Imagine my surprise when they weren't listed on any of the Tulsa MET centers on the website.  Luckily, the BA center took them for me Smiley  Is the "new center" advertised on the site going to take them (and cardboard)?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2014, 11:34:16 am »

Brown bags do compost, there’s one more way to recycle.

dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2014, 12:41:06 pm »

51st & Harvard Albertson’s alumni here. We didn’t get penalized for broken bags and we were trained pretty well.  The only time I recall struggling with bagging was when they would do a 2 liter bottle promotion with Pepsi or Coke at 50 cents a bottle or whatever price it was.  10 bottle limit and a PITA to try and bag efficiently.

I always liked Saturday or Sunday shifts as the “courtesy clerks”, as we were called, got to rotate off the registers to do detail cleaning and stocking chores for awhile which broke up the monotony of an eight hour shift.  That was the first job I had where I realized I enjoyed work with lots of public interaction.  I never realized that would eventually lead to a long career in sales.  Fun times.

The penalty wasn't for breaking a bag, it was for that quick downward arm motion that opened a paper bag with the "pop" sound as it snapped open. The reasoning for it at McCartney's was that a bagger did that and accidently hit a child in the face with the corner of the bag. No one sued (imagine that) but management did not want to pay any more medical bills.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2014, 01:23:18 pm »

The penalty wasn't for breaking a bag, it was for that quick downward arm motion that opened a paper bag with the "pop" sound as it snapped open. The reasoning for it at McCartney's was that a bagger did that and accidently hit a child in the face with the corner of the bag. No one sued (imagine that) but management did not want to pay any more medical bills.

Ah yes, the old bag pop.  Couldn’t think for the life of me what you were referring to.  Hard to resist doing that when you are slammed on Saturday afternoon or right before a big storm.

Rookie Okie
Civic Leader

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2014, 01:33:55 pm »

Did you provide double bagging upon request?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org