A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 09:11:17 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hyatt (old Crowne Plaza) downtown paints over murals  (Read 12477 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2011, 01:44:01 pm »

The first year I was asked to paint the mural was the year Sartain did the poster.  I painted a super large version of the kite on the wall.  The Crowne Plaza then painted the wall red and painted over the kite.  I mean how hard would it have been to cover up a rectangle? The next year  I painted some flowers from that years poster.  The next year I painted the bird from the Mayfest Poster I was fortunate to get to paint.  Last year when I added the children from that poster I also went ahead and added the kite back, though it was smaller than it was the first time I painted it.  Then the J@&#%!s painted over everything. Double aaargh.

As for a projector, not sure that would work outside there as bright as it is even at night.  Plus with the size of most things you would probably need a projector thats even more powerful than he one I have.  But for smaller things like the figures I do project parts of them to scale on large sheets of paper, then tape that to the wall in the position I want and trace it onto the wall.  The flowers can be done free hand since they are "organic" and dont have to really be exact.

Just for some opinions...

If I get to do the whole thing over again, would you prefer I do everything back the way I had done it, perhaps with some minor tweaks?  Or, would you think it ok for me to kind of take all the pieces and rearrange/reproportion them into a more coherent whole? 

Though even then, I couldn't predict what each future years artist is going to do, so have to be creative in putting in a piece from the artists work into the mural and thus the mural will never be one perfect scene but an every growing "collage".

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2011, 10:54:43 pm »

Yeah, I can see that all right - projector gives up pretty quick at larger scale.

What to do??  I would vote for using your imagination and repeat the best from the old and make improvements where you think they should be.  Must be something that you have thought should be done differently....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2011, 11:32:04 pm »

Artist- considering the owner of the wall didn't think this was historically significant enough to preserve, I'd re-apportion them into a more coherent whole if that's an option.  Either that or start with this year's poster and add on until someone else paints over it.  I'd assumed after they painted over the first one it was intended as temporary work.  Now I'm rather disappointed the Hyatt didn't consider the value your mural added to the downtown streetscape.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2011, 06:40:53 am »

I knew I wasnt crazy. A little bigger than 7 inches across.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=070509_1_A2_LENWo24808

I didn't say the canvas was 7", just the kite.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2011, 08:33:31 am »

Thats cool. I was just asking if it had been painted over. In a round about way I got the answer. I didnt even know that Artist was the one who painted it, and his words saying that he painted a super large version of the "kite" makes it sound a little bigger than 7",

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2011, 08:48:00 am »

7" or 7'?
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2011, 09:03:05 am »

7" or 7'?

Meh. 7

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2011, 10:12:19 am »

Men are always stretching inches

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2011, 11:07:29 am »

I would guess the first kite I painted on the wall was about 30 feet or so from top to tail.  Rumor on the grapevine is that the Hyatt wants something new painted there.  New hotel, new look, kind of thing.  Will probably wait to see what the new poster looks like then go from there.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2011, 08:34:39 pm »

Men are always stretching inches

No advantage to that.  A longer inch would make a 15" fish a 12" fish.

Inches should be compressed to turn a 15" fish into a 18" fish.

Just for instance.

Grin

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2011, 12:07:14 am »

Just for instance.

Grin

Let's see how quickly I can get banned:

Know the difference between a Goldfish and a penis?  If you beat a Goldfish it dies.  Well I guess the penis does too but only for awhile.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2011, 07:06:09 am »

Just for instance.

Grin

Coincidentally someone contacted Mayfest a couple of years ago and said that the ticket price should be changed from 50c to 25c, to make the food half the price.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2011, 08:14:31 am »

Coincidentally someone contacted Mayfest a couple of years ago and said that the ticket price should be changed from 50c to 25c, to make the food half the price.
did it not occure to them that they would just have to use twice as many tickets?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2011, 08:32:17 am »

did it not occure to them that they would just have to use twice as many tickets?

That obvious concept failed them.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org