A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 04:35:40 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Billboard Blight - Seeking stats  (Read 23197 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 07:05:37 am »

geez what kind of logic is that? "let's encourage visual pollution because it makes us tax money"....w t f

I didn't say that.  I did say that it would be something to "be aware of" when mounting an attack.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 11:06:54 am »

An Illinois consumer group's white paper on digital billboards:

http://www.illinoislighting.org/billboards.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 08:15:45 pm »

Driven to Distraction
Digital Billboards, Diversions Drivers Can’t Escape
Fabrizio Costantini for The New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/02/technology/02billboard.html?pagewanted=all

Safety advocates who worry about the dangers of distracted driving have a new concern beyond cellphones and gadget-laden dashboards: digital roadside billboards.

These high-tech billboards marry the glow of Times Square with the immediacy of the Internet. Images change every six to eight seconds, so advertisers can flash timely messages — like the latest headlines, coffee deals at dawn, a cheeseburger at lunchtime or even the song playing on a radio station at that moment.

The billboard industry asserts there is no research indicating they cause crashes, and notes that the signs do not use video or animation.

But to critics, these ever-changing, bright billboards are “television on a stick” and give drivers, many of them already calling and texting, yet another reason to take their eyes off the road.

Abby Dart, executive director of Scenic Michigan, a nonprofit group trying to block construction of new digital billboards in the state, calls the signs “weapons of mass distraction” and says they can be more dangerous than phones.

“You can turn off your phone,” she said. “The billboard gets your attention whether you want to give it or not.”

Last Thursday, Michigan lawmakers held hearings on legislation, the first of its kind, that would impose a two-year moratorium on the construction of new billboards. Minnesota’s legislature is scheduled to hold hearings this month on a similar moratorium. As digital billboards begin to pop up around the country, questions about whether to regulate the emerging technology are being asked in other states as well, and by federal officials.

The Federal Highway Administration has been conducting a study, which it says will be completed this summer, that uses eye-trackers inside cars to see whether drivers who have volunteered for the study look at the digital billboards, and for how long. The agency also has organized a tour this spring to take researchers to various cities around the world to study how other nations are regulating digital billboards.

In the United States, only about 2,000 of the nation’s 450,000 billboards are digitized, but the industry expects there to be tens of thousands of them, as many as 15 percent of its overall inventory.

The signs are typically used in busy traffic areas, where advertisers are willing to pay a premium for them. A digital billboard costs $250,000 to $300,000, roughly half what it did five years ago, but much more than the $5,000 to $50,000 for a traditional billboard.

Space on the digital signs fetches a premium in part because up to six advertisers can share a single location. Traditional billboards fetch a wide range of monthly rents (from $1,000 to $5,000 depending on location and audience) and the digital versions cost the same or a bit more, but the industry benefits by selling that space at that price to more than one advertiser.

Rather than settling the matter, existing research about digital billboards leaves room for debate on the danger.

One 2007 study, from the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute, which used in-car cameras to study motorists, found that digital billboards did not change driver behavior more than ordinary billboards.

But critics note that the study was financed by the billboard industry and that it was found to be biased by reviewers who rejected it for publication in 2008 by the Transportation Research Board, a Congressionally chartered agency.

Even the researcher who led the Virginia Tech institute project, Suzanne Lee, while defending her science as sound, said that the potential for drivers to be distracted by the new billboards — and digital signs that use video and animation — should be investigated further.

“If we don’t study this, and get on top of it right now while the capabilities are expanding, every roadway will be filled with flashing lights and video,” said Ms. Lee.

For decades, the Federal Highway Administration has provided regulations to states governing free-standing billboards that prohibit them from having “flashing, intermittent or moving light or lights.”

But in 2007, the agency ruled that the free-standing digital billboards did not violate the rule and recommended, among other guidelines, that ads on those billboards stay in place at least four seconds and that they not be “unreasonably bright.”

Last week, the Georgetown Institute for Public Representation, a public interest law group, filed a petition with the highway administration asking it to reverse the earlier decision, which would have the effect of banning new digital billboards that include flashing, intermittent or moving lights, and requiring the dismantling of existing ones.

The billboard industry argues that the new signs are part of a larger technological and economic shift to a paperless society (no more crews hoisting and removing ads from billboards) and that they give advertisers more flexibility.

Marketing materials published last year by Clear Channel, one of the nation’s biggest billboard companies, say the digital billboards are, among other things, ideal for posting game scores by advertisers like radio stations and sports bars. News organizations can also use them — “as the Web site headline changes, so does the digital billboard,” the materials say.

”It’s a very flexible, very responsible medium and very impactful,” said Ron Cooper, chief executive of Clear Channel Outdoor, which has 450 digital billboards and plans to add 150 more this year. Big corporations that have used them include ABC, AT&T, Coca-Cola, McDonald’s, General Mills, Ford and Verizon. “Consumers report seeing it, remembering the brand, remembering the advertisers.”

He and others in the industry say they have been careful to make the signs memorable but not distracting. They say the “television on a stick” label is an exaggeration.

“It’s a slide projector — it shows one image after the next,” said Bill Ripp, a vice president who oversees digital billboards for Lamar Advertising, another large billboard company. “We were as concerned as anybody. We wouldn’t want to cause danger.”

The industry has found an ally in some crime-fighting groups and agencies, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, which use the new signs to broadcast images of fugitives or of abducted children.

“We’ve had moms grab their sons by the ear and drag them right down to the sheriff’s office because they were embarrassed to see the son on the billboard,” said Bart Dexter, coordinator of the Michigan Crime Stoppers organization, who opposes the Michigan moratorium.

Ms. Dart, from Scenic Michigan, said the potential driver distraction outweighs any help the signs may provide in catching fugitives.

