A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 09:51:15 pm
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Passenger Rail Set To Connect OKC, Tulsa  (Read 117074 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #120 on: February 12, 2014, 08:46:18 pm »

I'm hoping the sell-out success of this pilot program will lead to more.  MC and I really want to take a day out and do this but just didn't plan for it this go-round.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #121 on: February 13, 2014, 08:32:21 am »

I'm hoping the sell-out success of this pilot program will lead to more.  MC and I really want to take a day out and do this but just didn't plan for it this go-round.

I'm going to be the local "waaaah waaaaaaaah'er" and say:

Since it seemed to work out, someone in power will make a decision and ruin it...waaaaah waaaaaaaaaaah.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #122 on: February 13, 2014, 09:37:22 am »

I'm going to be the local "waaaah waaaaaaaah'er" and say:

Since it seemed to work out, someone in power will make a decision and ruin it...waaaaah waaaaaaaaaaah.

Well thank you Mr. Wet Blanky!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dioscorides
Civic Leader

« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2014, 03:31:21 pm »

After losing bid, Iowa Pacific offers to start regional passenger rail by late May

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/transportation/after-losing-bid-iowa-pacific-offers-to-start-regional-passenger/article_41237f8d-9ae7-5f6d-81a1-a8c05d654b77.html

By CURTIS KILLMAN World Staff Writer

A losing bidder involved in the state's proposed sale of a rail line between Sapulpa and Midwest City has offered to begin regular passenger service along the route by Memorial Day weekend.

Iowa Pacific announced Wednesday that it has formally requested the state Department of Transportation, which owns the Sooner Sub rail line, to permit the Chicago-based company to begin regular passenger service this spring.

Iowa Pacific just wrapped up a sold-out inaugural run of three passenger train trips between Sapulpa and the Midwest City area. The route has been dubbed the Eastern Flyer.

"The people along the Sooner Sub corridor have been waiting patiently for rail passenger service," said Ed Ellis, president of Iowa Pacific. "We are thrilled with the communities' response and would like to continue serving them with exceptional rail travel."

Iowa Pacific was one of four companies that had sought to purchase the rail line after ODOT requested bids earlier this year.

On Friday, a review committee composed of five members of Gov. Mary Fallin's cabinet trimmed the list of bidders to two, Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway Co. and Watco Cos. The state is now conducting one-on-one negotiations between them.

BNSF is owned by billionaire investor Warren Buffett's company, Berkshire Hathaway Inc. A subsidiary of the Omaha, Neb.-based company, BH Media, bought the Tulsa World last year.

Watco owns Stillwater Central Railroad Co., which has a lease with the state until Dec. 31, 2017, to manage and operate the 97.5-mile long Sooner Sub and another line between Stillwater and Pawnee.

Iowa Pacific operated the three 300-passenger excursion trips through an agreement with Stillwater Central.

Advocates of passenger rail service in the Tulsa area have urged the state not to sell the Sapulpa-Del City line.

Iowa Pacific said in a news release it was prepared to begin regular service by Memorial Day weekend, with phased improvements to come over the next two years. The company has asked that the contract development be independent of any potential sale of the line.

The state has included stipulations in the proposed sale that include requiring the buyer to honor the lease with Stillwater Central.

Additionally, the request for proposals state that the "purchaser should anticipate providing commercially reasonable procedures for allowing access to the line by competing railroads and other service providers including passenger rail operations if determined feasible."

Iowa Pacific, in its release, said it will offer transportation beyond the current endpoints of the rail line, including access to downtown Tulsa in about six months.

The Iowa Pacific proposal to ODOT includes dedicated shuttles to take guests to city centers, universities, airports and even Bartlesville.

Iowa Pacific will also develop shared shuttles and other methods of personalized transportation to allow the Eastern Flyer to serve as a common link for all residents and businesses, according to the release.

The release said access to downtown Oklahoma City would take longer to develop.

Ellis could not be reached for further comment.

A spokesman for ODOT did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Curtis Killman 918-581-8471

curtis.killman@tulsaworld.com

There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says 'Good people drink good beer.' Which is true, then as now. Just look around you in any public barroom and you will quickly see: bad people drink bad beer. Think about it. - Hunter S. Thompson
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2014, 04:30:16 pm »

What I wouldn't do for a rail line from Tulsa to Dallas.  With my new business I have to go to Dallas every couple months or so and could go more if there were decent rail transit and I didn't have to drive.  And it would be nice if my reps in the Dallas area could come to Tulsa via rail. 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2014, 09:10:20 pm »

What I wouldn't do for a rail line from Tulsa to Dallas.  With my new business I have to go to Dallas every couple months or so and could go more if there were decent rail transit and I didn't have to drive.  And it would be nice if my reps in the Dallas area could come to Tulsa via rail. 

I think a rail line direct from Tulsa to Dallas could be successful.  Just curious, what kind of ride time would you be willing to accept?

Door to door, you can pretty much drive as fast as fly there.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2014, 11:26:59 am »

I think a rail line direct from Tulsa to Dallas could be successful. 

