A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 10:39:48 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi, Cupcake to open next to Fleet Feet and Lee's Bicycles  (Read 17272 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« on: October 28, 2010, 08:34:25 am »

Strange combo with the other two stores but sounds like a cool concept.  Amazing how fast that building filled up.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectid=46&articleid=20101028_46_E1_CUTLIN195401

Elizabeth Ellison hopes her upcoming business is the icing on the cupcake for the Blue Dome district's growing array of restaurants.

With flavors such as banana honey and chocolate espresso, the Tulsa entrepreneur and Spirit Award finalist plans to open a bakery called Hi, Cupcake in the area east of downtown in January.

"Our definition of cupcakes is a little different from others'," said Ellison, daughter of former Mayor Kathy Taylor. "We make anything you can fit into a cupcake pan."

In addition to traditional high-end cupcakes with gourmet ingredients, she plans to bake savory cupcakes with bacon and cheese as well as cupcake-size quiches.

Hi, Cupcake will be in the Lee's Bicycles building at Second Street and Frankfort Avenue, which also is home to the Fleet Feet running store. The bakery will be final occupant of the renovated 14,000-square-foot building.

The 2,700-square-foot shop will have a bakery as well as retail and small dining areas.

Ellison, who is running the business with co-manager and marketing director Christina Merlo, said she hopes to use the downtown locale to appeal to corporate clients interested in having cupcakes catered to events and meetings.

Hi, Cupcake will also make gluten-free cupcakes, vegan specialties and use locally sourced ingredients.

Ellison said she hopes to use other eco-friendly products to make the restaurant almost completely green.

The entrepreneur caught cupcake fever while attending law school at the University of Oklahoma and decided to pursue the idea after graduating.

"I was spending more time baking cupcakes for my study group than anything else," she said.

Earlier this year she and Merlo joined the SpiritBank/Tulsa Community College Entrepreneurial Spirit Award competition. The duo didn't win, but their strong showing was enough to spur them to open the business.

Ellison said she has been inventing and perfecting cupcake recipes during the last six months through the catering arm of her business.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 09:28:20 am »

All you exercisers have the running store and the biking shop.

Finally, a place for me.

Power is nothing till you use it.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 11:24:58 am »

Cupcake stores are a trend that is gaining momentum but I think the placement is wrong. Hard to pay the rent on 2,700 sq feet of space in a predominately bar district selling 3 sq inches of cake.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 12:09:40 pm »

Cupcake stores are a trend that is gaining momentum but I think the placement is wrong. Hard to pay the rent on 2,700 sq feet of space in a predominately bar district selling 3 sq inches of cake.

Agree, this seems more of a fit in Brookside (like the old Kokoa/Caramel space) or Utica Square (vacant Crabtree & Evelyn space)..

Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 12:36:34 pm »

The article says they're trying to capture the downtown office market.  I'd think a storefront closer to Main Mall might make sense, but I see what they're trying to do in Blue Dome.  Best of luck...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 01:12:09 pm »

I'm guessing the pockets are pretty deep and they can last for a while even if business doesn't start off briskly.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 02:37:03 pm »

Emphasis on trend.

I hope Adam gets a good chunk of rent up front.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rdj
City Father

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 10:46:37 am »

Emphasis on trend that has already passed in major markets.

It is good to have another day time spot open in the Blue Dome.  Now if Lyon's Indian Store will ever get moved into the Ridgeway's space at 1st & Detroit.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 08:12:39 pm »

Emphasis on trend that has already passed in major markets.

It is good to have another day time spot open in the Blue Dome.  Now if Lyon's Indian Store will ever get moved into the Ridgeway's space at 1st & Detroit.

I noticed Ridgeways was empty. Maybe the cupcakery should've gone next to Mazzios.
mobboss
Activist

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 12:09:34 pm »

hello tulsa.

agreed, in other parts of the usa, the cupcake trend has peaked but im still a sucker for good red velvet

zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 02:55:08 pm »

Ya I see a short term tenant here....geeesh..really? the place on 71st has lost most of its charm from what I saw last time I went in there...I went a year ago..a few cupcakes left for sale..the other day..three-four rows left over....
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 04:37:34 pm »

Ya I see a short term tenant here....geeesh..really? the place on 71st has lost most of its charm from what I saw last time I went in there...I went a year ago..a few cupcakes left for sale..the other day..three-four rows left over....

I think they will do fine if they can get their catering business off the ground.  Though I still think 2nd & Frankfurt is an odd location for them but I'm looking forward to trying it.

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 01:12:59 pm »

Scratch the cupcake business.
"Vixen studios" is well along in their build out of the space next to Fleet Feet and Lee's Bicycles.
Some women's fitness joint that seems to be going for the birthday n bachelorette party crowd.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 01:51:55 pm »

That's an interesting business model for a building with so much glass on its street side.
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 05:45:29 pm »

When does it open?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org