Rebekah Warren, a Democratic state representative from Ann Arbor, who proposed the moratorium, said the bill reflected broader concerns that legislators around the country had about distracted driving. In December, the Michigan House of Representatives passed legislation banning motorists from texting, something its Senate now is considering.

“We are moving so quickly into this digital age,” said Ms. Warren. “We are being cautious in state legislatures around the country on how we keep drivers focused on the road.”

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Liz Wright
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2010, 11:14:33 pm »

Thank you for the wonderful information regarding bill boards. The more the better - I will be happy to take information to the TMAPC work session in July. The newspaper articles and white papers are very helpful.

Liz Wright
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2010, 09:29:34 am »

There's an effort in some states to have billboard companies take over the highway safety signs and sell advertising on them.  These are the "CAUTION - DETOUR AHEAD" -type signs taxpayers paid for that are installed over roadways:

Pa. asking feds to allow ads on electronic highway signs

HARRISBURG — Electronic signs along state highways that warn drivers of accidents, traffic jams and construction could be pitching them products if state officials get their way.

Pennsylvania has joined California and Florida in asking the federal government to allow the sale of advertising on electronic highway signs to generate money to fix roads and bridges.

The states are asking the Federal Highway Administration to waive several regulations that bar advertisements on overhead and roadside changeable signs. States would contract with private companies to upgrade and maintain the electronic signs.

Safety organizations say the electronic signs are risky.

"They can be distracting," said Fairley Mahlum, a spokeswoman for the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety. "Most of the current concern centers around some of the new technology that is being used for signs, especially the ones that are big that use very bright LED lights that often change. Something like that could be very distracting."

Mary Tracy, president of the nonprofit Scenic America, which aims to preserve roadside scenery, said electronic message boards should be identified as a distraction like cell phones.

"There is a growing and sound body of scientific evidence that has confirmed the intuitive notion that a digital billboard, essentially a giant TV on a stick ... poses an unnecessary safety risk to drivers," Tracy wrote last fall.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 10:25:17 am »

Court of Appeals rules digital billboards illegal

The Arizona Court of Appeals has ruled that digital billboards along state and federal highways are illegal because they violate the ban on intermittent light.

The case pitted Scenic Arizona and the Neighborhood Coalition of Greater Phoenix, Inc. against American Outdoor Advertising, Inc. (AOA) and the City of Phoenix Board of Adjustment over permits issued for electronic billboards.  Scenic America filed an amicus brief in the case.

The ruling is significant in several ways, namely because the Court affirms the common definition of what intermittent lighting is.  The argument for whether digital billboards are legal hinges on the fact that billboards with flashing, intermittent or moving lights are banned under the Federal Highway Beautification Act and many state laws, such as Arizona's own Highway Beautification Act.

American Outdoor argued that the lighting on the signs is constant and that the change of message constitutes a change in "copy."  However, the Court said "What American Outdoor calls a change of 'copy' is actually a transition from one lighted image to the next lighted image."

"Because the combination of LEDs used to display each brightly lit image on the billboard changes every eight seconds, the billboard's lighting necessarily is intermittent," the ruling said.

http://scenic.org/blog/133-arizona-court-of-appeals-rules-digital-billboards-illegal
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 10:28:16 am by patric » Logged

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 10:36:30 am »

Court of Appeals rules digital billboards illegal

The Arizona Court of Appeals has ruled that digital billboards along state and federal highways are illegal because they violate the ban on intermittent light.

So does that mean we'll start hearing the "government is getting too big" argument from the OK state reps taking money from sign company lobbyists?  I never know where this stuff leads.

"Save our signs."  "Freedom of digital speech in Oklahoma."  "Arizona court of appeals is too liberal for Oklahoma."
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 10:56:47 am »

So does that mean we'll start hearing the "government is getting too big" argument from the OK state reps taking money from sign company lobbyists?  I never know where this stuff leads.

"Save our signs."  "Freedom of digital speech in Oklahoma."  "Arizona court of appeals is too liberal for Oklahoma."

more likely new legislation will be brought by in pocket congress that will attempt to alter the existing laws to be more amenable to the sign companies.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 12:41:42 pm »

more likely new legislation will be brought by in pocket congress that will attempt to alter the existing laws to be more amenable to the sign companies.

+1
The ruling:  http://scenic.org/storage/documents/CV090489.pdf

ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 06:27:09 pm »

Speaking of overly bright, obnoxious signs, has anyone else seen all the signs up and down memorial?

WAY too bright! On a rainy night they make it hard to see out your windshield. I can't even read them, but somehow having them brighter than the sun makes me more aware of the businesses that advertise on them.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2011, 11:26:49 am »

Speaking of overly bright, obnoxious signs, has anyone else seen all the signs up and down memorial?

WAY too bright! On a rainy night they make it hard to see out your windshield. I can't even read them, but somehow having them brighter than the sun makes me more aware of the businesses that advertise on them.

Ive actually turned some of those in to the MAC.  They get corrected for a few months and then they go back to being almost indistinguishable from emergency vehicle lights.  The net result is people get conditioned to ignore the rapidly flashing lights and dont get out of the way of ambulances.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2011, 12:37:02 pm »

And it makes me want to not patronize them.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2011, 12:48:35 pm »

Makes me very aware of the advertiser and make a point never to do business with them.

Red,....common ground!  How about that?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2011, 03:19:02 pm »

Makes me very aware of the advertiser and make a point never to do business with them.
Red,....common ground!  How about that?

It happens occasionally, except in politics.  I'll need to be more careful about what I write.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2011, 10:28:58 pm »

It happens occasionally, except in politics.  I'll need to be more careful about what I write.

Yeah, I've been meaning to talk to you about that...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org