A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 12:09:29 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wood Source?  (Read 4543 times)
godboko71
Philanthropist

« on: June 04, 2012, 03:52:28 pm »

I apologize in advance for yet another question!

For those meat smokers out there, where do you get your wood? We used to have an Apple and Pear tree lost em a few years ago and have finally ran out of wood. We can not find the right mix of wood, from the stuff at home depot. lowes, insert store here. While none of it tastes bad it doesn't have the complexity of the fruit woods, not even the fruit woods. So my guess is there source sucks heck half the time its mixed even though it might say its hickory or apple or cherry.

So where do you get your wood? we smoke chicken, pork, and beef. Might do some sausage if I ever get brave enough but would like to get my main wood mix right again.

Thank you,
Robert Town
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 03:55:47 pm »

I haven't used it, but Harvard Meats has a wide variety of wood chunks available. I know I saw pear when I was in there the other day.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 03:59:23 pm »

I haven't used it, but Harvard Meats has a wide variety of wood chunks available. I know I saw pear when I was in there the other day.

I will check it out, not been in yet this summer.

Thank you,
Robert Town
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 04:06:26 pm »

Perry’s at 8th & Lewis usually has all the different fruit woods.  I’ve seen plum, apricot, apple, pear, cherry, and I’m sure a few others I’ve forgotten there.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 07:42:56 pm »

If anyone needs a lifetime supply of pecan, just let me know.  BYO chainsaw, splitter and trailer.  Last May a tornado ripped through my aunt's farm in Stillwater.  Took out a peacan tree with a trunk that's too large for our chainsaw...
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 11:53:56 am »

We have friends at the city, and at PSO that supply us with wood.  We also have a steady flow of fans that email us when they have a supply of the exotic (peach, pear, apple, alder, guava, avocado).

We age for 18-24 months before using.  Any more that that and it's just fuel, so we burn the rest in our fireplaces.

We're really lucky here in OK to have so much pecan, it's about the best smoking wood available.

I don't trust bagged wood.  There's no QC on those products.  In the past I've purchased apple on a pinch to find that some of the chunks are poplar or other cheap stock.  You really need to know the source, because we've seen people smoking with 5 year old red-oak that they swear up and down is pecan, because that's what "the guy" or "the bag" said.

Old dry wood is going to smell sour and metallic like a fireplace.  Good wood is going to smell rich, woody, nutty, and delicious.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 12:40:27 pm »

P

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 03:13:57 pm »

Good wood is going to smell rich, woody, nutty, and delicious.

That is what she said.   Tongue

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 02:48:29 pm »

The ace stores have a good mix of fruit wood.  But I would check with tree service companies.  There is a place along 169 in owasso (just after Bird Creek bridge- east side) that advertises smoking woods. 

jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 02:50:53 pm »

We're really lucky here in OK to have so much pecan, it's about the best smoking wood available

Too True!

That is what she said.   

SOmebody had to say it.  Smiley

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org