Gotta give the Whirled credit for putting their cards on the table.
Now if we could just give serous thought to a line North.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2014, 10:05:46 am »

This part is exciting, but vague. Is the proposal for extending the rail aspect into Tulsa downtown or via a shuttle?

Iowa Pacific, in its release, said it will offer transportation beyond the current endpoints of the rail line, including access to downtown Tulsa in about six months.

The Iowa Pacific proposal to ODOT includes dedicated shuttles to take guests to city centers, universities, airports and even Bartlesville.

Iowa Pacific will also develop shared shuttles and other methods of personalized transportation to allow the Eastern Flyer to serve as a common link for all residents and businesses, according to the release.

The release said access to downtown Oklahoma City would take longer to develop
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2014, 08:53:07 pm »

I think a rail line direct from Tulsa to Dallas could be successful.  Just curious, what kind of ride time would you be willing to accept?

Sometimes it was quicker for me to drive from 101st & Yale to my company a mile beyond Texas Stadium than to fly from TUL to DFW, and commute on each end.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #129 on: February 25, 2014, 07:45:30 am »

6-8 hours would work. Any shorter times would be fantastic of course.  Driving may be quicker, but in essence I am losing 4 ish hours of productive work time when I drive, so anything where I would lose less productivity or "relaxation" time would be preferable.  Would rather be working on my laptop or reading a book.  Rail is more comfortable and relaxing than flying, and you can look out on the scenery if you like.  Also I am hoping that in time a Tulsa to Dallas line would have more convenient/seamless connectivity to the places I would want to go. I like how when you step off a train in Europe your steps away from street life, which is not the case once you land at an Airport anywhere. 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2014, 08:32:27 am »

This part is exciting, but vague. Is the proposal for extending the rail aspect into Tulsa downtown or via a shuttle?

The release said access to downtown Oklahoma City would take longer to develop

I found my answer in PonderInc's post that I had not read. I think this is very exciting...getting to Downtown OKC does allow you to connect to FortWorth via the Heartland Flyer. From FTW, you can go to Dallas on the TRE or to almost anywhere really.

Also, they said that in the future, they could actually go from Tulsa's Depot to the Santa Fe Depot in OKC (where the Amtrak station is, I think).  That would be ideal.  We had to do a short bus transfer from the train yard in OKC to get to Bricktown.  That's OK for these preliminary excursions, but it would be way better to go station to station.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2014, 09:54:17 am »

6-8 hours would work. Any shorter times would be fantastic of course.  Driving may be quicker, but in essence I am losing 4 ish hours of productive work time when I drive, so anything where I would lose less productivity or "relaxation" time would be preferable.  Would rather be working on my laptop or reading a book.  Rail is more comfortable and relaxing than flying, and you can look out on the scenery if you like.  Also I am hoping that in time a Tulsa to Dallas line would have more convenient/seamless connectivity to the places I would want to go. I like how when you step off a train in Europe your steps away from street life, which is not the case once you land at an Airport anywhere. 

You know, that’s a good point I’ve never really considered in terms of relaxation or productivity time if you can get work done via computer.  With jet flights being about 45 minutes to Dallas there’s barely any time to get much accomplished on the computer between the time they allow you to get it out and when it has to be stowed away.  Air travel for that short of a distance is anything but relaxing.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #132 on: February 25, 2014, 12:07:13 pm »

You know, that’s a good point I’ve never really considered in terms of relaxation or productivity time if you can get work done via computer.  With jet flights being about 45 minutes to Dallas there’s barely any time to get much accomplished on the computer between the time they allow you to get it out and when it has to be stowed away.  Air travel for that short of a distance is anything but relaxing.

Especially when you fly in, drive to Richardson and then fly out again on the same day...do that all of the time and it makes for a Smooty day.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #133 on: March 02, 2014, 04:27:15 pm »

You know, that’s a good point I’ve never really considered in terms of relaxation or productivity time if you can get work done via computer.  With jet flights being about 45 minutes to Dallas there’s barely any time to get much accomplished on the computer between the time they allow you to get it out and when it has to be stowed away.  Air travel for that short of a distance is anything but relaxing.

Much less "work" to ride the train, especially after one has ridden it a time or two....

The problem with TUL to Ft Worth is that right now, one would have to travel to OKC one day.  Next day get one Heartland Flyer and go to Ft Worth.  Enjoy the stay of anything from an afternoon to days.  Get on train back to OKC.  Next day, return to Tulsa.  3 days minimum - and that if you only need a few hours in TX - an afternoon between OKC/Ft Worth rides.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #134 on: March 02, 2014, 05:29:27 pm »

Much less "work" to ride the train, especially after one has ridden it a time or two....

The problem with TUL to Ft Worth is that right now, one would have to travel to OKC one day.  Next day get one Heartland Flyer and go to Ft Worth.  Enjoy the stay of anything from an afternoon to days.  Get on train back to OKC.  Next day, return to Tulsa.  3 days minimum - and that if you only need a few hours in TX - an afternoon between OKC/Ft Worth rides.

If it was going to eat up a day getting to OKC to catch the flyer, just as well to ride my bicycle there.  Using Route 66, should be at the downtown OKC train station in 7 hours or so unless you stop for a nice lunch at The Rock in Stroud then all bets are off.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org